Job outlook for a physics degree

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's struggle in choosing a college major. They initially wanted to pursue a biochemistry degree but are now considering physics or engineering due to lower salaries in biochemistry and higher job placement and coop opportunities in engineering. However, there is concern about finding a job in the field of physics in Cincinnati. The other person suggests considering the fact that most people with physics degrees do not end up working in a physics field. The speaker expresses a love for biology and biochemistry, but also acknowledges the lack of high salaries in that field. They seek feedback and suggestions for a suitable major.
Edgewood11
Hello,

My name is John and I live in the cincinnati area in Ohio. I am a senior this year and I am going through the process of finding a college and choosing a major. Initially, I was dead set on a biochemistry degree. However, through research and looking at facts and figures the salary for this major seems quite low. However, physics has always shared a big piece of my heart. I have seen a lot of good average salaries for this field. Can anyone attest? Essentially, I just can't see a physics major getting a job in cincinnati Ohio. I need help! I have also considered engineering due to coop and high job placement. I just need some feedback.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Know that most people who get physics degrees never end up in a physics field. So make sure to consider that when you are looking at statistics.

So essentially you won't even end up doing physics. What would you suggest as a major? I love biology but more specifically biochemistry. However I do not see high salaries. Furthermore, there are not nearly as many coop opportunities as engineering.

Related to Job outlook for a physics degree

What is the job outlook for individuals with a physics degree?

The job outlook for individuals with a physics degree is very promising. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of physicists is projected to grow 7% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations. This growth is attributed to the increasing demand for new technologies and advancements in fields such as renewable energy, medicine, and electronics.

What types of jobs can I get with a physics degree?

There are a variety of career paths that individuals with a physics degree can pursue. Some common job titles for physicists include research scientist, data analyst, engineering physicist, medical physicist, and professor. However, a physics degree can also open up opportunities in fields such as finance, consulting, and patent law.

Do I need a graduate degree to find a job in physics?

While a bachelor's degree in physics can lead to entry-level positions in some industries, a graduate degree is often required for advanced positions and higher salaries. Many research positions and teaching positions at the university level also require a graduate degree. However, some industry positions may value work experience and specialized skills more than a graduate degree.

What skills do I need to succeed in a career with a physics degree?

In addition to a strong foundation in physics principles, individuals with a physics degree typically possess critical thinking and problem-solving skills, strong mathematical and analytical abilities, and proficiency in computer programming and data analysis. Effective communication and collaboration skills are also important for working in teams and presenting research findings.

What industries or fields can I work in with a physics degree?

A physics degree can open up opportunities in a wide range of industries and fields. Some common industries include aerospace, defense, energy, healthcare, and technology. Within these industries, physicists can work in research and development, data analysis, quality control, and more. Additionally, a physics degree can also lead to careers in finance, consulting, and government agencies.