Learning from Mistakes: Ratio Test Problem Solving

In summary, the conversation is about a student reviewing for a test and working on practice problems for the ratio test from Pauls Online Notes. The given problem and its solution are discussed, and the student has a question about a specific step in the solution. Another person explains the decomposition of (n-1)! as (n-1)(n-2)! and the decomposition of (n-2)! as (n-2)(n-3)!. The student expresses gratitude for the explanation.
mmont012

Homework Statement

I'm reviewing for a test and working on the practice problems for the ratio test that Pauls Online Notes gives. So here is given problem:
eq0001MP.gif

Here is his solution for the problem:
eq0002MP.gif
2. The attempt at a solution
I worked this out before I looked at the solution and I got it wrong. I had it right up until the 4th step. Can someone explain this step to me? I don't understand why the (n-1)! is broken up into (n-1)(n-2)! Isn't this supposed to be the decomposition of (n-2)!? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm just trying to learn from my mistakes so that I won't do this again.

Thanks for stopping by!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure I understand your question; (n-1)! =(n-1)(n-2)...2.1= (n-1)[(n-2)(n-3)...2.1]= (n-1)(n-2)! is a decomposition of (n-1)!

Likes mmont012
Then what is the decomposition on (n-2)! ?

In this format, it is (n-2)(n-3)! . In general, (n-k)!= (n-k)(n-k-1)! if n>k, to avoid a -1!.

Likes mmont012
Thank you so much! This helps me out tremendously!

Glad it helped, mmont012.

1. What is the Ratio Test for problem solving?

The Ratio Test is a mathematical method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It involves taking the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms in a series and comparing it to a known value.

2. How does the Ratio Test help in learning from mistakes in problem solving?

The Ratio Test allows us to identify where we have made a mistake in our problem solving process. If the limit of the ratio is not equal to the known value, it means that an error has been made in the series. This helps us to pinpoint where the mistake occurred and correct it.

3. Can the Ratio Test be applied to any type of series?

Yes, the Ratio Test can be applied to any type of series, as long as the terms in the series are non-negative and the limit of the ratio exists.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the Ratio Test for problem solving?

One common mistake is using the Ratio Test on a series that is not in the correct form. The series must be in the form of a power series, with terms that have a common factor in the numerator or denominator. Another mistake is not checking the conditions for the Ratio Test, such as making sure the terms in the series are non-negative.

5. Are there any alternative methods to the Ratio Test for problem solving?

Yes, there are other convergence tests such as the Comparison Test, Limit Comparison Test, and the Root Test. Each method has its own conditions and applications, so it is important to understand and practice using all of them in order to become a proficient problem solver.