Leibniz rule and Newton's bionomial theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the similarities between the binomial theorem and the Leibniz rule, specifically in their use of summation and the combination of operations on elements of a set. The speaker also mentions their interest in finding a general operation that encompasses both the binomial theorem and the Leibniz rule, and suggests researching the topic of operator algebras.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Remember the Newton's binomial theorem which says:
[itex]
(x+y)^n = \sum_{r=0}^n {n \choose r} x^{n-r} y^r
[/itex]

where [itex] {n \choose r}=\frac{n!}{r! (n-r)!} [/itex]
Now let's take a look at the Leibniz rule:
[itex]
\frac{d^n}{dz^n}(xy)=\sum_{r=0}^n {n \choose r} \frac{d^{n-r} x}{dz^{n-r}} \frac{d^r y}{dz^r}
[/itex]

I think the similarity is unignorable!

I've had some studies about abstract algebra and so am familiar with generalization of operations on elements of a set.so I think the similarity mentioned above,means that the operations of exponentiation and derivation are somehow similar to each other as e.g. the special kind of similarity between multiplication of matrices and doing symmetry operations in sequence.
But I don't know what's the basic idea.
I'll appreciate any idea.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by the basic idea? as in the basic idea of using binomial formula and the poduct rule?, I have actually asked a very similar question, believe it or not; and the answer I got was : The binomial formula and the product rule are the same(to an extent https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=670008) Hope that helped.

Thanks for the link,that was an interesting discussion.
And what I mean by basic idea is this:
Lets take the example of matrix multiplication and symmetry operation multiplication(i.e. doing them in sequence),the basic idea is that there may be a non-commutative associative operation on the elements of a set which we give the name multiplication and we can have different instances of it on different sets.I mean sth like this.
I should tell that although the discussion in your thread was interesting,it didn't achieve a result.There was only another proof of Newton's binomial theorem assuming Leibniz rule which just hinted more on their connection.
But I'm seeking a general operation(like the general definition of multiplication)for which the Newton's and Leibniz rules are special cases.

Shyan said:
But I'm seeking a general operation(like the general definition of multiplication)for which the Newton's and Leibniz rules are special cases.

I suggest you search on the topic of "operator algebras" or "algebras of operators". People have written books that develop the analogy between the operations of arithmetic and the operations of operators. ( I haven't studied operator algebras, but I have the impression that in spite of the nice analogies not much practical use is made of such systems. Perhaps people who write computer software like Mathematica do make use of such ideas.)

I can provide some insight into the relationship between the Leibniz rule and Newton's binomial theorem. Both of these concepts are fundamental in calculus and are used to solve complex mathematical problems. The Leibniz rule, also known as the generalized product rule, is used to find the derivative of a product of two functions. On the other hand, Newton's binomial theorem is used to expand a binomial expression raised to a power.

The similarity between the two lies in the use of summation notation and the coefficients {n \choose r} in both formulas. These coefficients represent the number of ways to choose r objects from a set of n objects, which is also known as the binomial coefficient. In Newton's binomial theorem, these coefficients are used to expand the binomial expression into a sum of terms. In the Leibniz rule, these coefficients are used to determine the contributions of each term in the product to the final derivative.

In terms of the basic idea, both of these concepts rely on the concept of combinations and permutations. In Newton's binomial theorem, we are looking at all possible ways of arranging n objects into groups of r. In the Leibniz rule, we are considering all possible ways of combining two functions to find the derivative of their product. This connection between combinations and derivatives can be further explored through the concept of combinatorial calculus.

Overall, the Leibniz rule and Newton's binomial theorem are powerful tools in mathematics and their similarity lies in their use of combinations and permutations to solve complex problems. By understanding this connection, we can gain a deeper understanding of these concepts and their applications in various fields of science and mathematics.

1. What is the Leibniz rule?

The Leibniz rule, also known as the generalized product rule, is a mathematical formula used to find the derivative of a product of two functions. It states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function multiplied by the derivative of the second function, plus the second function multiplied by the derivative of the first function.

2. What is Newton's binomial theorem?

Newton's binomial theorem is a mathematical formula used to expand the powers of a binomial expression. It states that for any real number x and any positive integer n, the expression (x + a)n can be expanded as a sum of terms in the form of kn (x)n-k ak, where k ranges from 0 to n.

3. How are the Leibniz rule and Newton's binomial theorem related?

The Leibniz rule is often used to prove the binomial theorem. By taking the derivative of both sides of the binomial theorem, one can show that the expansion of (x + a)n satisfies the Leibniz rule. Therefore, the binomial theorem can be derived from the Leibniz rule.

4. What are the applications of the Leibniz rule and Newton's binomial theorem?

The Leibniz rule and Newton's binomial theorem have numerous applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to solve problems in calculus, probability, and statistics, as well as in fields such as aerodynamics and electrical engineering. They are also used in the study of series and sequences, and in the development of mathematical models.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the Leibniz rule and Newton's binomial theorem?

While the Leibniz rule and Newton's binomial theorem are powerful mathematical tools, they have certain limitations. The Leibniz rule can only be applied to the product of two functions, and it may not be valid for more than two functions. Similarly, the binomial theorem is only applicable to binomial expressions and may not hold for other types of polynomials. Additionally, both theorems may not hold for complex numbers or infinite series.