Why Do Different Integration Orders Give Different Results in Double Integrals?

In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of a solid under the surface z = xy and above a triangle with vertices at (1,1), (4,1), and (1,0.2). After setting up the integrals, the individual attempts at solving using Type 1 and Type 2 resulted in different answers. Upon further inspection, it was discovered that there was an error in the equation for the line, leading to the incorrect answer in Type 1. By correcting the equation, the correct answer was obtained.
dlacombe13

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the given solid:
Under the surface z = xy and above the triangle with verticies (1,1), (4,1) and (1,.2)

Homework Equations

Double Integral

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the triangle, and found the the equations of the lines to be:
x = 1;
y = 1;
y = -3x + 7

My issue is, I get different answers when solving using Type 1 and Type 2. Type two gives the right answer, however Type 1 does not. I have also put my Type 1 into a solver and it also gives the wrong answer. So the error must be in the setup and not my integration, but I can't see it.

Type 2:
[itex] \int_1^2 \int_1^{-3x+7} xy = \frac{31}{8} [/itex]

Type 1:
[itex] \int_1^4 \int_1^{-3x+7} xy = \frac{207}{8} [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, be explicit with your integral notation and your dx, dy. (I don't know if there is are standard meanings for "Type 1" and "Type 2" integrals.)
Second, do you mean the third vertex of the triangle is (1, 2)? If so, then check your equation for the line by plugging in some points...

Oh shoot, wow. I realized that I used some illegal algebra which resulted in the wrong equation for the line! The equation of the line is actually supposed to be [itex] y = -\frac{1}{3}x + \frac{7}{3} [/itex] . Now I am getting the right answer. Thanks for questioning my equation.

Likes olivermsun
dlacombe13 said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the given solid:
Under the surface z = xy and above the triangle with verticies (1,1), (4,1) and (1,.2)

Homework Equations

Double Integral

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the triangle, and found the the equations of the lines to be:
x = 1;
y = 1;
y = -3x + 7

My issue is, I get different answers when solving using Type 1 and Type 2. Type two gives the right answer, however Type 1 does not. I have also put my Type 1 into a solver and it also gives the wrong answer. So the error must be in the setup and not my integration, but I can't see it.

Type 2:
[itex] \int_1^2 \int_1^{-3x+7} xy = \frac{31}{8} [/itex]

Type 1:
[itex] \int_1^4 \int_1^{-3x+7} xy = \frac{207}{8} [/itex]
I agree with both points olivermsum made. First, "Type 1" and "Type 2" aren't standard attributes, so these should have been explained.
Second, your integrals are missing the dx and dy parts.
From this -- [itex] \int_1^2 \int_1^{-3x+7} xy = \frac{31}{8} [/itex] -- we can infer that you really mean this:
[itex] \int_1^2 \int_1^{-3x+7} xy dy dx= \frac{31}{8} [/itex], but only because the lower limit of integration for the inner integral suggests that x is the variable for that integral.
To be really explicit, you can do this:
[itex] \int_{x = 1}^2 \int_{y = 1}^{-3x+7} xy ~dy ~dx = \frac{31}{8} [/itex]

Related to Why Do Different Integration Orders Give Different Results in Double Integrals?

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical integration that involves finding the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space. It is represented by two integral symbols and is used to calculate various physical quantities in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is a double integral different from a single integral?

A single integral involves finding the area under a curve in two-dimensional space, while a double integral involves finding the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space. Additionally, a single integral has one variable of integration, while a double integral has two variables of integration.

3. What is the purpose of using a double integral?

The purpose of using a double integral is to calculate the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space. This can be useful in various fields, such as calculating the mass of an object with a varying density or finding the center of mass of an irregularly shaped object.

4. What are some common applications of double integrals?

Some common applications of double integrals include calculating physical quantities such as mass, force, and work in physics; determining the average value of a function in economics; and finding the probability of an event in statistics.

5. What are some common challenges with solving double integrals?

Some common challenges with solving double integrals include choosing the correct order of integration, dealing with complex and multi-variable equations, and determining the limits of integration. It is important to have a solid understanding of calculus and algebra in order to successfully solve double integrals.