LC circuit (Differential Equation)

In summary: If OP doesn't return, I'll have to try to remember to remember to ask him/her in class tomorrow. At least one of the other students is likely to have the same question in mind.In summary, an inductor and capacitor connected in series to a power source have a voltage across them given by ## v(t)=Asin(\frac{2t}{\sqrt{LC}}) ## at time t. The voltage across the capacitor is 0 at time 0 and B at time ##\frac{\pi \sqrt{LC}}{2}##. To find the voltage u(t) across the capacitor, the integro-differential equation can be converted into a second-order ODE and solved for I(t) and VC
rakhil11

Homework Statement

An inductor with value L and a capacitor with value C are connected in series to a power source. At time t, the voltage of the power source (i.e. the voltage across both the inductor and capacitor) is given by ## v(t)=Asin(\frac{2t}{\sqrt{LC}}) ##. If the voltage across the capacitor at time 0 is 0 and at time ##\frac{\pi \sqrt{LC}}{2}## is B, what is the voltage u(t) across the capacitor?

Homework Equations

##I = \frac{dV}{dt}C##
##V = \frac{dI}{dt}L##

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I'm pretty stuck. I've tried plugging the expression for current from the capacitor into the inductor equation, and then ## v(t)=Asin(\frac{2t}{\sqrt{LC}}) = \frac{dI}{dt}L+\frac{1}{C} \int_{t_0}^{t} I dt##, but neither approach got me very far. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
rakhil11 said:
At time t, the voltage of the power source (i.e. the voltage across both the inductor and capacitor) is given by ## v(t)=Asin(\frac{2t}{\sqrt{LC}}) ##. If the voltage across the capacitor at time 0 is 0 and at time ##\frac{\pi \sqrt{LC}}{2}## is B ...
Hi rakhil11. :welcome:

From exercises similar to this that you have worked on in class, is it concerned with just steady state conditions, or is it including transient conditions, too? That is, are voltages and currents each a pure sinusoid, or is each a mixture of sinusoids?

Does the textbook give the answer?

rakhil11 said:

Homework Statement

An inductor with value L and a capacitor with value C are connected in series to a power source. At time t, the voltage of the power source (i.e. the voltage across both the inductor and capacitor) is given by ## v(t)=Asin(\frac{2t}{\sqrt{LC}}) ##. If the voltage across the capacitor at time 0 is 0 and at time ##\frac{\pi \sqrt{LC}}{2}## is B, what is the voltage u(t) across the capacitor?

Homework Equations

##I = \frac{dV}{dt}C##
##V = \frac{dI}{dt}L##

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I'm pretty stuck. I've tried plugging the expression for current from the capacitor into the inductor equation, and then ## v(t)=Asin(\frac{2t}{\sqrt{LC}}) = \frac{dI}{dt}L+\frac{1}{C} \int_{t_0}^{t} I dt##, but neither approach got me very far. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
@nascent: there are no transients in this circuit as it comprises a pure inductor and a pure capacitor. No matter when the voltage source was applied, at t = 0 or t → -∞, the current will always comprise two sinusoids, one at ω = 1/√(LC), the other at ω = 2/√(LC).

@rakhil11: you're almost OK with your last equation, but given the problem's initial condition, what is t0?
Hint: change your integro-differential equation into a second-order ODE and solve conventionally for I(t) and then VC(t). You will need your initial conditions on I and dI/dt of course.

The problem statement is somewhat misleading: VC = B cannot be assigned arbitrarily. When you solve the ODE the value of VC is determined uniquely by setting t = π√(LC)/2.

rude man said:
@nascent: there are no transients in this circuit as it comprises a pure inductor and a pure capacitor.
This being an engineering question, it's possible that the instructor intends the circuit's resistance be considered negligible (i.e., as good as zero) rather than precisely zero. I await clarification from OP.

1. What is an LC circuit?

An LC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. It is also known as a resonant circuit or tank circuit, and it is used to generate or amplify specific frequencies of electrical signals.

2. What is the differential equation of an LC circuit?

The differential equation of an LC circuit is given by d²Q/dt² + (1/LC)Q = 0, where Q is the charge on the capacitor, t is time, L is the inductance, and C is the capacitance. This equation describes the behavior of the circuit as the charge on the capacitor changes over time.

3. What is the natural frequency of an LC circuit?

The natural frequency of an LC circuit is the frequency at which the circuit will oscillate without any external input. It is calculated by the formula f = 1/(2π√LC), where f is the frequency, L is the inductance, and C is the capacitance.

4. What is the role of the differential equation in an LC circuit?

The differential equation is used to describe the behavior and dynamics of an LC circuit. By solving the differential equation, we can determine the charge on the capacitor, the current through the circuit, and the natural frequency of the circuit.

5. What are the practical applications of an LC circuit?

LC circuits have many practical applications, including radio and television broadcasting, wireless communication, electronic filters, and electronic tuning circuits. They are also used in electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and medical equipment.