Kirchoff's Law - Wire in parallel with light bulb

In summary: Yes. Therefore, the voltage across L1 is...It should be equal to the voltage of the battery. Thanks for your help.
flannabhra

Homework Statement

If you measure the resistance of the three lightbulbs (independently) and get the following values. What is the equivalent total resistance of the circuit, and it’s uncertainty.
[tex] R_1 = (50 \pm 7) \Omega, \ \ R_2 = (720 \pm 30) \Omega, \ \ R_3 = 140 \pm 20) \Omega [/tex]
upload_2015-5-31_2-34-15.png

Now you connect a bare wire (with negligible internal resistance) between to the left and right of L2 respectively in the circuit diagram. What will happen to the brightness of each bulb (i.e. will it increase, decrease, or remain the same)? Justify your results by finding the power of each light bulb in terms of ∆Vbat.

Homework Equations

[tex] \frac{1}{R_{eq}} = \frac{1}{R_{L2}} + \frac{1}{0} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \frac{1}{R_{eq}} = \frac{1}{720 \ \Omega} + \frac{1}{0} [/tex]
[tex] R_{eq} = 0 \Omega [/tex]

Knowing that the resistance in the top half of the parallel component of this circuit is now 0, does that imply that the current, I1, into the parallel component is now equivalent to I2, the current into L2 and the wire? I.E. is there any power going through L3 after the wire is connected?

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
flannabhra said:
Knowing that the resistance in the top half of the parallel component of this circuit is now 0, does that imply that the current, I1, into the parallel component is now equivalent to I2, the current into L2 and the wire? I.E. is there any power going through L3 after the wire is connected?
Well, what do you think? What is the voltage across L2 (and L3)?

Svein said:
Well, what do you think? What is the voltage across L2 (and L3)?
I think that all (minus a negligible amount) the current will flow through the wire, making the Voltage drop across L2 and L3 zero.

flannabhra said:
I think that all (minus a negligible amount) the current will flow through the wire, making the Voltage drop across L2 and L3 zero.
Yes. Therefore, the voltage across L1 is...

It should be equal to the voltage of the battery. Thanks for your help.

1. What is Kirchoff's Law?

Kirchoff's Law, also known as Kirchoff's Circuit Laws, are two principles that govern the behavior of electrical circuits. The first law, known as Kirchoff's Current Law, states that the sum of currents entering and exiting a junction in a circuit must be equal. The second law, known as Kirchoff's Voltage Law, states that the sum of voltages in a closed loop of a circuit must equal zero.

2. What is a wire in parallel with a light bulb?

A wire in parallel with a light bulb refers to a specific configuration in an electrical circuit where the wire and the light bulb are connected to the same two points of the circuit. In this configuration, the current is divided between the wire and the light bulb, allowing them to both receive the same voltage and function simultaneously.

3. How does Kirchoff's Law apply to a wire in parallel with a light bulb?

Kirchoff's Law applies to a wire in parallel with a light bulb by ensuring that the sum of currents entering and exiting the junction where the wire and light bulb are connected is equal. This ensures that the voltage is divided between the two components and that they both receive the necessary amount of current to function properly.

4. What is the purpose of using a wire in parallel with a light bulb in a circuit?

The purpose of using a wire in parallel with a light bulb in a circuit is to provide an additional pathway for the current to flow. This allows for the current to be divided between the components, reducing the strain on the light bulb and potentially increasing its lifespan. It also ensures that the light bulb receives the necessary voltage to function properly.

5. Are there any limitations to Kirchoff's Law in a wire in parallel with a light bulb?

While Kirchoff's Law is generally applicable to a wire in parallel with a light bulb, there are a few limitations to consider. For example, Kirchoff's Law assumes that the wire and light bulb have negligible resistance compared to other components in the circuit. Additionally, the law may not hold true for complex circuits with multiple loops or non-linear components.