Length is the measure of intervals in space?

In summary: It's worth remembering that science attempts to describe the real world (in enough detail that we can then make predictions about it). This means that, at a fundamental level, the objects we manipulate in our theories don't really have definitions in terms of words. We just have to appeal to our common experience of the real world.In summary, @sahilmm15's brain thinks that it needs to perfectly understand what's written before proceeding to more advanced concepts. However, this is not necessary and is actually a hindrance to understanding.
sahilmm15
What does 'intervals' mean here?

Physics news on Phys.org
In an inertial frame the interval, ##s##, is given by ##ds^2=-c^2 dt^2+dx^2+dy^2+dz^2##

What's the context for this? @Dale is assuming (reasonably) that you are asking about special relativity. Is that correct? If not, can you provide a longer quote from where you found your title question?

Likes Dale
Ibix said:
What's the context for this? @Dale is assuming (reasonably) that you are asking about special relativity. Is that correct? If not, can you provide a longer quote from where you found your title question?
I was studying units and dimensions and it defined length as I stated.

Hmm, I think that we need an exact quote or specific reference. You can ignore what I said since it doesn’t seem to be relevant to your actual question. But you need to clarify considerably.

Likes sahilmm15 and Ibix
sahilmm15 said:
I was studying units and dimensions and it defined length as I stated.
I suspect all it's saying is that "length is what we call the difference in position of two points". Contrast, for example, duration which is what we call the difference in time (or "interval") between two events.

I have to say I find this kind of definition to be fairly useless - it's just swapping one set of words for another. One great quote from Einstein is that "time is what clocks measure". He's saying that he neither knows nor cares what time is - just that his experience is that devices we call clocks measure it, and that's enough for science to work with. Similarly, length is what a ruler measures.

If that doesn't make sense, you'll have to follow Dale's advice and give us a longer quote and/or a reference we can look at.

Likes jbriggs444, sahilmm15 and Dale
Dale said:
Hmm, I think that we need an exact quote or specific reference. You can ignore what I said since it doesn’t seem to be relevant to your actual question. But you need to clarify considerably.

Attachments

• IMG_20201224_212802.jpg
    IMG_20201224_212802.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 79
Likes Dale
Yes, having read the reference I agree with @Ibix. They could have said “length is a measure of distance” or something similar. They are not trying to make a deep statement, they are just saying “length is length” in other words.

Likes sahilmm15
Ibix said:
time is - just that his experience is that devices we call clocks measure it, and that's enough for science to work with. Similarly, length is what a ruler measures.

If that doesn't make sense, you'll have to follow Dale's advice and give us a longer quote and/or a reference we can look at.
Dear mentors, I need help in this particular matter. My brain is so dumb it thinks it needs to understand everything. Why can't you understand it simply, why do you want to get into complexities. It thinks that it needs to perfectly understand what's written before going somewhere advanced. It strives for 'Perfection'. It is ruining me. It tells "Hey go and understand that first". But the reality is, What you wrote 'length is what ruler measures'. It says no these definitions don't work, think like "scientists". I try to convince my brain that as you gain more problem solving ability, more experience than these words would make appropriate sense. But it doesn't understand. It doesn't allow me to proceed further by taking something simply. Please help me!

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
Dale said:
Yes, having read the reference I agree with @Ibix. They could have said “length is a measure of distance” or something similar. They are not trying to make a deep statement, they are just saying “length is length” in other words.
Check this. It is much simpler.

Attachments

• IMG20201224214345.jpg
    IMG20201224214345.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 87
sahilmm15 said:
What you wrote 'length is what ruler measures'. It says no these definitions don't work, think like "scientists".
Sorry @sahilmm15’s brain, it works perfectly. In fact, this sort of definition is scientifically the best approach and should be used whenever possible. Operational definitions ground the rest of your definitions in experiments and make sure that you are doing experimental science and not just math.

Likes vanhees71, Vanadium 50 and sahilmm15
sahilmm15 said:
My brain is so dumb it thinks it needs to understand everything. Why can't you understand it simply, why do you want to get into complexities. It thinks that it needs to perfectly understand what's written before going somewhere advanced
It's worth remembering that science attempts to describe the real world (in enough detail that we can then make predictions about it). This means that, at a fundamental level, the objects we manipulate in our theories don't really have definitions in terms of words. We just have to appeal to our common experience of the real world.

We have the idea that some things are close together and some things are far apart. How do you teach a child what "far apart" means? You show them pictures of things far apart and say "these things are far apart". There's no form of words you can use to describe it. We just all have the experience of it being a long way to the shops, but the park is close by (or whatever), and thus we have an experience of distance.

Length is simply a quantitative version of that. Instead of "far" we say that we can lay 1,000 standard-length objects (and we'll call our standard length object a 1m rule) between here and there. But I can no more explain to you what length is than I can explain what blue looks like to a blind man.

Likes vanhees71 and sahilmm15

1. What is length?

Length is a physical quantity that measures the distance between two points in space. It is typically measured in units such as meters, feet, or inches.

2. How is length different from distance?

Length and distance are often used interchangeably, but they have slightly different meanings. Distance refers to the actual physical distance between two points, while length is a measurement of that distance.

3. How is length measured?

Length is measured using a ruler, tape measure, or other measuring tool. It is important to use a standardized unit of measurement to ensure accuracy and consistency.

4. What is the importance of length in science?

Length is a fundamental concept in science and is used in many different fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology. It allows scientists to make precise measurements and calculations, which are essential for understanding the natural world.

5. Can length be measured in different dimensions?

Yes, length can be measured in one, two, or three dimensions. In one dimension, length is measured along a straight line. In two dimensions, it is measured along a surface. In three dimensions, it is measured in space.