How to Start Learning Physics and Math from Scratch?

In summary: Physics for People in a Hurry" by Neil Gershenfeld 2. "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Dennis Gabor3. "Principles of Physics" by Richard P. Feynman 4. "The Physics Classroom: A Resource for Teachers" by Barbara W. McLaughlin
Neeleshatom
Summary:: Learning physics

I want to listen physics from scratch. Suggest books and online courses for me.I also want to learn from pre algebra to calculus.Help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @Neeleshatom , :welcome: !

Does scratch mean you have to learn reading and writing ? No. What does it mean ? Makes a difference.
Here at PF we value initiative:
Go find a book at the level that suits you and start doing the exercises.
We can't recommend anything if you don't tell us more about whawt you do know

BvU said:

Does scratch mean you have to learn reading and writing ? No. What does it mean ? Makes a difference.
Yes scratch means learning the language of physics.I am learning in 9 th grade.

BvU said:

Just what they teach for kids

That helps a bit. My compliments for this curiosity ! (I was like that long ago when there were only books).
And have you outgrown the sites you get when googling physics for kids ?

If so, google college physics books

Follow @PeroK's advice:
PeroK said:
You must have some starting point, especially for the maths. Do you know high-school maths?

Perhaps the first place to look is the Khan academy:

https://www.khanacademy.org/

Neeleshatom said:
Yes scratch means learning the language of physics.I am learning in 9 th grade.
Yes, there is a little disappointment built in here. It is the math.
PeroK said:
You must have some starting point, especially for the maths. Do you know high-school maths?

Perhaps the first place to look is the Khan academy:

https://www.khanacademy.org/
It will work to look up mathematical concepts, like e.g. a gradient. But only for a while. You won't miss both, physics and mathematics, if you jump back and forth. So before physics takes place, you will need a basis in mathematics, e.g. trigonometry, differential and integral calculus. However, from scratch also implies a lot of classical results: mechanics, optics, basic electrodynamics and some technical content from engineering. All those can be learned with basic mathematical skills - at least to some extent. What later reads as ##\vec{\nabla}\times \vec{E}=-\dfrac{\partial\vec{B}}{\partial t}## started as ##F=I\cdot s \cdot B\cdot \sin \alpha##. What reads as ##\dfrac{d}{dt}\dfrac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_i}}=0## started as ##\dfrac{\Delta p}{\Delta t} \stackrel{t \to 0}{\longrightarrow} F##. What lurks behind ##\ddot{x}+2\delta \dot{x} +\omega^2 x=0## is in the end simply a sine curve. And what becomes ##W=\int F\,ds## starts with ##W=F\cdot s##.

So you don't have to learn all the mathematics first, but at some time you will need to learn it. The easy formulas are only valid in special cases. Nevertheless, you can start with classical physics at high school level. But you cannot start at a certain mathematical or physical point to learn string theory. For that, you need a broad basis. To learn what friction is, you don't.

fresh_42 said:
Yes, there is a little disappointment built in here. It is the math.

It will work to look up mathematical concepts, like e.g. a gradient. But only for a while. You won't miss both, physics and mathematics, if you jump back and forth. So before physics takes place, you will need a basis in mathematics, e.g. trigonometry, differential and integral calculus. However, from scratch also implies a lot of classical results: mechanics, optics, basic electrodynamics and some technical content from engineering. All those can be learned with basic mathematical skills - at least to some extent. What later reads as ##\vec{\nabla}\times \vec{E}=-\dfrac{\partial\vec{B}}{\partial t}## started as ##F=I\cdot s \cdot B\cdot \sin \alpha##. What reads as ##\dfrac{d}{dt}\dfrac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_i}}=0## started as ##\dfrac{\Delta p}{\Delta t} \stackrel{t \to 0}{\longrightarrow} F##. What lurks behind ##\ddot{x}+2\delta \dot{x} +\omega^2 x=0## is in the end simply a sine curve. And what becomes ##W=\int F\,ds## starts with ##W=F\cdot s##.

So you don't have to learn all the mathematics first, but at some time you will need to learn it. The easy formulas are only valid in special cases. Nevertheless, you can start with classical physics at high school level. But you cannot start at a certain mathematical or physical point to learn string theory. For that, you need a broad basis. To learn what friction is, you don't.
Suggest some resources please like books

Neeleshatom said:
Suggest some resources please like books
Like someone earlier said, "just what they teach the kids", which may mean, depending on how education is structured in your vicinity, learn "college preparatory Mathematics", and follow the series of science courses available there starting in (your current) Ninth grade at your school.

The "scratch" way that you want might not be what you find, but you should understand that the level of detail in education for Mathematics and for Physics improves in the colleges and universities. Also books are great but books are not everything. You will want to observe demonstrations done by your teachers and professors (if you get so far), and you will need to do laboratory exercises.

Neeleshatom said:
I have just got intros in school
So have a look at the books on the RICE university site. You can download them as pdf and look into it! Just try and find out whether they are o.k. for you, too difficult or too easy. Whatever, it's for free.

Likes BvU
fresh_42 said:
So have a look at the books on the RICE university site. You can download them as pdf and look into it! Just try and find out whether they are o.k. for you, too difficult or too easy. Whatever, it's for free.
I have finished kinematics in openstax physics

Likes fresh_42

1. What is the best way to start learning physics from scratch?

The best way to start learning physics from scratch is to have a strong foundation in mathematics. Physics is based on mathematical principles and equations, so having a solid understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus will greatly benefit your understanding of physics concepts.

2. Do I need any prior knowledge before learning physics?

No, you do not need any prior knowledge before learning physics. However, as mentioned before, having a strong foundation in mathematics will make the learning process easier.

3. How can I make learning physics more engaging and interesting?

There are several ways to make learning physics more engaging and interesting. One way is to relate the concepts to real-world examples and applications. You can also try using interactive simulations or conducting hands-on experiments to better understand the principles.

4. Is it necessary to have a physics background to understand advanced concepts?

Having a physics background can certainly make it easier to understand advanced concepts, but it is not necessary. With dedication and practice, anyone can grasp complex physics concepts and theories.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

The key to improving problem-solving skills in physics is practice. Start by solving simple problems and gradually move on to more complex ones. You can also try breaking down the problems into smaller, manageable parts and using different problem-solving strategies to find the solution.