Lie Bracket for Group Elements of SU(3)

In summary, the problem is to determine the Lie bracket for 2 elements of the special unitary group SU(3). The Lie bracket is an operation on the Lie algebra, which can be found by composing two rotation operators and calculating the commutator for small rotations. However, this approach may not be the correct way to solve the problem, as the mathematics takes place in the tangent space rather than on the manifold itself.
nigelscott

Homework Statement

Determine the Lie bracket for 2 elements of SU(3).

Homework Equations

[X,Y] = JXY - JYX where J are the Jacobean matrices

The Attempt at a Solution

I exponentiated λ1 and λ2 to get X and Y which are 3 x 3 matrices.. If the group elements are interpreted as vector fields then I ought to be able to apply the above equation to get Z (i..e. exp(iθλ3). The problem is I don't know how to formulate the Jacobean matrices. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
nigelscott said:
Determine the Lie bracket for 2 elements of SU(3).
SU(3) or su(3) (its Lie algebra)? The Lie bracket is an operation on the Lie algebra. Given general form of a rotation operator you should be able to find its composition with another and from there the commutator for small rotations.

I think I may be confusing myself. I think what you are saying is that although the commutator of 2 vector fields results in a third vector field on the manifold, that field at a given point is, by definition, assigned to a tangent space (as are the original fields). In this sense trying to figure out the commutator in terms of vectors fields on the manifold is not really the correct way to look at things or is a valid thing to do. All of the mathematics takes place in the tangent space. Am I getting close? I am new to this subject. Thanks.

1. What is the Lie bracket for group elements of SU(3)?

The Lie bracket for group elements of SU(3) is a mathematical operation that measures the commutator of two elements in the group. It is denoted by [A, B] and is defined as the difference between the product of A and B and the product of B and A.

2. How is the Lie bracket calculated for SU(3) group elements?

The Lie bracket for SU(3) group elements can be calculated using the structure constants of the group. These constants are given by the commutator of the group's generators and can be used to calculate the commutator of any two group elements.

3. What is the significance of the Lie bracket in SU(3) group theory?

The Lie bracket is a fundamental concept in group theory and plays a crucial role in understanding the structure and behavior of SU(3) groups. It provides a way to quantify the non-commutativity of group elements and is used in various calculations and proofs within the theory.

4. Can the Lie bracket be extended to other Lie groups?

Yes, the concept of the Lie bracket can be extended to other Lie groups beyond SU(3). It is a fundamental operation in the theory of Lie algebras and is used to define the structure of these groups.

5. How is the Lie bracket related to the Lie algebra of SU(3)?

The Lie bracket is closely related to the Lie algebra of SU(3) as it is used to define the structure of the algebra. The commutator of two elements in the Lie algebra is equal to the Lie bracket of the corresponding group elements. This relationship is crucial in understanding the properties of the Lie algebra and its representations.