Watts to heat in soldering iron tip

In summary, the problem may be excessive voltage being applied to the iron, and the user may need to experiment to determine the rate of heat loss in order to adjust the input wattage.
IsVictor
Hello,
I have problem. I'm haveing my soldering iron tips oxidize very fast. I need to know what wattage to use to get melting point of solder. I think I'm overheating my tips. The melting point of the solder I have is 221C (430F). Is there a formula to calculate temperature from wattage input?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi IsVictor.
smiley_sign_welcome.gif

Rapidly oxidising tips do suggest voltage may be excessive. Does your iron's controller have a variable temperature setting?

Can you post a photo of the iron here, or give a link to a web site?

Some are designed to run very hot in order to get the job done quickly, the trade-off being an acknowledged shortened tip life.

The wattage tells you the rate of heat input. But it is difficult to know the rate of heat output. The temperature will depend on the balance.
The rate of heat loss will depend on the size, shape and materials of the iron, as well as the environment in which you are working.

You could experiment to determine the rate of heat loss, but how would that help, if you can't vary the input wattage? If the wattage of your iron is too high and you buy a lower wattage iron,, but it's rate of cooling could be different
If you can vary the input power, then simply adjust it to give the right temperature, or at least, a temperature which makes you happy.

The ideal iron, IMO, would have a very high wattage and be controlled by temperature feedback. But if you had an iron with this, you probably wouldn't be asking the question. I don't have such an iron, so I provide the feedback manually.

IMO there is not a single temperature that is right for everybody, for all irons, for all circumstances. The temperature you need is above the solder MP, such that the tip does not fall below the MP during the soldering operation. The power you need is that which will return the tip to this temperature between soldering operations. If the desired recovery time is short, you need higher power. For casual use, you can tolerate a longer recovery time and so lower power. If you use a high power then reduce your rate of soldering, the iron temperature will increase.

When I set up, I set a low power until I am ready to get soldering. Then put it up to high until it is hot enough - melting solder v.quickly while I'm washing the tip in solder - and then throttle back to a working setting, based on experience. That level depends on the materials you are soldering. 0.5mm wire to a 2mm pad needs a lower temperature (or smaller iron) than 16 gauge wire to 5mm tag. Three transistor wires are going to cool the iron less than a 28 pin dip holder. Since I normally solder only a few joints at a time, I lower the power between spells of activity, then raise it again when I'm ready to recommence.

The only way I can judge the correct temperature is by the immediacy of the solder melting, the flow of solder over the joint and the appearance of the finished joint. I have no idea what the number of degrees is.

As for the tip oxidising, my suspicion is that you may not be tinning the iron well. If the tip is well coated in solder, that should protect the iron, even if overheated for a long time. If you initially do tin the iron well, try ensuring that you give it a wipe and recoat it well before leaving it idle.

IsVictor said:
I'm haveing my soldering iron tips oxidize very fast.
What make and model soldering iron do you use ?
What tips do you use ?

1. How do I calculate the watts needed for my soldering iron tip?

The watts needed for a soldering iron tip can be calculated by dividing the heat capacity of the material being soldered by the desired heating time. This will give you the wattage needed to reach the desired temperature.

2. What is the ideal wattage for a soldering iron tip?

The ideal wattage for a soldering iron tip depends on the size and type of the soldering iron. Generally, for small soldering irons, a wattage between 20-40 watts is recommended, while for larger irons, a wattage between 60-80 watts is ideal.

3. Can using a higher wattage soldering iron damage my project?

Using a higher wattage soldering iron can potentially damage delicate components or cause overheating. It is important to use the appropriate wattage for your project to avoid any potential damage.

4. How does the wattage affect the temperature of a soldering iron tip?

The wattage of a soldering iron directly affects the temperature of the iron tip. The higher the wattage, the faster the iron tip will heat up and the higher the temperature it can reach. However, using too high of a wattage can also lead to overheating and potential damage to your project.

5. What is the difference between input and output wattage for a soldering iron tip?

The input wattage refers to the amount of power consumed by the soldering iron, while the output wattage refers to the amount of power that is actually used to heat the iron tip. The output wattage is typically lower than the input wattage due to energy loss through heat dissipation.