Kirchoff's voltage law applied to this circuit with three loops

In summary, the student is having trouble with the KVL equations and is looking for help. The equations state how to solve for potentials in a circuit, but he is not sure if he is doing it correctly. He needs to solve the circuit equations to find potentials across each component.
Doomkey
Homework Statement
Determine the loop currents i1 to i4 in the electrical network shown
Relevant Equations
I in = I out V = IR
I'm stuck straight out of the gate any help is really appreciated

Attachments

• Kirchoff.png
    Kirchoff.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 141
Physics news on Phys.org
Doomkey said:
Homework Statement:: Determine the loop currents i1 to i4 in the electrical network shown
Relevant Equations:: I in = I out V = IR

I'm stuck straight out of the gate any help is really appreciated
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

We are not allowed to help you until you show your best efforts to work the problem.

Start by listing the KVL equations for each loop. They say how you would go about solving those simultaneous equations...

Likes Doomkey
Oh sorry I'm quite new so didn't know the rules, thank you for replying

70i1-50i2-30i3=240v for the i1 loop
100i2-50i1-25i4-10i3=240v for the i2 loop
65i3-10i2-30i1-20i4=240v for the i3 loop
50i4-25i2-20i3=240v for the i4 loop

my problem is I'm not confident I'm making the simultaneous equations correctly, but if I am then I can simply fiddle around with them until I get a result for one of the loops then plug that back into the other equtions and work from there

I see a 240 V potential source in only one loop. You seem to have it in all the loop equations.

Check the resistor sum for i4 in your final equation.

edit: Also check the resistor sum for i1 in your first equations! What's 50 + 30?

Likes Doomkey
100i4-25i2-30i3 for the i4 loop, I was making the three resistors in series into one resistor but realized my mistake. I thought the PD for the whole circuit would be 240V and as they're all in parallel shouldn't they all have the same PD?

Doomkey said:
I thought the PD for the whole circuit would be 240V and as they're all in parallel shouldn't they all have the same PD?
Nope. The 120 V potentials are only at the top nodes of the diagram. After that there are resistors in the way, so potential drops due to current flows.

Likes Doomkey
How would I go about calculating how much potential is in each loop? sorry if I'm asking obvious questions but circuits are my weakest subject and having two nodes at the top not connected to each other is something I've never come across

You calculate potentials in a circuit by solving the circuit equations. Once you know the currents, you can calculate the potential across any component via the net current passing through it. Ohm's law!

1. What is Kirchoff's voltage law?

Kirchoff's voltage law, also known as Kirchoff's second law, states that the algebraic sum of all the voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the algebraic sum of all the voltage rises in that loop. This law is based on the principle of conservation of energy and is used to analyze circuits with multiple loops.

2. How is Kirchoff's voltage law applied to a circuit with three loops?

In a circuit with three loops, Kirchoff's voltage law is applied by considering each loop individually. The voltage drops and rises within each loop are calculated and then added together according to the law. This allows for the determination of the current and voltage in each branch of the circuit.

3. Why is Kirchoff's voltage law important in circuit analysis?

Kirchoff's voltage law is important in circuit analysis because it allows for the determination of unknown currents and voltages in a circuit with multiple loops. It also ensures that the law of conservation of energy is upheld in the circuit.

4. Can Kirchoff's voltage law be applied to circuits with more than three loops?

Yes, Kirchoff's voltage law can be applied to circuits with any number of loops. The law remains the same, and the same principles are used to analyze the circuit. However, as the number of loops increases, the calculations become more complex.

5. What are some common applications of Kirchoff's voltage law?

Kirchoff's voltage law is commonly used in various areas of electrical engineering, such as circuit design, power systems, and electronic devices. It is also used in the analysis of complex circuits, such as those found in computers, telecommunication systems, and automotive electronics.