Kinematic modelling of a mechanism (General Crank)

In summary: Based on what you have studied, could you please clarify the meaning of the following terms shown in your assigned problem?Topology of the mechanism (Topología del mecanismo)Equations of restriction (Ecuaciones de restricción)Problem of position (Problema de posición)Equations of movement in augmented formulation (Ecuaciones del movimiento en formulación aumentada)Problem of start-up (Problema de arranque)The topology of the mechanism is the layout of the parts of the mechanism. The equations of restriction are the equations that need to be solved to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of
member 736285
Homework Statement
Kinematics of mechanisms
Relevant Equations
Constraint equations
Hi, I was wondering if you could help me with a job at the university that consists of the kinematic modeling of mechanism number 3 in the image attached to this message.

I have to set up the constraint equations and then solve the position, velocity and acceleration problem. For now I would like to know if the equations that I have raised are correct, especially the prismatic pair, I do not know if I have done it correctly. The exercise is done in Spanish, which is my language.
Mecanismos.png

Attachments

• Ejercicio modelado cinemático.pdf
    602.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you then after everything as a function of ##\theta_1##, ##\dot \theta_1##?

Last edited:
Sorry, I had a couple of errors in Pair R and in Pair P of point C. I'll send it to you again, let's see what you think...

Attachments

• Ejercicio modelado cinemático.pdf
    629.4 KB · Views: 64
Are you trying to find the output of point D as a pure function of the input ##\theta_1##?

jogarta6 said:
I'll send it to you again,
In the future, please learn to use LaTeX to post your math equations directly into the forum. We generally don't allow attachments or images with math in them; they are too hard to quote, and often are very hard to read (yours are legible, fortunately). There is a link to the "LaTeX Guide" below the Edit window. Thank you.

Likes member 736285 and erobz
erobz said:
Are you trying to find the output of point D as a pure function of the input ##\theta_1##?
Yes, I would like the independent variable to always be theta-1.

On the pair P, the angle restriction is that theta3 is always 90º. And then, I have made a simplification, that X3 is 0, since our teacher allows us to simplify the mechanism at our convenience

Last edited by a moderator:
jogarta6 said:
Yes, I would like the independent variable to always be theta-1.

On the pair P, the angle restriction is that theta3 is always 90º. And then, I have made a simplification, that X3 is 0, since our teacher allows us to simplify the mechanism at our convenience
##\theta_3 \equiv 90°## doesn't make sense to me. You said you are after the position, velocity, acceleration of point D? If the angle I have labeled as ##\varphi## is ##90°##, the system is fixed.

1684590714438.png
Please take a moment to learn how to use Latex

erobz said:
##\theta_3 \equiv 90°## doesn't make sense to me. You said you are after the position, velocity, acceleration of point D? If the angle I have labeled as ##\varphi## is ##90°##, the system is fixed.

View attachment 326819Please take a moment to learn how to use Latex
The truth is that I am not very clear about what I have to do... I think I have to obtain the position, velocity and acceleration at all points of the mechanism. I am attaching the work guide to see if you can give me a hand.

Regarding the theta-3 angle, you may find it more meaningful considering that the slider does not have an eccentricity.

Attachments

• Ejercicio_Instrucciones.pdf
    347.2 KB · Views: 73
jogarta6 said:
The truth is that I am not very clear about what I have to do... I think I have to obtain the position, velocity and acceleration at all points of the mechanism. I am attaching the work guide to see if you can give me a hand.

Regarding the theta-3 angle, you may find it more meaningful considering that the slider does not have an eccentricity.
Sorry, I don't speak Spanish. If you don't know what you are supposed to accomplish I don't think I will be able to help much.

I'm imagining the link I have labeled ##r## is spinning with constant angular velocity ##\dot \theta = \rm{const.}##, I find what is the output of point ##D## given ##\dot \theta## to be of interest, but also very messy and much trig\calculus will ensue to get there. Perhaps that is because my methods are unsophisticated. I was going to solve for the ##x,y## coordinates of point ##D## as an explicit function of (##\theta, \dot \theta##), but maybe that is not necessary.

Last edited:
Welcome, José!

Based on what you have studied, could you please clarify the meaning of the following terms shown in your assigned problem?
  1. Topology of the mechanism (Topología del mecanismo)
  2. Equations of restriction (Ecuaciones de restricción)
  3. Problem of position (Problema de posición)
  4. Equations of movement in augmented formulation (Ecuaciones del movimiento en formulación aumentada)
  5. Problem of start-up (Problema de arranque)
Thank you.

1. What is kinematic modelling of a mechanism?

Kinematic modelling of a mechanism is the process of using mathematical equations and computer simulations to analyze the motion and movement of a mechanical system, such as a general crank. It helps to understand how different components of the mechanism work together and how they affect each other's motion.

2. Why is kinematic modelling important?

Kinematic modelling is important because it provides a way to predict and analyze the behavior of a mechanism without having to physically build it. This can save time and resources in the design and testing process, and can also help identify potential issues or improvements before the mechanism is actually built.

3. What is a general crank?

A general crank is a mechanical system that consists of a rotating shaft (crank) connected to a connecting rod and a slider. It is commonly used in engines and machines to convert rotational motion into linear motion.

4. How is kinematic modelling of a general crank performed?

Kinematic modelling of a general crank involves creating a mathematical model of the mechanism using equations and parameters that describe the motion of each component. This model is then simulated using computer software to analyze the behavior of the mechanism under different conditions.

5. What are some applications of kinematic modelling of a general crank?

Kinematic modelling of a general crank can be applied in various industries, such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing, to design and optimize engines, machines, and other mechanical systems. It can also be used for educational purposes to help students understand the principles of motion and mechanics.