Juggler throws 2 balls - when do they pass

• Thread starter Rbraind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balls
In summary, the juggler throws two balls at 10m/s, with the first ball taking 0.24 seconds to reach the ceiling at a height of 2.4m. As the first ball reaches the ceiling, the juggler throws the second ball at the same speed. The two balls pass each other 0.12 seconds after the second ball is thrown.
Rbraind

Homework Statement

A juggler throws a ball at 10m/s and it takes 0.24 seconds to reach the ceiling which is 2.4m high. As this ball reaches the ceiling he throws a second ball also at 10m/s. How long after 2nd ball is thrown do they pass

Homework Equations

maybe just too late but I am drawing complete blank. I just worked out the time and velocity of the ball and know the same formulas apply- just how, where do i start?

The Attempt at a Solution

?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Rbraind! :wink:

Do y and t equations for each ball.

You need to find where y and t for one are the same as for the other …

what do you get? :smile:

Rbraind said:

Homework Statement

A juggler throws a ball at 10m/s and it takes 0.24 seconds to reach the ceiling which is 2.4m high. As this ball reaches the ceiling he throws a second ball also at 10m/s. How long after 2nd ball is thrown do they pass

Homework Equations

maybe just too late but I am drawing complete blank. I just worked out the time and velocity of the ball and know the same formulas apply- just how, where do i start?

The Attempt at a Solution

?

I don't think u need an equation for this.
Let x be the time after the 2nd ball has passed
Assume that g=10ms^-1
10x + 10x = 2.4m
20x = 2.4m
x = 0.12 second

Related to Juggler throws 2 balls - when do they pass

1. How does a juggler determine when two balls will pass during a juggling routine?

The trajectory of the balls, the speed of the throws, and the distance between the juggler's hands all play a role in determining when two balls will pass. Jugglers use their experience and skill to make split-second calculations and adjustments to ensure smooth passing of the balls.

2. Is there a specific formula or method to determine when two balls will pass?

There is no specific formula or method as it varies depending on the individual juggler's style and technique. However, there are some general principles and techniques that can be learned and applied to improve juggling skills, including understanding parabolas and timing of throws.

3. Can the passing of two balls be predicted precisely?

Due to the many variables involved in juggling, it is not possible to predict precisely when two balls will pass. Even the most skilled jugglers will not be able to determine the exact moment of passing, as slight variations in the throws and catches can affect the timing.

4. Do jugglers need to take into account the weight and size of the balls when determining when they will pass?

Yes, the weight and size of the balls can affect the trajectory and speed of the throws, which in turn can affect when the balls will pass. Jugglers must have a good understanding of the properties of their juggling balls and adjust their technique accordingly.

5. Are there any tips for beginners to improve their passing technique?

Practice and patience are key for improving passing technique. It is also helpful to start with simpler patterns and gradually increase the complexity as skills improve. Additionally, observing and learning from experienced jugglers can provide valuable insights and tips for improving passing technique.