IUPAC nomenclature for many multiple bonds

In summary, the rule for numbering carbon atoms in IUPAC nomenclature is that the multiple bond gets the lowest number, no matter what the situation is.
donaldparida
My previous Chemistry teacher while teaching IUPAC nomenclature said that the double bond is always given greater priority over the triple bond and the numbering of the carbon atom chain is done in such a way that the double bond gets the lowest possible number while my present Chemistry teacher says that the numbering of the carbon atoms is done in such a way that the multiple bond gets the lowest number whether it is the double bond or the triple bond (whichever multiple bond is nearest to the end when both the ends are considered, numbering is done from that end).

On surfing through the various sites on the Internet, i came across the lowest sum of locants rule.

I am confused and cannot understand how to number the carbon atoms for IUPAC nomenclature purposes when many multiple bonds are present in the molecule. What is the actual rule?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Very general remark: why don't you try to find IUPAC rules on the IUPAC site to check the source, instead of asking random people on the random site?

If memory serves me well at some point in time IUPAC site was redirecting to the ACD Labs ChemSketch pages as the definitive source, still, that meant it WAS the definitive source.

Borek said:
Very general remark: why don't you try to find IUPAC rules on the IUPAC site to check the source, instead of asking random people on the random site?

If memory serves me well at some point in time IUPAC site was redirecting to the ACD Labs ChemSketch pages as the definitive source, still, that meant it WAS the definitive source.

As the disclaimer on the ACD Labs webpage mentions the current nomenclature rules (2013) is present only in print form due to copyright issues. I don't know how much has changed but I don't think it'll matter to us students.

No matter what the situation is (I admit I have not checked) it doesn't change fact that it is best to consult the original source instead of asking for opinions. That's all I tried to say.

Likes Mastermind01

1. What is the purpose of IUPAC nomenclature for multiple bonds?

IUPAC nomenclature for multiple bonds is used to provide a standardized system for naming compounds with multiple bonds, which helps to accurately describe and differentiate between different chemical structures.

2. How are multiple bonds named according to IUPAC nomenclature?

Multiple bonds are named by indicating the number and type of bonds between atoms in a compound, such as single, double, or triple bonds. The location of the multiple bonds is also specified using numerical prefixes.

3. Are there any exceptions or special cases in IUPAC nomenclature for multiple bonds?

Yes, there are some exceptions and special cases in the nomenclature for multiple bonds. For example, if there are multiple multiple bonds between the same pair of atoms, they are named using the prefixes "di-", "tri-", etc. instead of indicating the number of bonds. Additionally, certain functional groups have specific names for multiple bonds, such as "carbonyl" for a double bond between a carbon and oxygen atom.

4. Can the order of multiple bonds affect the naming of a compound?

Yes, the order of multiple bonds can affect the naming of a compound. The longest continuous chain of atoms is used as the main chain for naming, and the multiple bonds are numbered in a way that gives the lowest possible numbers to the bonds. If there is a tie, the multiple bond closest to the end of the chain is given the lowest number.

5. How can I ensure I am using IUPAC nomenclature correctly for multiple bonds?

The best way to ensure correct use of IUPAC nomenclature for multiple bonds is to consult the official guidelines and resources provided by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC). Additionally, practice and familiarity with the rules and common naming conventions can help to ensure accuracy in naming multiple bonds.