Kinematics, deriving equations.

In summary: Anyway, I can try to do that if you'd like.In summary, this student tried to solve a homework problem that asked them to derive equations for position and velocity from definitions, but got confused by the end. They were able to find the answer by integrating a(t) and solving for v(t).
iPhotonHQ

Homework Statement

"Derive the equations for position (in terms of acceleration, initial position, initial velocity, and time) and velocity (in terms of constant acceleration, a, initial velocity, v0, and time, t) from the definitions of position, velocity, and acceleration (derivative definitions).

Homework Equations

x = v0t + (at2)/2
vf = vi + at
x = [(vf + vi) / 2]t
vf2 = vi2 + 2ax
d/dx[x(t)] = v(t)
d/dx[v(t)] = a(t)
xf = xi + ∫ 0tvdt

3. The attempt at solution
I don't know exactly what it is asking. I got confused by the very end... Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm. I'm not sure how to give a hint without pretty much giving it away. Start with your second to last equation and assume acceleration is constant. I think you can tell what to do. (By the way, that's dt, not dx.)

I think some confusion may arise from familiarity. This derivation is how they describe these things in class and right at the front of the book. It seems so basic and fundamental that you have a hard time thinking of it as an answer to a question. Surely it's a starting point not the goal. Surely they want more than this. Nope. That's all they want. They want you to derive your equation 1 and equation 2 starting with your equations 5 and 6 (after you correct them) just like they do in chapter 1.

You have the answer in your relevant equations.

We say that change in position is the velocity.

That is:
\begin{equation}
v(t) = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}
\end{equation}
We used this notation in alegebra-based physics because we are taking the difference between two points which is a secant line (i.e rise/run).

Luckily, you know calculus, where you can find the instantaneous rate of change which is given by a tangent line.

Therefore, our velocity equation becomes:
\begin{equation}
v(t) = \frac{dx}{dt}
\end{equation}

You know that the change in velocity is the acceleration, that is:
\begin{equation}
a(t) = \frac{dv}{dt}
\end{equation}
If a = constant.

Integrate a(t) to get v(t)
If a is a constant, then the integral is simple.
\begin{equation}
v(t) = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} a \ dt = a \int_{t_1}^{t_2} dt = at + c
\end{equation}

but the constant c is in this case, v$_0$ (you're starting velocity)

Follow the logic for the rest of the problem. Keep integrating until you get to position (i.e x(t).)

Wow, okay, I am sort of seeing what the problem is asking. Thanks! I thought for a moment that I needed to derive specific kinematic equations...

1. What is Kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is the purpose of deriving equations in Kinematics?

The purpose of deriving equations in Kinematics is to describe and predict the motion of objects based on their initial conditions and any known forces acting upon them.

3. Can you provide an example of an equation derived in Kinematics?

One example of an equation derived in Kinematics is the equation for displacement, which is given by d = v0t + 1/2at2, where d is the displacement, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration.

4. How is Kinematics related to other branches of physics?

Kinematics is closely related to other branches of physics such as dynamics, which deals with the forces causing the motion, and mechanics, which studies the motion of objects in relation to the forces acting upon them.

5. What are some real-life applications of Kinematics?

Kinematics has many real-life applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, analyzing the motion of planets and satellites, and designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides.