Isomorphism between HK and H x K

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomorphism
In summary: K, we have that (hk)(h’k’) is in HK.Take any two elements of HK, hk and h’k’. Then, we want to show that (hk)(h’k’) is in HK. We note that K is normal, which implies that for kh’, there is some k’’ in K such that kh’=h’k’’ since for all a in G, aK=Ka. Thus,(hk)(h’k)’=h(kh’)k’=h(h’k’’)k
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

H and K are normal subgroups of G such that the intersection of H and K is the identity. Also, G = HK = {hk | h in H and k in K}. Find an isomorphism between G and H x K

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that an isomorphism could be ##\mu : G \rightarrow H \times K## where ##\mu(g) = \mu(hk) = (h, k)##. I think that this will work, and I just want some verification.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's easy to show if ##G## is commutative, right? Can you show it without assuming that?

Last edited:
Dick said:
It's easy to show if ##G## is commutative, right? Can you show it without assuming that?
Yes. Since both h and k are normal and since both h and k are in G, they commute with each other.

Mr Davis 97 said:
Yes. Since both h and k are normal and since both h and k are in G, they commute with each other.

If you are quoting a theorem that says that, then it's wrong. Normality only tells you e.g. ##hkh^{-1}=k'## where ##k'## is in ##K##. You need to use another premise.

I am not sure. I thought that normality said that hg = gh, but since all the k are in hk = kh

Mr Davis 97 said:
I am not sure. I thought that normality said that hg = gh, but since all the k are in hk = kh

No, that's not what normality means. Might be time to look up the definition...

Dick said:
In my textbook: "A subgroup H of a group G is normal of its left and right cosets coincide, that is, if gH = Hg for all g in G."

So we know that gH =Hg for all g and gK = Kg for all g.

Mr Davis 97 said:
In my textbook: "A subgroup H of a group G is normal of its left and right cosets coincide, that is, if gH = Hg for all g in G."

So we know that gH =Hg for all g and gK = Kg for all g.
Yes, but this doesn't mean elementwise, therefore it's only ##gh=h'g## and ##gk=k'g##.

I am not sure how to proceed, because it seems that the statement of normality involves cosets, but I am trying to find a statement involving just elements, hk = kh

Could I do soomething like ##hk = h(h^{-1} k h) = kh##?

edit: nevermind

Mr Davis 97 said:
I am not sure how to proceed, because it seems that the statement of normality involves cosets, but I am trying to find a statement involving just elements, hk = kh
You don't need to and won't find one. Whether you write it as cosets ##gH=Hg## or elementwise ##gh=hg'## doesn't matter.
The point is: Why is ##HK## a group? Or: How do you manage to sort elements of the kind ##hkh'k'## such that you can separate them into ##H \times K##, i.e. pairs ##(h'',k'')\,##?

fresh_42 said:
You don't need to and won't find one. Whether you write it as cosets ##gH=Hg## or elementwise ##gh=hg'## doesn't matter.
The point is: Why is ##HK## a group? Or: How do you manage to sort elements of the kind ##hkh'k'## such that you can separate them into ##H \times K##, i.e. pairs ##(h'',k'')\,##?
Well, since e is in both H and K e is in HK.
We need to show that (hk)(h'k') is also in HK. To do this we would need to have commutativity so that (hk)(h'k') = h(kh')k' = h(h'k)k' = (hh')(kk'). But I haven't shown commutativity yet

Mr Davis 97 said:
Well, since e is in both H and K e is in HK.
We need to show that (hk)(h'k') is also in HK. To do this we would need to have commutativity so that (hk)(h'k') = h(kh')k' = h(h'k)k' = (hh')(kk'). But I haven't shown commutativity yet
You don't need commutativity. Only associativity and ##kh'=h''k##. It is important to end up in the groups ##H## and ##K##, not that the elements are invariant. After that you have to show that ##\mu ## is surjective (obvious) and injective (what do you need here to use?) and a group homomorphism (which is basically the same as to show that ##HK## is a group.)

fresh_42 said:
You don't need commutativity. Only associativity and ##kh'=h''k##. It is important to end up in the groups ##H## and ##K##, not that the elements are invariant. After that you have to show that ##\mu ## is surjective (obvious) and injective (what do you need here to use?) and a group homomorphism (which is basically the same as to show that ##HK## is a group.)
Take any two elements of HK, hk and h’k’. Then, we want to show that (hk)(h’k’) is in HK. We note that K is normal, which implies that for kh’, there is some k’’ in K such that kh’=h’k’’ since for all a in G, aK=Ka. Thus,
(hk)(h’k)’=h(kh’)k’=h(h’k’’)k’=hh’k’’k’. Then since hh’ is in H and k’’k’ is in K, we have that hkh’k’ is in HK.

