Is this the right truth table for a negative-logic OR? confused

In summary, the conversation discussed the truth table for a "negative-logic OR" gate, which has two inputs and one output that are all inverted. By using DeMorgan's theorem, the conversation arrived at the truth table of the gate, which showed that the output would be 1 only when both inputs were 0. The conversation also discussed how this gate would function with active low inputs, concluding that it would still function as an OR gate with the same truth table.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, this is the first time programming a digital board without hardwiring. I'm confused on what the truth table of a "negative-logic OR" would look like:

The diagram looks like
Two inputs and 1 output, its an OR gate but both the inputs are sent through an inverter and the output is also inverted so i got the following boolean expression:
_____
'A + 'B = AB
so using Demorgans theroem i get AB,
so if this is the case, the truth table would be
A B Output
0 0 0
0 1 0
1 0 0
1 1 1

is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Code:
A  B  Inv  A'  B'  Or  O  Inv  O'
0  0       1   1       1       0
0  1       1   0       1       0
1  0       0   1       1       0
1  1       0   0       0       1
Assuming that I'm following the process correctly (Invert the inputs -> OR -> Invert the output) I agree with you.

Grogs, thanks for the responce, but what i don't get is, the book says...Since the output of the OR gate is driving the decimal LED signal on the left digit of the two seven-segment display should be off. Which makes sense, since 0 0 is output 0. But then it says Sinc ethe buttons are active low, and the BNOR2 gate also has active low inputs and output, hitting either button should turn on the LED. This makes no sense becuase 1 0 should be 0, 0 1 should be 0, meaning the light shouldn't turn on if just 1 Pushbutton is pressed.

An OR gate with active low inputs still functions as an OR gate (i.e. it has the same truth table).

Claude.

Thank you!:biggrin:

1. What is a negative-logic OR truth table?

A negative-logic OR truth table is a type of logic table that shows the output of a logical operation where the inputs are inverted. In other words, instead of the traditional OR gate where the output is true if at least one input is true, a negative-logic OR gate outputs true only if both inputs are false.

2. How is a negative-logic OR truth table different from a traditional OR truth table?

A traditional OR truth table outputs true if at least one of the inputs is true, while a negative-logic OR truth table outputs true only if both inputs are false. This is the main difference between the two types of logic tables.

3. When is a negative-logic OR truth table used?

A negative-logic OR truth table is often used in digital electronics and computer science, particularly in circuits and programming where it is necessary to invert logic signals. It is also used in certain types of logical operations and in troubleshooting complex logic systems.

4. How do you read a negative-logic OR truth table?

To read a negative-logic OR truth table, you start by looking at the inputs on the left side and their respective states (true or false). Then, you move across the table to the output column and see the resulting output based on the inputs. If both inputs are false, the output will be true. If at least one of the inputs is true, the output will be false.

5. Can a negative-logic OR truth table be used for other logic gates?

Yes, a negative-logic OR truth table can be used for other logic gates, such as NAND and NOR gates. This is because these gates also have inverted outputs, similar to the negative-logic OR gate. However, it is important to use the correct truth table for each gate to ensure the desired logic operation is achieved.