Lim f(0,y). y->0. L'H rule needed, did i do it right?

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
In summary, you seem to have done the work correctly but you want to make sure. The limit as y -> 0 is lim y->0 f(0,y).
mr_coffee
Hello everyone. I think i did this right but i want to make sure. Let f(x,y) = (x^2+sin^2(y))/(2x^2+y^2); I want to find the limit as y ->0;
Find lim y->0 f(0,y).
Here is my work:
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/194/lastscan4zi.jpg

Also the 2nd part to this problem is the following, and here is my work:
http://show.imagehosting.us/show/790806/0/nouser_790/T0_-1_790806.jpg
Do you think that is correct? thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have misunderstood L'Hospitals rule.

L'Hospitals rule states that [itex]\lim \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \lim \frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}[/itex] if [itex]\lim f(x)[/itex] and [itex]\lim g(x)[/itex] are both zero or ±[itex]\infty[/itex]. L'Hospitals rule isn't necessary. Just use the standard limit for [itex]\frac{sin(x)}{x}[/itex]

I havn't had calc I in awhile, my professor said L'Hopsitals rule is needed...hm...
so the sin^2(y)/y^2 is just really 1 then?

For the first one you differentiated incorrectly... use the chain rule or product rule for the numerator.. (Whatever you feel more comfortable with)
The answer is indeed 1, yes.
No clue about the second one... I'm no epsilon-delta guy. :D

You could use L'Hopital's rule but you don't need to.
[tex]f(0,y)= \frac{sin^2(y)}{y^2}= \frac{sin(y)}{y}\frac{sin(y)}{y}[/tex] and you should know the limit of those!
As for your second question, your answer to part (c) simply asserts what you want to show with no proof. I take it that there was a part (a) that asked you to show that [tex]lim_{x->0}f(x,0)= \frac{1}{2}[/tex]. Can you show that given some [tex]\epsilon[/tex]> 0 and any [tex]\delta[/tex]> 0 there a point (x,0) closer to (0,0) [tex]\delta[/tex] such that f(x,0) is closer to 1/2 than [tex]\epsilon[/tex]- and another point (0,y) closer to (0,0) than [tex]\delta[/tex] such that f(0,y) is closer than 1 than [tex]\epsilon[/tex] and so there no single number that both are close to?

This is what i ended up getting...
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/6888/lastscan7rp.jpg
look any better?

1. What is the meaning of "Lim f(0,y) when y approaches 0"?

The notation "Lim f(0,y) when y approaches 0" is used to represent the limit of a function when the variable y approaches the value of 0. In other words, it is the value that the function approaches as y gets closer and closer to 0.

2. Why is the L'Hopital's rule needed for this limit?

The L'Hopital's rule is needed for this limit because it involves the expression of 0/0, which is undefined. This rule allows us to evaluate the limit by taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately and then finding the limit again.

3. How do I know if I have applied the L'Hopital's rule correctly?

To apply the L'Hopital's rule correctly, you need to make sure that the limit is in the form of 0/0 or ∞/∞. Then, you can take the derivative of the numerator and denominator and evaluate the limit again. If the new limit exists, then you have applied the rule correctly.

4. Can the L'Hopital's rule be applied to any limit?

No, the L'Hopital's rule can only be applied to limits that are in the form of 0/0 or ∞/∞. It cannot be used for limits in other forms such as 0/∞ or ∞-∞.

5. Are there any exceptions to the L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, there are some cases where the L'Hopital's rule may not work. For example, if the limit is of the form 0^0 or ∞^0, then the rule cannot be applied. Additionally, the rule may not work if the limit involves trigonometric functions such as sinx/x or tanx/x.