Lie group global properties

In summary, we discussed the determination of global properties for a Lie group when the underlying manifold is not immediately obvious. We also defined a Lie group as a differentiable manifold that is also a group with differentiable group operations. The number of independent real parameters is the dimension of the Lie group and it can be connected, simply connected, and compact. The determination of the parameter space of a Lie group can be done algorithmically, as seen in the example of SU(2). The topology and manifold structure must be explicitly defined for a group to be considered a Lie group. Techniques such as representation theory, algebraic topology, differential geometry, and cohomology theory can be used to determine these properties.
Jason Bennett
Homework Statement
Determining the manifold picture of a lie group to see its global properties
Relevant Equations
see below
1) How do we determine a Lie group's global properties when the manifold that it represents is not immediately obvious?

Allow me to give the definitions I am working with.

A Lie group G is a differentiable manifold G which is also a group, such that the group multiplication
and the map sending g ∈ G to its inverse g−1 ∈ G, are differentiable (C∞) maps.

As a Lie group is a manifold, one can parametrize the elements g in a small neighbor- hood of the identity e of G, by n real parameters {x1, . . . , xn}. This is simply written as g = g(x1, . . . , xn) and the parametrization is usually chosen in such a way that e = g(0, . . . , 0). The number of independent real parameters (n) is called the dimension of the Lie group.

A Lie group G is connected iff [tex]\forall g_1, g_2 \in G[/tex] there exists a continuous curve connecting the two, i.e. there exists only one connected component.

A Lie group G is simply connected (if all closed curves on the manifold picture of G) can be contracted to a point.

A Lie group is compact if there are no elements infinitely far away fro the others.

The Lie group U(1) is quite easily identified as a circle in its manifold picture. This is connected, not simply connected, and compact.

However, SO(3) can (apparently) be viewed as manifold as such: a filled sphere of fixed radius, with antipodes identified. Once that has been realized, determining the global properties are straight forward. Getting there is another question, and I believe related to answering...

2) How do we algorithmically determine the parameter space of a Lie group – thus seeing it as a manifold?

For instance, for SU(2), we can write the matrix elements as complex, or decomposed with reals + i(reals), and use the det = 1 condition to determine that the Lie group is 3-deimensional. The step from 3-dimensional to a 3-sphere is not clear to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you're told,e.g., SO(3) is a Lie group, you are not explicitly told the topology or manifold structure.

WWGD said:
Well, if you're told,e.g., SO(3) is a Lie group, you are not explicitly told the topology or manifold structure.
Sure I am. ##SO(3)## defines the manifold, the set of points, and the requirement of analytic group operations the differential and therewith topological structure.

fresh_42 said:
Sure I am. ##SO(3)## defines the manifold, the set of points, and the requirement of analytic group operations the differential and therewith topological structure.
It may be given , e.g., in terms of one of many representations. How do you then recover it all. Or just described in words as a collection of rotations.

As soon as you call something a Lie group, as soon do you have to define space and structure. Otherwise it is not a Lie group, so it is what? The question is completely underdetermined. It is as if you asked: "How can I see a ring is an integral domain if I haven't given the ring?" That's nonsense: Let's talk about *** but I will not define ***.

Edit: O.k., then the answer is representation theory, algebraic topology, differential geometry, and cohomology theory. Nothing more to add.

But I understood you said the topology was stated explicitly. But it is not always the case; you need to make it up, figure it out by yourself. At any rate, we may just have different assumptions on what we mean here on the object defined, or, as someone famous said, on "What is is".

Let's just leave it at Kartofel, Kartofeln ?

Double "f", and yes, we need answers from the OP. I find it even difficult to "see" whether a subgroup is closed or not.

fresh_42 said:
Double "f", and yes, we need answers from the OP. I find it even difficult to "see" whether a subgroup is closed or not.
Kartoffel/Kartofffel? Or Kartuffel/Kartoffel?

The French and Austrians call them Earth apples.

