Lead-Free Soldering: Is My 60W Iron Enough?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lead
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of using lead-free solder for building a radio. The speaker is struggling with the solder taking too long to melt and causing splatters. They mention using a 60 watt iron and ask if it is powerful enough. The other participants suggest using a thinner solder, as well as purchasing solder with a higher tin and lead ratio. They also discuss the availability of leaded solder in different countries and the potential issues with using lead-free solder. The conversation ends with a mention of Brexit potentially fixing the problem with unreliable solder joints and a reminder to be cautious of "tin whiskers" when using lead-free solder.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I am try to build a radio and find i just can not use the lead less solder, I have a 60 watt iron and the solder takes ages to melt and i get a lot of splatter, Is my iron powerful enough? I used to be very good with the lead solder.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why do you need leadless solder?

It is the only solder i can buy, the leaded solder is not stocked any more.

wolram said:
Oh. I didn't realize that. Bummer. I've still got a small batch of very old solder and use that on those very rare occasions when I need to solder wires together so haven't bought any in decades.

wolram said:
What country are you in, by the way?

Likes davenn
leaded solder is still readily available in a number of countries

wolram said:
I am try to build a radio and find i just can not use the lead less solder, I have a 60 watt iron and the solder takes ages to melt and i get a lot of splatter, Is my iron powerful enough? I used to be very good with the lead solder.

Yes, unleaded solder does require more heat but for general small component soldering 40 - 60W is generally still no problem
with what I have experienced

what sized solder joints are you trying to do ?

show a photo please

RoHS does not require lead free solder be used on industrial control systems or data networking equipment. You should only be using it on disposable consumer goods. I suspect that it may be the flux that comes with tin solder that is giving you problems.

I buy 60/40 tin/lead, rosin core solder from China. The 60/40 ratio is by weight so it is actually equal numbers of tin and lead atoms. It is a eutectic alloy so it all sets at the same minimum temperature. I avoid other ratios for electronic work.

Than you for your reply's , The work i am try to do has tiny pads and tracks, how can I remove the splatter?:

tech99 said:
What country are you in, by the way?

davenn said:
what sized solder joints are you trying to do ?
show a photo please

wolram said:
The work i am try to do has tiny pads and tracks,
Tiny, relative to what ? The heat you need is dependent on the mass of the solder joint and how fast you can work reliably.
What size pads or SM components do you really have? Please use SI units, mm rather than superlatives.

wolram said:
how can I remove the splatter?:
It depends on the PCB finish, is it solder mask, gold plated or bare copper? Is the splatter small spherical beads set in hard flux, or soldered to other bare metal surfaces?

What causes the splatter? Maybe you must use a cooler iron. How do you regulate temperature of the iron?

To remove splatter attached by flux; Identify what solvent will dissolve the flux and is also safe with your PCB and components. Identify the type of flux and then the solvent.

Baluncore said:
I buy 60/40 tin/lead, rosin core solder from China. The 60/40 ratio is by weight so it is actually equal numbers of tin and lead atoms. It is a eutectic alloy so it all sets at the same minimum temperature. I avoid other ratios for electronic work.

Actually 63/37 is the eutectic. I would suggest finding that unless the small cost difference comes to a significant expenditure.

Sn62Pb36Ag2 or Sn62.5Pb36Ag2.5 is even better. It melts at a slightly lower temperature and wets better. It tends to be expensive though. Also contraindicated on gold.

BoB

The pads are aprox 1/2 mm, The tracks are bare copper, and the splatter is spherical beads, I have 2 irons one 40W and one 60 watt, the 40 What one takes ages to melt non lead solder.
Thank you for all your reply's.

With lead solder, the very thin rosin-core soldering wire melts a lot easier. So with lead-free maybe you should still try the thinnest you can buy, if that's not what you are already using.

wolram said:
It'll be about the temperature, and not about the iron. If it's the classic 'Weller' kind of thing, then the temperature control is based on the soldering tip. You can/have to purchase tips for different solder types/temperatures accordingly.

I just won't use Pb free.
Bought myself a lifetime supply of Kester 44 60/40 while it was still cheap.. It's still available.

