Juntion box wire optimization

In summary, the power company wants to run a wire from the main highway to two isolated farms 12km apart. The junction box should be placed at x=0, which minimizes the total length of wire needed to connect both farms to the main highway. The minimized length is 20km.
hawt_tacos

Homework Statement

Two isolated farms are 12km apart on a straight country road that runs parallel to the main highway 20km away. The power company decides to run a wire from the highway to the junction box, and from there, wired of equal length to two houses. Where should the junction box be placed to minimize the length of wire needed

Homework Equations

[(x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1)^2]^0.5=D

The Attempt at a Solution

I split the distance between the farms in half and used the midpoint as (0,0)

I set the juntion box as (x,0) and one farm house as (0,6)

putting those into the distance formula I got D=[x^2+36]^0.5

taking the derivative of D^2 i get 2x, setting it to 0=2x gives me x=0. a numberline test shows 0 is a min value

after that I put the 0 back in my origiinal D equation which gave me a distance of 6km, however this answer feels wrong since the box would be 20km from the main road. feedback is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I think they want you to minimize the length of ALL of the wire used. Not just the wire connecting the one house to the junction box. Try minimizing (20-x)+2*[x^2+36]^0.5.

annddd that would make more sense, thanks. I was hoping to get a distance and solve using pythagorean, but looking at what you did that would be the wrong direction.

Last edited:

1. What is a junction box wire optimization?

A junction box wire optimization is a process used to improve the efficiency and functionality of electrical wiring in a junction box. It involves rearranging and organizing wires to reduce clutter and minimize the risk of overheating or malfunctions.

2. Why is junction box wire optimization important?

Junction box wire optimization is important because it ensures the safety and reliability of electrical systems. By optimizing the wiring, it reduces the risk of short circuits, fires, and other electrical hazards. It also helps to improve the overall performance and efficiency of the electrical system.

3. How is junction box wire optimization carried out?

Junction box wire optimization is carried out by a trained electrician or technician. They will carefully inspect the junction box and identify any potential issues or areas for improvement. They will then rearrange and organize the wires, making sure to follow safety standards and guidelines.

4. When should junction box wire optimization be done?

Junction box wire optimization should be done periodically, as part of routine maintenance for an electrical system. It should also be done when there are any changes or additions to the electrical system, such as new appliances or renovations. If you notice any signs of electrical issues, it is important to have the junction box wiring optimized as soon as possible.

5. What are the benefits of junction box wire optimization?

The benefits of junction box wire optimization include improved safety, increased efficiency, and better performance of the electrical system. It can also help to save energy and reduce the risk of costly repairs in the future. Additionally, optimized wiring can make it easier to troubleshoot any issues that may arise in the future.