Limit of a trigonometric integral

Your Name] In summary, the conversation revolved around proving the limit of an integral involving the cosine function over a measurable set is equal to zero. The original solution provided by the user involved using Bessel's inequality, but it was pointed out that this may not be a valid approach. Instead, the Riemann-Lebesgue lemma was suggested as a way to prove the limit is indeed zero.
hofhile

Homework Statement

Excersice of Big Rudin: ch. 4, prob. 9.

If [tex]A\subset [0,2\pi][/tex] and [tex]A[/tex] is measurable, prove that

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\int_{A}\cos\,nx\,dx=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

Bessel's inequality

The Attempt at a Solution

I give my solution, but I post because I think that my answer is completely wrong:

[tex]\chi_{A}\in L^{2}(T)[/tex] so [tex]c_{n}=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{A}e^{-int}\,dt[/tex] are the Fourier coefficient and by Bessel's inequality [tex]\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}|c_{n}|^{2}<\infty[/tex] therefore [tex]|c_{n}|\to 0[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\int_{A}\cos\,nx\,dx=0[/tex].

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your solution. However, I believe there may be a mistake in your reasoning. Bessel's inequality states that the sum of the squares of the Fourier coefficients is finite, but it does not necessarily mean that each individual coefficient tends to zero. In order to prove that the limit of the integral is zero, we need to use a different approach.

First, we can rewrite the integral as follows:

\int_{A}\cos\,nx\,dx=\frac{1}{n}\int_{A}\sin\,nx\,d(nx)=\frac{1}{n}\int_{A}\sin\,nx\,dx

Then, using the substitution u=nx, we can rewrite it again as:

\frac{1}{n}\int_{nA}\sin\,u\,du

Since A is a measurable set, nA is also measurable. Now, we can use the Riemann-Lebesgue lemma to prove that the limit of the integral is zero. This lemma states that if f is an integrable function and \phi is a continuous function, then

\lim_{n\to\infty}\int_{a}^{b}f(x)\phi(nx)\,dx=0

In our case, f(x)=\sin\,x and \phi(x)=\chi_{nA}(x), where \chi_{nA}(x) is the characteristic function of nA. Since \chi_{nA}(x) is continuous, we can apply the Riemann-Lebesgue lemma and conclude that

\lim_{n\to\infty}\int_{A}\sin\,nx\,dx=0

Therefore, the original integral also tends to zero as n approaches infinity.

I hope this helps clarify the solution. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Related to Limit of a trigonometric integral

1. What is the definition of a limit of a trigonometric integral?

The limit of a trigonometric integral is the value that the integral approaches as the independent variable approaches a specified value. It represents the behavior of the integral at a particular point.

2. How is the limit of a trigonometric integral evaluated?

The limit of a trigonometric integral can be evaluated through various methods, such as using L'Hopital's rule, substitution, or trigonometric identities. It is important to consider the properties of the integral, such as continuity and differentiability, when choosing an evaluation method.

3. What is the significance of the limit of a trigonometric integral in calculus?

The limit of a trigonometric integral is a fundamental concept in calculus, as it allows for the evaluation of functions that cannot be integrated directly. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of functions at specific points, which is crucial in many real-world applications.

4. Can the limit of a trigonometric integral be undefined?

Yes, the limit of a trigonometric integral can be undefined if the function being integrated has a discontinuity at the point where the limit is being evaluated. It is also possible for the limit to approach infinity or negative infinity, in which case it is considered to be undefined.

5. How is the limit of a trigonometric integral used in real-world applications?

The limit of a trigonometric integral has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to model real-world phenomena and make predictions, such as calculating the work done by a variable force or determining optimal production levels in a business.