Kinematic Equation Rearrangement

• Thread starter EthanG02
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematic
In summary, the conversation highlights the ability to rearrange simple kinematic equations, specifically solving for Vi from the equation Vf = Vi +a x t. The person needs help with solving for a variable (Vi, Vf, or t) from the equation d= 1/2 (Vi+Vf) t, and also from the equation Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad. The advice given is to expand out any terms and then isolate the desired variable using algebra.
EthanG02
So to an extent, I am able to rearrange simple kinematic equations; I can solve for Vi from the equation
Vf = Vi +a x t, but I need some help with some other kinematic equations.

For my first problem, I need to solve for a variable, (whether it be Vi, Vf, or t) from d= 1/2 (Vi+Vf) t. It seems easy, I know, but I'm just confused on the steps.

For my second problem, I need to do the same, solve for a variable (d,Vi, or a,) from the equation
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad.

If I could get some help fast, that would be great! I have a test on this tomorrow, and I don't look forward to failing it.

Physics news on Phys.org
EthanG02 said:
So to an extent, I am able to rearrange simple kinematic equations; I can solve for Vi from the equation
Vf = Vi +a x t, but I need some help with some other kinematic equations.

For my first problem, I need to solve for a variable, (whether it be Vi, Vf, or t) from d= 1/2 (Vi+Vf) t. It seems easy, I know, but I'm just confused on the steps.

For my second problem, I need to do the same, solve for a variable (d,Vi, or a,) from the equation
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad.

If I could get some help fast, that would be great! I have a test on this tomorrow, and I don't look forward to failing it.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

In your future schoolwork posts here, please use the Homework Help Template that you are provided when starting a new thread. Please do not delete it. It helps you to organize your thoughts, and helps us see what you think the Relevant Equations are.

For your questions above, start by expanding out any terms, and then you can isolate the variable you want to solve for using simple algebra. Can you try that for the two equations you've shown above?

1. What is Kinematic Equation Rearrangement?

Kinematic Equation Rearrangement is a process in physics that involves manipulating the variables and equations of motion to solve for an unknown quantity. It is commonly used in kinematics, which is the study of the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. Why is Kinematic Equation Rearrangement important?

Kinematic Equation Rearrangement is important because it allows scientists to solve for unknown quantities, such as velocity, acceleration, or displacement, using known variables. This is useful in understanding and predicting the motion of objects, which is essential in many fields such as engineering, astronomy, and mechanics.

3. What are the three main kinematic equations?

The three main kinematic equations are the equations of motion for constant acceleration. They are:
- v = u + at
- s = ut + 1/2at2
- v2 = u2 + 2as
where v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, t is time, s is displacement, and a is acceleration.

4. How do you rearrange kinematic equations?

To rearrange kinematic equations, you need to isolate the unknown variable by moving all other variables to the other side of the equation. This is done by using basic algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It is important to remember to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation to maintain equality.

5. Can kinematic equations be used for objects with non-constant acceleration?

No, kinematic equations are only valid for objects with constant acceleration. For objects with non-constant acceleration, more advanced equations such as the equations of motion for variable acceleration are required.