C'est derriere: Quest'ce q'on va fair avec les pommes de terre D'Anglaterre?

I am quite confused by your concern about the background topological space. Can you explain further? Please keep in mind I am very new to this area.

Jason Bennett said:
I am quite confused by your concern about the background topological space. Can you explain further? Please keep in mind I am very new to this area.
So, you are told "G is a Lie group" and asked to determine its manifold structure? Just want to make sure we have the question down correctly.

Jason Bennett said:
Homework Statement: Determining the manifold picture of a lie group to see its global properties
Homework Equations: see below

1) How do we determine a Lie group's global properties when the manifold that it represents is not immediately obvious?

Allow me to give the definitions I am working with.

A Lie group G is a differentiable manifold G which is also a group, such that the group multiplication
and the map sending g ∈ G to its inverse g−1 ∈ G, are differentiable (C∞) maps.

As a Lie group is a manifold, one can parametrize the elements g in a small neighbor- hood of the identity e of G, by n real parameters {x1, . . . , xn}. This is simply written as g = g(x1, . . . , xn) and the parametrization is usually chosen in such a way that e = g(0, . . . , 0). The number of independent real parameters (n) is called the dimension of the Lie group.

A Lie group G is connected iff [tex]\forall g_1, g_2 \in G[/tex] there exists a continuous curve connecting the two, i.e. there exists only one connected component.

A Lie group G is simply connected (if all closed curves on the manifold picture of G) can be contracted to a point.

A Lie group is compact if there are no elements infinitely far away fro the others.

The Lie group U(1) is quite easily identified as a circle in its manifold picture. This is connected, not simply connected, and compact.

However, SO(3) can (apparently) be viewed as manifold as such: a filled sphere of fixed radius, with antipodes identified. Once that has been realized, determining the global properties are straight forward. Getting there is another question, and I believe related to answering...

2) How do we algorithmically determine the parameter space of a Lie group – thus seeing it as a manifold?

For instance, for SU(2), we can write the matrix elements as complex, or decomposed with reals + i(reals), and use the det = 1 condition to determine that the Lie group is 3-deimensional. The step from 3-dimensional to a 3-sphere is not clear to me.
WWGD said:
So, you are told "G is a Lie group" and asked to determine its manifold structure? Just want to make sure we have the question down correctly.

Precisely!

1. What is a Lie group?

A Lie group is a type of mathematical object that combines the properties of a group (a set with a binary operation that follows certain rules) and a smooth manifold (a space that looks locally like Euclidean space). It is named after the mathematician Sophus Lie who first studied them in the late 19th century.

2. What are some examples of Lie groups?

Some examples of Lie groups include the general linear group (the group of invertible matrices), the special orthogonal group (the group of rotations), and the special unitary group (the group of unitary matrices with determinant 1). Other examples include the groups of symmetries of geometric objects, such as the group of rotations and translations of a sphere.

3. What are the global properties of a Lie group?

The global properties of a Lie group refer to its properties as a whole, rather than at individual points. Some key global properties include connectedness (meaning all points can be connected by a continuous path), compactness (meaning the group is finite or bounded), and simple or semisimple structure (meaning the group cannot be decomposed into simpler subgroups). These global properties have important implications for the group's structure and behavior.

4. How are Lie groups used in physics?

Lie groups play a crucial role in modern physics, particularly in the study of symmetries and symmetry breaking. In physics, symmetries are often described by Lie groups, and the laws of physics are often invariant under transformations by these symmetries. Lie groups also form the basis for the mathematical framework of gauge theories, which are essential in many areas of modern physics, such as particle physics and general relativity.

5. What are some open problems in the study of Lie groups?

Despite being extensively studied for over a century, there are still many open problems in the study of Lie groups. These include questions about their classification, representation theory, and geometric properties. Some specific open problems include the classification of simple Lie groups in dimensions higher than 8, the existence of exceptional Lie groups in certain dimensions, and the relationship between Lie groups and other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and mathematical physics.