Laptop Decision Help for Physics Major: 256GB SSD, 8/16GB RAM, i5/i7 Cores

In summary, you should get a Macbook pro with a 13-inch retina display with a 256GB SSD and 8GB of RAM. The i5 processor should be fine.
Barely Flannel
So, I'm going to be a physics major next year. I'm in the process of looking for my first laptop. I've been doing a lot of research and I've pretty much settled on a 13" retina display Mac book pro. My question is what guts do I need to be getting in the computer? I'm looking at 256GB SSD (I have a 500GB external hard drive that I store most everything on right now) Do I need 16GB of RAM or would 8 be enough? What core would be best: the 2.6GHz i5, 2.8GHz i5, or the 3.0GHz i7?

I plan on using the laptop for word processing, light to moderate programming, and running any programs I need for school (data collection/manipulation, simulations).
The only game I ever play is Minecraft so gaming isn't a concern.

I'm also slightly worried about having a dual-core rather than a quad-core. Do you think this will have any impact or will I be safe with dual-cores?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Barely Flannel said:
I plan on using the laptop for word processing, light to moderate programming, and running any programs I need for school (data collection/manipulation, simulations).
Then get the lowest price options. It doesn't take much power to do these things. Perhaps you have some CPU intensive modeling or simulation programs though?

I know that I'll have to run a virtual windows program every so often and there will definitely be some heavier modeling/simulation programs that I'll need to be able to run, though I'm not sure how intesnive they will be. I assume at least moderately CPU intensive, I just don't know what core that would require, nor how much RAM I actually need to ensure I have a smooth experience while running more intense apps.

The iMac I currently share with my family has very little RAM and it's very slow to transition between applications. I'm waffling between 8 and 16GB becuase I absolutely loathe how long it takes simply to open/close Microsoft Word and want to ensure that I don't have anything close to this experience with my laptop.

Barely Flannel said:
I know that I'll have to run a virtual windows program every so often and there will definitely be some heavier modeling/simulation programs that I'll need to be able to run, though I'm not sure how intesnive they will be. I assume at least moderately CPU intensive, I just don't know what core that would require, nor how much RAM I actually need to ensure I have a smooth experience while running more intense apps.

The iMac I currently share with my family has very little RAM and it's very slow to transition between applications. I'm waffling between 8 and 16GB becuase I absolutely loathe how long it takes simply to open/close Microsoft Word and want to ensure that I don't have anything close to this experience with my laptop.

64-bits CPU right? Keep in mind that the operating system will only use more than 4GB of RAM if you have a 64-bits CPU and 64-bits operating system. I would in any way prioritize getting a better CPU than more RAM for now, because 8GB will be more than enough for what you want to do.

IMO 8 Gb RAM is enough. dual-core should be fine.

In my experience, you usually get the best bang for the buck with the 2nd-best specs for CPU. (Check it for the case of the Mac.)
I'd check benchmarks of the actual CPU models... not merely compare the number of cores. Generation, cache-size, etc... are also important features.

If you go too low in specs, you might find yourself feeling like you need to update to a newer model after a short time.
If you can afford the extra RAM, get it... more RAM is good.

Likes harborsparrow
Barely Flannel said:

An 8GB RAM dual core processor should be fine.
Choosing an i5 processor instead of an i7 processor saves you money.
It doesn't neccesarely mean this is a decrease of functionalities.
How much money do you want to spend on the computer?

Are you sure you want a Mac? Admittedly they are better, but when you need software, it might not be available for your Mac. And you will pay about half for the same specs if you go with a Windows system (admittedly, you will get windows).

Warning about Windows laptops, buy what you want upfront. Many laptops may have a 64 Bit CPU, but still max out RAM at 8 Gig. That should still be enough, but just letting you know.

I bought a refurbished Lenovo (from Lenovo) for a 40% savings over new. I am very happy with it. I got the same warranty, a new model (well, it was cutting edge six months earlier) and was a good price. I suspect nearly all major manufacturers have a way to resell warranty returns that simply had some small flaw that was easily fixed, but can't be resold as new.

Likes Silicon Waffle
CalcNerd said:
...I suspect nearly all major manufacturers have a way to resell warranty returns that simply had some small flaw that was easily fixed, but can't be resold as new.
Perhaps it was a very outdated model (you could save up to 40%) or it was really not simply just some flaws that could be easily fixed as you might be thinking. It still works but isn't guaranteed in any longer term. I am amazed at how guys in electronics could make good predictions on their product lifetime. And your suspect I suppose isn't irrational at all.

I'm not sure you really need to go with a Mac... that might be what everyone at your school uses; but, I've had both macs and pcs since '94 and I've hit a point in life where I'd rather spend half the money twice as often to get a better computer.

Edit: I use a MacBook Pro at work and a Lenovo at home. The MacBook pro was in the $2,000 range; the Lenovo was in the $1,000 range. I MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer working on the Lenovo.

Most of the time I end up using Bootcamp on the Mac at work anyway.

Likes Silicon Waffle
No, it was really a cutting edge machine only a few months earlier.

Specifically it was a Lenovo Yoga with an i7, 256 Gig SSD and 8 Gig RAM for just over $700. Even today, that would be a pretty good deal (at the time, a great deal). The newer machines would still have those specs, but have a newer CPU and possibly more RAM and a 2x larger SSD drive and the ability to add more RAM. Mine is Maxed out (I was surprised as I thought an i7 wouldn't have THAT constraint, and most don't), which is common for laptops due to using low power CPUs compared to desktop CPUs.

That is my one complaint with my particular model, it is a sealed unit for all practical purposes.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Some programs cannot run on IOS, therefor you have to run windows or linux.
Although if you prefer a mac, you may consider buying one.

Likes Silicon Waffle

1. What are the minimum specifications needed for a laptop for a physics major?

The minimum specifications for a laptop for a physics major would be a 256GB SSD, 8GB of RAM, and an i5 Core. These specifications will provide enough storage space, memory, and processing power to handle the software and data needed for physics courses.

2. Is it better to have 8GB or 16GB of RAM for a physics major?

It is recommended to have at least 8GB of RAM for a physics major, but if your budget allows, 16GB would be even better. This will allow for smoother multitasking and handling of larger data sets, which is common in physics research and projects.

3. Should I get an i5 or i7 Core for my laptop?

Both i5 and i7 Cores are suitable for a physics major, but if you plan on using your laptop for other demanding tasks such as gaming or video editing, an i7 Core would provide better performance. However, if you're on a budget, an i5 Core will still be sufficient for most physics-related tasks.

4. How much storage space do I need for a laptop as a physics major?

A 256GB SSD is recommended for a physics major. This will provide enough space for storing software, data, and other files needed for your courses. However, if you plan on storing large media files or running simulations, you may want to consider a larger SSD or an external hard drive.

5. Can I use a Macbook for my physics major?

Yes, you can use a Macbook for your physics major. However, some physics software and programs may not be compatible with MacOS, so you may need to use a virtual machine or dual-boot with a Windows operating system. It's also important to make sure the Macbook has at least the minimum recommended specifications for a physics major.