Lagrange with Higher Derivatives (Ostrogradsky instability)

In summary, if a Lagrangian contains ##\ddot{q_i}##, the energy of the system will be unbounded from below and can take any lower values, making it unstable. However, there is still a conservation law that follows from the time shift invariance of these systems. The integral for energy, under the assumption that ##L## does not depend on t, includes a term that causes instability. This is seen in the famous Abraham-Lorentz-Dirac equation for a point particle in an external electromagnetic field. Despite this instability, energy conservation is still applicable.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
In class our teacher told us that, if a Lagrangian contain ##\ddot{q_i}## (i.e., ##L(q_i, \dot{q_i}, \ddot{q_i}, t)##) the energy will be unbounded from below and it can take any lower values (in other words be unstable). In this type of systems can we show that the energy is conserved ? Or in such system does energy conservation is applicable ?

Likes PhDeezNutz, vanhees71 and etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
there must be some conservation law which follows from the time shift invariance of such systems; I would try to derive it first.

If I did not make an error the "energy" integral is as follows
$$H(q,\dot q,\ddot q,\dddot q)=-L+2\frac{\partial L}{\partial \ddot q}\ddot q+\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q}\dot q-\frac{d}{dt}\Big(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \ddot q}\dot q\Big)$$
This is under the assumption that ##L## does not depend on t surely.

Instability arises due to the last term I guess. This term is linear in ##\dddot q##

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes dextercioby, Arman777, PhDeezNutz and 2 others
Indeed, the most famous example is the Abraham-Lorentz-Dirac equation for a point particle moving in an external electromagnetic field including the radiation reaction, i.e., the backreaction on the motion of the particle by its own (radiation) field. It leads to serious problems with causality and "run-away solutions".

• Informative
Likes dextercioby, wrobel, Arman777 and 1 other person
So the energy conservation is applicable.

1. What is Lagrange with Higher Derivatives?

Lagrange with Higher Derivatives, also known as Ostrogradsky instability, is a mathematical framework used to describe dynamical systems with multiple degrees of freedom. It is named after the Italian mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange and the Russian mathematician Mikhail Ostrogradsky.

2. How does Lagrange with Higher Derivatives work?

In Lagrange with Higher Derivatives, the equations of motion are described in terms of higher-order derivatives of the position and velocity variables. This allows for a more comprehensive and accurate representation of the system's behavior, particularly in cases where traditional methods like Newtonian mechanics may fail.

3. What are the advantages of using Lagrange with Higher Derivatives?

One of the main advantages of Lagrange with Higher Derivatives is its ability to accurately describe complex dynamical systems with multiple degrees of freedom. It also allows for the inclusion of non-conservative forces, making it useful in a wide range of applications, such as celestial mechanics, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics.

4. What is the Ostrogradsky instability?

The Ostrogradsky instability, named after Mikhail Ostrogradsky, refers to the potential instability that can arise in Lagrange with Higher Derivatives. This instability occurs when the equations of motion contain higher-order derivatives, leading to a breakdown of the usual conservation laws and potentially causing the system to become unstable.

5. How is the Ostrogradsky instability addressed?

To address the Ostrogradsky instability, various techniques have been developed, such as the Ostrogradsky-Hamilton formalism, which introduces additional variables to eliminate the higher-order derivatives. Other methods include introducing constraints or using modified equations of motion that do not contain higher-order derivatives.