Variant and Invariant Physical Quantities....

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of invariant and variant quantities in physics, specifically in non-relativistic and relativistic mechanics. It is stated that in non-relativistic physics, time, velocity, momentum, position, energy, kinetic energy, temperature, pressure, and other quantities are variant and depend on the chosen frame of reference. On the other hand, mass, time intervals, distances or displacements, and potential energy are considered invariant. In relativistic mechanics, even these invariant quantities vary due to the dependence of time and space intervals on the selected reference frame. The conversation also touches on the concept of a frame of reference and how different frames can affect the numerical values of various physical quantities. It is mentioned that in an inert
fog37
TL;DR Summary
Variant and Invariant quantities
Hello,

In non-relativistic physics (where things move slower than the speed of light), the following physical quantities are invariant and variant (or relative) i.e. vary in value depending on the chosen frame of reference:

Variant quantities: time ##t##, velocity ##v##, momentum ##p##, position ##r(x,y,z)##, energy ##E##, kinetic energy ##KE##, temperature ##T##, pressure ##P##, etc.

Invariant quantities: mass ##m##, time intervals ##\Delta T##, distances or displacements ##\Delta r##, potential energy ##U## since it depends on ##\Delta r##...

In relativistic mechanics, the listed invariant quantities also vary because time and space intervals are also depend on the selected reference frame. Is that correct?

Are there any other important variant or invariant quantity that should be included?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
fog37 said:
Variant quantities: ...temperature T, pressure P, etc.

I would have said, that any scalar field like temperature or pressure is by definition frame invariant, since those fields must satisfy ##\phi(x) = \phi'(x')##. Relabelling the space does not change the temperature anywhere, for instance!

Likes sysprog
@fog37 If I order a pizza in Chicago and the pizzeria says I'll get it in one hour, and then I fly to Paris, and the delivery guy takes the next flight, and I get the pizza an hour after my flight lands, then that guy's getting a $2.5k tip ##-## maybe that's a weak attempt at humor (it is an attempt at humor), but I don't get what you mean by "vary in value depending on the chosen frame of reference" ##-## it seems to me that no they don't ##-## as @etotheipi gently pointed out (using a different way of saying it), an hour is still an hour no matter which 'time zone' you're in.

sysprog said:
but I don't get what you mean by "vary in value depending on the chosen frame of reference" − it seems to me that no they don't

Various quantities certainly do change depending on your frame of reference! The position vector of a particle depends on the origin of your frame, the velocity of that particle is frame-dependent, the time coordinate of an event varies under temporal translations, and likewise kinetic energy, total energy, and many other quantities differ between frames!

I was only objecting to pressure and temperature, because these are examples of scalar fields which are (by definition) frame invariant.
sysprog said:
an hour is still an hour no matter which 'time zone' you're in.
In Galilean spacetime time intervals are indeed invariant. But the absolute time assigned to an event, is only determined up to an additive constant, so is coordinate dependent.

etotheipi said:
Various quantities certainly do change depending on your frame of reference! The position vector of a particle depends on the origin of your frame, the velocity of that particle is frame-dependent, the time coordinate of an event transforms via time-translations, and likewise kinetic energy, total energy, and many other quantities differ between frames!

I was only objecting to pressure and temperature, because these are examples of scalar fields which are (by definition) frame invariant.
The OP said "non-relativistic" ##-## is an hour longer or shorter in Chicago or London than in Paris? ##-## I understand that for the photons that are presenting the clock time, the time doesn't change, but for the clock it does, at certifiably the same rate, regardless of which town we observe it in.

Please re-read the end of my post #4. I do not want to involve myself in an argument about something as self-explanatory as this; it's got nothing to do with special relativity or photons or Chicago or whatever.

etotheipi said:
Please re-read the end of my post #4. I do not want to involve myself in an argument about something as self-explanatory as this; it's got nothing to do with special relativity or photons or Chicago or whatever.
ok, but you added to that post after I read it ##-## I think that I was making a very limited non-SR claim ##\dots##

etotheipi said:
In Galilean spacetime time intervals are indeed invariant. But the absolute time assigned to an event, is only determined up to an additive constant, so is coordinate dependent.
Isn’t this confusing the map and the territory? You could define an absolute time T(t) which satisfies T’(t’)=T(t). While there is not a unique choice of T, any such choice of T is frame invariant.

Likes etotheipi
There is another important quantity, which is invariant in SR : the 4-interval between two events :
$$ (c\Delta t)^{2} - \Delta x^{2} = (c\Delta t')^{2} - \Delta x'^{2} = ...$$ (similar for other I.O. )
I’m considering a boost in the x direction only.

Given a particle of invariant mass ##m## , the magnitude of its 4-impulse :
$$ P = (\gamma m c, \gamma m v) $$
is ##mc## , which is an invariant too, doesn’t depend on the inertial frame where it is observed.

Likes fog37
suremarc said:
Isn’t this confusing the map and the territory? You could define an absolute time T(t) which satisfies T’(t’)=T(t). While there is not a unique choice of T, any such choice of T is frame invariant.

Hmm, I think maybe you are right and I was wrong, but isn't that an unnecessary layer of abstraction? I was just referring to the fact that time-translations are a parameter of the Galilean transformation.

The coordinates of some event ##\mathcal{P}## with respect to a basis of Galilean spacetime are indeed themselves scalars, but I think it seems obvious to say that this tuple of numbers ##[\mathbf{x}_{\mathcal{P}}]_{\mathcal{F}} = (x,y,z,t)## describing an event is dependent on the choice of the origin and basis, so are 'frame dependent'.

Thanks for the comments.

The way I see it is that a reference frame ##F_1## has an origin ##O## and possibly moves (either at constant speed or in accelerated motion) relative to another reference frame ##F_2##.

Nonrelativistically, for example, the position ##r(t)##, speed ##v(t)##, momentum ##p(t)##, acceleration ##a(t)## of a particle will have different numerical values at each different time instant ##t## in the two different reference frames. Time intervals ##\Delta t= t_2-t_1## and position differences ##\Delta r= r_2-r_1## are instead the same in both frames.

If the frames are inertial, then the acceleration ##a(t)## will be the same in both frames...

Kinetic energy ##KE## and its variations ##\Delta KE## both vary when calculated from different reference frames (inertial or noninertial).

This is the type of variance/invariance I am referring to. I assume we use the same coordinate system (ex. Cartesian) in the different reference frames.

1. What is the difference between variant and invariant physical quantities?

Variant physical quantities are those that change with the conditions or frame of reference, while invariant physical quantities remain constant regardless of the conditions or frame of reference.

2. Can you give examples of variant physical quantities?

Examples of variant physical quantities include velocity, acceleration, and force, as they can change depending on the frame of reference or external forces acting on them.

3. What are some examples of invariant physical quantities?

Invariant physical quantities include mass, charge, and energy, as they remain constant regardless of the conditions or frame of reference.

4. How are variant and invariant physical quantities used in scientific research?

Variant and invariant physical quantities are used to describe and measure various phenomena in the natural world. They are essential in developing theories and laws that explain the behavior of physical systems.

5. How can understanding variant and invariant physical quantities benefit society?

Understanding variant and invariant physical quantities allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations, leading to advancements in technology and improvements in everyday life. It also helps us better understand the natural world and our place in it.