How Do You Solve a Lagrangian Utility Maximization Problem?

• Thread starter Trizz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrangian
In summary: JcmVmdCBhIHN1bW1hcml6ZXJzIG9mIGNvbnRlbnRzLiBUaGF0IGl0J3MgcGx1cCwgdGhlbiBmb3IgYSBkZW1vbnN0aW1lIGV4YW1pbmF0ZXMgZm9yIHRoZSB1dGlsc2l0eSBtYXhpbXVtcGxhdGluZyB2YWx1ZXMgZm9yIHggYW5kIHkKIn summary, the equations for the utility maximizing values for x
Trizz

Homework Statement

Find the equations for the utility maximizing values for x and y

U(x,y) = x^2 + y^2

Homework Equations

Budget constraint: I = PxX +Pyy

L(x,y,\lambda ) x^2 + y^2 + \lambda (I - PxX - PyY)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the three partial derivatives and set equal to zero:

dL/dx = 2x - \lambda Px = 0
dL/dy = 2y - \lambda Py = 0
dL/d\lambda = I-PxX-PyY = 0

Then i set the first two equal to each other to try and find x in terms of y

2x = \lambda Px
2y \lambda Py

This results in x = PxY/PyBut here's the problem...

When I plug that into the last equation, i get stuck

I get:

I - PxX - Py(PyX/Px) = 0

I don't know how to proceed from here algebraically. Normally I'd be able to cancel on some of the simpler problems. But I can't cancel the Px out from the denominatorAny help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that ##p_x## and ##p_y## are just constants, so you have an equation of the form ##I - a x - b x = 0## where ##a = p_x## and ##b = p_y^2/p_x##. The simplest thing to do would be to multiply through by ##p_x##.

Trizz said:

Homework Statement

Find the equations for the utility maximizing values for x and y

U(x,y) = x^2 + y^2

Homework Equations

Budget constraint: I = PxX +Pyy

L(x,y,\lambda ) x^2 + y^2 + \lambda (I - PxX - PyY)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the three partial derivatives and set equal to zero:

dL/dx = 2x - \lambda Px = 0
dL/dy = 2y - \lambda Py = 0
dL/d\lambda = I-PxX-PyY = 0

Then i set the first two equal to each other to try and find x in terms of y

2x = \lambda Px
2y \lambda Py

This results in x = PxY/PyBut here's the problem...

When I plug that into the last equation, i get stuck

I get:

I - PxX - Py(PyX/Px) = 0

I don't know how to proceed from here algebraically. Normally I'd be able to cancel on some of the simpler problems. But I can't cancel the Px out from the denominatorAny help would be greatly appreciated!

The Lagrangian conditions give you x = (λ/2) a and y = (λ/2) b, where I use a and b in place of px and py. Using these in your constraint gives you everything you need.

That is essentially the way in which most Lagrange multiplier problems are solved, although on rare occasions it is easier to use another method.

RGV

Last edited:

What is the Lagrangian Econ Problem?

The Lagrangian Econ Problem is a mathematical optimization problem that is commonly used in economics to find the optimal solution to a given set of constraints. It involves maximizing or minimizing a certain objective function while taking into account various constraints on the variables involved.

How is the Lagrangian Econ Problem used in economics?

The Lagrangian Econ Problem is often used to model economic situations where there are limited resources or constraints on production. It can be used to determine the prices and production levels that will maximize a company's profits, or to assess the impact of government policies on economic outcomes.

What is the difference between the Lagrangian Econ Problem and the traditional optimization approach?

The traditional optimization approach involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function without considering any constraints. In contrast, the Lagrangian Econ Problem takes into account the constraints on the variables and finds the optimal solution that satisfies these constraints.

What are the benefits of using the Lagrangian Econ Problem in economic analysis?

The Lagrangian Econ Problem allows for a more realistic and comprehensive analysis of economic situations, as it takes into account the constraints that are often present in real-world scenarios. It also provides a systematic and rigorous approach to finding optimal solutions, which can help in making more informed economic decisions.

What are some limitations of the Lagrangian Econ Problem?

The Lagrangian Econ Problem can become computationally complex and time-consuming when the number of constraints and variables is large. It also relies on the assumption of convexity, which may not always hold in real-world economic situations. Additionally, the Lagrangian approach may not always provide a unique solution, making it difficult to interpret the results.