Leaky alkaline batteries - did I clean up enough?

In summary, the speaker found old batteries in their computer room/office with white corrosion, likely due to potassium hydroxide leakage. They cleaned it up by wiping the shelf and surrounding areas with vinegar and washing their hands. However, they are unsure if they need to worry about missed particles potentially damaging their electronics. Another person mentions that potassium carbonate is more likely, but any type of salt can be harmful to electronics.
Loosley
Hi everyone,

I was cleaning up my computer room/office today, and I found a plastic bag on a shelf with 4 AAAs inside that had white corrosion all over them. I did some Googling and I am guessing the leakage was likely potassium hydroxide. The batteries must have been about 10 years old. Here is what I did to clean it up:

- I wiped down the shelf that the bag with the batteries were on with white vinegar (to neutralize the KOH)
- then I wiped down the floor and also the carpet where I placed the bag while I was cleaning (since I noticed the bag had a few tiny holes in it) with vinegar
- I then washed my hands thoroughly

Is this sufficient? Do I need to worry about little particles of the dried up leakage that I may have missed? Would they get into my computer/other electronics and damage them?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If that was anything it was potassium carbonate. Potassium hydroxide just won't last in the atmosphere long. I wouldn't worry too much but only you can determine if you dusted your keyboard or computer with the stuff. Salts of any type, especially fairly caustic ones like potassium carbonate are generally counterindicated with electronics!

1. How do I know if I cleaned up the leaky alkaline battery enough?

The best way to determine if you have cleaned up the leaky alkaline battery enough is to check for any remaining battery residue or corrosion on the affected area. If there is still residue or corrosion present, continue cleaning until the area is completely clear.

2. What should I use to clean up a leaky alkaline battery?

You can use a mixture of water and baking soda, or white vinegar, to clean up a leaky alkaline battery. These household items are effective at neutralizing the acid from the battery and cleaning up any residue.

3. How do I dispose of a leaky alkaline battery?

Leaky alkaline batteries should be disposed of properly at a designated battery recycling center. You can also check with your local waste management department for instructions on how to dispose of these batteries in your area.

4. Is it safe to touch a leaky alkaline battery?

No, it is not safe to touch a leaky alkaline battery with your bare hands. The battery acid can cause irritation and burns on your skin. It is best to wear gloves and use proper cleaning materials when handling leaky alkaline batteries.

5. Can a leaky alkaline battery be harmful to the environment?

Yes, leaky alkaline batteries can be harmful to the environment if not disposed of properly. The battery acid and other chemicals can seep into the soil and water, causing pollution and potential harm to plants and animals. It is important to dispose of these batteries correctly to prevent environmental damage.