Likes davenn
I can only buy lead free solder in the shops in the UK but ebay has loads of lead solder. (I wish I knew that before I built the valve amp which used recycled parts that were originally soldered with lead - reflowing old joints with new solder is tricky).

I bought a cheap temperature controlled soldering station from Maplins which made life easier. Non lead solder needs a higher temperature - I wonder if that is your problem rather than power?

RoHS was an EU initiative. Brexit will fix the problem of unreliable solder joints.

I am on the other side of the planet, but it is still cheaper for me to buy from CPC in the UK, than from Farnell = Element14 in Australia. I manufacture in Australia then export to Europe via the UK. I do not pay VAT in the UK or GST in Australia.

CPC in the UK lists 60/40 solder.
http://cpc.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?pageSize=25&st=solder+60/40&catalogId=15002&categoryId=700000008637&langId=69&storeId=10180
As does Maplin; http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/multicore-wk618-6040-solder-12mm-diameter-05k-reel-r32yh

Likes dlgoff and davenn
Hey Wolram

I came across the same issue in the UK for soldering up bullet connectors and alike. I bought a full set of soldering irons, 15, 25, 40 and 80w from maplins. I still couldn't get the lead free stuff to produce a decent joint. I figured it must be my poor soldering.

I ended up buying some 60/40 rosin core solder from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00687U3L0/?tag=pfamazon01-20

This has done the trick for me and I solder all my connections with a 40W weller iron without issue. Some of the bullets on my RC helicopter take upwards of 100A and I have not had one go wrong yet. While you are working on a lot smaller stuff, I should imagine some 60/40 rosin core solder with a 25 to 40w iron would be ample.

Kr
Craig

does anyone have any current, 2019 data/results on Tin Whisker mitigation?
Regards,
Ray

rray said:
does anyone have any current, 2019 data/results on Tin Whisker mitigation?
Regards,
Ray
Welcome to the PF, Ray. :smile:

It's probably best for you to start a new thread with this new question, rather than tacking it onto the end of a dormant thread.

Just go to the top of the EE forum and start your own thread with this question. Be sure to post links to the reading you've been doing so far on this, to help us try to help you find the data you want.

BTW, are you asking about IPC standards or some other reliability-centered standard? Do you have the data from previous years for what you are looking for, and are just wondering if there have been new results?

I'll go ahead and lock this thread, so that you can start your own thread for the new discussion. If you have any questions for how to post at the PF, just send me a private message (PM) by clicking on my Avatar and starting a new conversation. Thanks.

1. What is lead-free soldering and why is it important?

Lead-free soldering refers to the use of solder material that does not contain lead. This is important because lead is a toxic substance that can be harmful to both human health and the environment. By using lead-free solder, we can reduce the impact of our soldering activities on the environment and protect ourselves from potential health risks.

2. How do I know if my soldering iron is powerful enough for lead-free soldering?

The power of a soldering iron is measured in watts, and for lead-free soldering, a 60W iron is typically considered the minimum requirement. This is because lead-free solder requires higher temperatures to melt compared to lead-based solder. If your iron is below 60W, it may not reach the necessary temperature for optimal lead-free soldering.

3. Can I use my 60W iron for lead-free soldering even if it doesn't have a temperature control?

While it is recommended to have a temperature-controlled iron for lead-free soldering, it is still possible to use a 60W iron without this feature. However, you will need to be extra careful and attentive to the temperature of your iron, as too much heat can damage components and too little heat will not provide a strong enough bond.

4. Are there any additional precautions I should take when using lead-free solder?

Yes, there are a few additional precautions to keep in mind when using lead-free solder. First, make sure to use proper ventilation to avoid inhaling any fumes. Lead-free solder also tends to have a shorter shelf life, so it is important to store it properly and use it before its expiration date. Finally, be sure to clean your soldering iron tip frequently to prevent any buildup and maintain optimal performance.

5. Are there any alternative methods for lead-free soldering besides using a soldering iron?

Yes, there are alternative methods for lead-free soldering such as using a hot air rework station or a soldering pot. These methods may require a higher initial investment but can be more efficient for larger projects. It is important to research and understand the proper techniques for whichever method you choose to use.