So will my definition of ##\mu## suffice if I show that it is injective and a homomorphism?

Also, don't I need to eventually show that h and k commute? I am still not sure how to show that

Mr Davis 97 said:
Take any two elements of HK, hk and h’k’. Then, we want to show that (hk)(h’k’) is in HK. We note that K is normal, which implies that for kh’, there is some k’’ in K such that kh’=h’k’’ since for all a in G, aK=Ka. Thus,
(hk)(h’k)’=h(kh’)k’=h(h’k’’)k’=hh’k’’k’. Then since hh’ is in H and k’’k’ is in K, we have that hkh’k’ is in HK.

So will my definition of ##\mu## suffice if I show that it is injective and a homomorphism?

Also, don't I need to eventually show that h and k commute? I am still not sure how to show that

Yes, I think you do need to show ##hk=kh##. I'll give you a big hint. Use that the intersection of ##H## and ##K## is the identity.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Let ##g = hkh^{-1} k^{-1}##. Since ##hkh^{-1} \in K##, ##g \in K##. Since ##kh^{-1} k^{-1} \in H##, we have that ##g \in H##. So g is in the intersection of H and K. But that is just the identity, so ##hk h^{-1} k^{-1} = e## and ##hk = kh##.

Now do I use this to show that ##\mu (g) = \mu(hk) = (h, k)## is a homomorphism?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Let ##g = hkh^{-1} k^{-1}##. Since ##hkh^{-1} \in K##, ##g \in K##. Since ##kh^{-1} k^{-1} \in H##, we have that ##g \in H##. So g is in the intersection of H and K. But that is just the identity, so ##hk h^{-1} k^{-1} = e## and ##hk = kh##.
Yes, right.
Now do I use this to show that ##\mu (g) = \mu(hk) = (h, k)## is a homomorphism?
It's quite obvious, and if you had written it down, it would have been basically of the same length as your question. Only injectivity needs an argument, not really a proof, but a reason.

Mr Davis 97 said:

Well, what would showing ##\mu## is a homomorphism require you to prove??

I know that I would use commutativity to show to show that it's a homomorphism, and injectivity is easy to show.
I'm wondering though whether mu is well-defined. It seems like a strange definition because the image does not involve g but rather h and k. Is the function well-defined precisely because each g is uniquely represented as a product hk for some h and some k? Also, if I were to use the function, given a g in G how would I know how to decompose it into the product hk in order to use the function?

Mr Davis 97 said:
I know that I would use commutativity to show to show that it's a homomorphism, and injectivity is easy to show.
I'm wondering though whether mu is well-defined. It seems like a strange definition because the image does not involve g but rather h and k. Is the function well-defined precisely because each g is uniquely represented as a product hk for some h and some k?
The general case is ##H/(H\cap K) \cong HK/K## for subgroups ##H,K## of ##G## from which ##K## is normal.
In the given case this translates to ##H \cong H/\{1\} =H/(H \cap K) \cong HK/K \cong (H \times K)/K \cong G/K \cong H## and is the reason, why ##H \cap K = \{1\}## is important to answer those questions.
Also, if I were to use the function, given a g in G how would I know how to decompose it into the product hk in order to use the function?
What is ##G## here? The product of subgroups ##HK## or the product ##H\times K##? Which one do you mean?
In the latter case, it's obvious, and in the former, that's what you have shown: that you can sort the elements. So again, what is ##G## in your question?

1. What is an isomorphism between HK and H x K?

An isomorphism between HK and H x K is a bijective map between the two mathematical groups that preserves the group structure. Essentially, it shows that the two groups are structurally equivalent and can be interchanged without changing the overall group properties.

2. How do you prove that there is an isomorphism between HK and H x K?

To prove that there is an isomorphism between HK and H x K, you must show that there exists a bijective map between the two groups and that this map preserves the group operations. This can be shown through calculations and algebraic manipulations.

3. What are the benefits of studying isomorphisms between HK and H x K?

Studying isomorphisms between HK and H x K can help us better understand the structure and properties of these groups. It can also help us identify similarities and differences between these groups, allowing for more generalizations and applications in various fields of science and mathematics.

4. Are all groups isomorphic to HK and H x K?

No, not all groups are isomorphic to HK and H x K. Isomorphism between groups depends on the structure and properties of the groups, so not all groups will have a bijective map that preserves their operations and makes them equivalent to HK and H x K.

5. Can isomorphism between HK and H x K be extended to other mathematical structures?

Yes, isomorphism can be extended to other mathematical structures, such as rings, fields, and vector spaces. However, the conditions for isomorphism may vary depending on the specific structure being studied.