Limit of a rational function with a constant c

In summary: I will take note of that.In summary, the conversation involves a discussion on the relationship between ##x## and ##t## as they approach zero and one respectively. The formula given is ##\lim_{t \rightarrow 1} \frac{c(t-1)}{t^3-1}## and it is shown that as ##x\to 0##, ##t\to 1##. However, the reasoning stated in the conversation is incorrect as it involves an incorrect distribution of the cube root and an incorrect use of the notation ##\propto##.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this problem,
1676430951483.png

Did they get ## x## approaches one is equivalent to ##t## approaches zero because ##t ∝ (x)^{1/3} + 1##?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
" Notice that x ##\rightarrow##0 is equivalent to t ##\rightarrow## 1 ", it says. The given formula becomes
[tex]\lim_{t \rightarrow 1} \frac{c(t-1)}{t^3-1}[/tex]

Likes ChiralSuperfields
anuttarasammyak said:
" Notice that x ##\rightarrow##0 is equivalent to t ##\rightarrow## 1 ", it says. The given formula becomes
[tex]\lim_{t \rightarrow 1} \frac{c(t-1)}{t^3-1}[/tex]
Thank you for your reply @anuttarasammyak !

Sorry, I have updated the question after I realized my mistake. Is my reasoning correct though?

Many thanks!

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}t=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \sqrt[3]{1+cx}=1[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{t\rightarrow 1}x=\lim_{t\rightarrow 1}\frac{t^3-1}{c}=0[/tex]

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Callumnc1 said:
Homework Statement:: Please see below
Relevant Equations:: Please see below

For this problem,
View attachment 322282
Did they get ## x## approaches one is equivalent to ##t## approaches zero because ##t ∝ (x)^{1/3} + 1##?

Many thanks!
I would say it's more like:

As ##x\to 0##, it's clear that ##\displaystyle \root 3 \of{1+cx \,} \to 1##, so ##t\to 1## .

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields
anuttarasammyak said:
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}t=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \sqrt[3]{1+cx}=1[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{t\rightarrow 1}x=\lim_{t\rightarrow 1}\frac{t^3-1}{c}=0[/tex]
Thank you for your reply @anuttarasammyak !

SammyS said:
I would say it's more like:

As ##x\to 0##, it's clear that ##\root 3 \of{1+cx \,} \to 1##, so ##t\to 1## .
Thank you @SammyS , I see now!

Callumnc1 said:
Is my reasoning correct though?
It looks like you're thinking ##\sqrt[3]{1+cx} = \sqrt[3]{1} + \sqrt[3]{cx}##. That's clearly wrong. You can't distribute the root across the addition.

Also, as far as notation goes, ##\propto## means "proportional to", so saying that ##t \propto 1 + x^{1/3}## means that ##t = k(1+x^{1/3})## for some constant ##k##, which you probably didn't mean.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and PeroK
vela said:
It looks like you're thinking ##\sqrt[3]{1+cx} = \sqrt[3]{1} + \sqrt[3]{cx}##. That's clearly wrong. You can't distribute the root across the addition.

Also, as far as notation goes, ##\propto## means "proportional to", so saying that ##t \propto 1 + x^{1/3}## means that ##t = k(1+x^{1/3})## for some constant ##k##, which you probably didn't mean.
Thank you for your reply @vela!

That is good you mentioned the notation, I didn't realize I could not do that!

What is a rational function with a constant c?

A rational function with a constant c is a mathematical expression that consists of a polynomial function divided by a nonzero constant. It can be written in the form f(x) = (ax + b) / c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is a variable.

What is the limit of a rational function with a constant c?

The limit of a rational function with a constant c is the value that the function approaches as the input variable approaches a certain value. It is denoted by the notation lim f(x) as x approaches a, and can be calculated by evaluating the function at that value or by using algebraic methods.

How do you find the limit of a rational function with a constant c?

To find the limit of a rational function with a constant c, you can use the following steps:

1. Substitute the value of the input variable into the function.
  2. Simplify the resulting expression as much as possible.
  3. Check if the denominator becomes zero at that value. If it does, then the limit does not exist.
  4. If the denominator is not zero, then the limit is equal to the simplified expression.

What is the significance of the limit of a rational function with a constant c?

The limit of a rational function with a constant c helps us understand the behavior of the function as the input variable approaches a certain value. It can also be used to determine the horizontal asymptote of the function, which is a line that the function approaches as the input variable approaches infinity or negative infinity.

Can the limit of a rational function with a constant c be undefined?

Yes, the limit of a rational function with a constant c can be undefined if the denominator becomes zero at the value of the input variable. This indicates that the function has a vertical asymptote at that value and does not approach a single value as the input variable approaches it. In this case, the limit does not exist.