Kinematics question concerning the direction of avg acceleration

In summary, the conversation is about finding the average acceleration of a car that changes its velocity from 25m/s [E] to 25 m/s [S] in 15 seconds. The direction of the acceleration is determined by finding the resultant velocity using a vector diagram and using the Pythagorean theorem. The book's answer is 2.4 m/s^2 [45 degrees S of W] because the change in velocity is in the south-west direction. The eastward component of velocity is affected by the acceleration, which is why the resultant velocity is not in the east direction.
justrandom94
alright so here's a pretty straight forward question asking to find the avg acceleration:

A car with a velocity of 25m/s [E] changes its velocity to 25 m/s in 15s. Calculate
avg acceleration.

So i drew out the vector diagram, found the resultant velocity and solved for the avg acceleration. My answer was right but the direction was wrong. My answer was 2.4 m/s^2 [45 degrees south of east ]
however, the books answer is 2.4 m/s^2 [45 degrees S of W] Can anyone explain to me
why it is south of WEST and not East?

Physics news on Phys.org
if the acceleration was all going south and east then the velocity would only increase in the south and east directions
after the cars velocity has changed, what happened to the eastward component of velocity?

when i drew it out first i drew out the east ward vector then the south one, and the resultant vector connecting the two allows me to use Pythagorean therom so no components were needed to find the resultant velocity, the east velocity and south velocity are at right angles to one another

justrandom94 said:
alright so here's a pretty straight forward question asking to find the avg acceleration:

A car with a velocity of 25m/s [E] changes its velocity to 25 m/s in 15s. Calculate
avg acceleration.

So i drew out the vector diagram, found the resultant velocity and solved for the avg acceleration. My answer was right but the direction was wrong. My answer was 2.4 m/s^2 [45 degrees south of east ]
however, the book's answer is 2.4 m/s^2 [45 degrees S of W] Can anyone explain to me
why it is south of WEST and not East?

You need to find the change in velocity, divided by the elapsed time.

[itex]\vec{\Delta v}=\vec{v}_{\text{final}}-\vec{v}_{\text{initial}}[/itex]

You can also find the change in velocity by asking yourself: what vector must be added to the initial velocity so that the resultant is equal to the final velocity?
[itex]\vec{v}_{\text{final}}=\vec{v}_{\text{initial}}+ \vec{\Delta v}[/itex]​

justrandom94 said:
when i drew it out first i drew out the east ward vector then the south one, and the resultant vector connecting the two allows me to use Pythagorean therom so no components were needed to find the resultant velocity, the east velocity and south velocity are at right angles to one another

okay, the vector that points from the initial velocity to the final velcity, it is the one that gives you the change in velocity, what way is that vector facing?

Related to Kinematics question concerning the direction of avg acceleration

1. What is the definition of average acceleration?

Average acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over a certain period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. How is the direction of average acceleration determined?

The direction of average acceleration is determined by the direction of the change in velocity over time. If the velocity increases, the acceleration is in the same direction. If the velocity decreases, the acceleration is in the opposite direction.

3. Can the direction of average acceleration be different from the direction of velocity?

Yes, the direction of average acceleration can be different from the direction of velocity. This can occur when the object is changing direction or when there is a change in both speed and direction.

4. What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is calculated over a certain period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration gives a general idea of how the velocity changes over time, while instantaneous acceleration gives the exact acceleration at a specific point.

5. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration affects an object's motion by changing its velocity. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the velocity, the object will speed up. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, the object will slow down. If the acceleration is perpendicular to the velocity, it will cause the object to change direction.