Linear acceleration with letters instead of numbers

In summary: But it does say that.In summary, the lift starts from rest and travels with constant acceleration 4 m/s^2. It then travels with uniform speed and comes to rest with constant retardation of 4 m/s^. The total distance traveled is d and the total time taken is t. Using kinematics equations, it is shown that the time spent traveling at a constant speed is (t^2 - d)^(1/2). It is also noted that t1 and t3 must be equal since the deceleration during t3 is equal to the acceleration during t1 and the initial and final velocities are the same.
Woolyabyss

Homework Statement

A lift starts from rest and travels with constant acceleration 4 m/s^2.It then travels with uniform speed and comes to rest with constant retardation of 4 m/s^"
The total distance traveled is d and the total time taken is t.

Show that the time spent traveling at a constant speed is (t^2 - d)^(1/2)

Homework Equations

I called the maximum velocity "v", the time spent accelerating "t1", the time spent at constant speed "t2" and the time spent decelerating "t3" distance traveled when accelerating "d1",when at constant velocity "d2" and when decelerating "d3"

The Attempt at a Solution

I used v = u + at, to find that t1 = v/4 and t3 = v/4.
I then multiplied the times by (1/2)v
to get the distances in both cases d1 = v^2/8 and d3 = v^2/8.
I then said d2 = vt2 =d - (v^2)/4
I divided v by both sides to get t2= (d/v-(v/4).
I made t1 + t2 + t3 = t and simplified to get (4d + v^2) / (4v) = t.
I tried to isolate v but couldn't since there was a v squared.
My main problem here I think is I can't get v on its own so i can't get rid of v in t2.
Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you are looking for, in your notation, is t2 in terms of t and d. Don't worry about v. Write down the kinematics equations for each part of the path, using forms that only involve distance, time, and acceleration, since that is what you are given.

Am I not required to to use the maximum speed "v" since d2 has no acceleration.The only way I can express it is in terms of speed and time isn't it?

Woolyabyss said:
Am I not required to to use the maximum speed "v" since d2 has no acceleration.The only way I can express it is in terms of speed and time isn't it?
You can do that if you want, but it would be simpler in the end to express that speed in terms of what you already know.

Hmmm, after looking at this problem, does it not require that his t1=t3, or am I wrong? I get the right answer if I assume t1=t3 I think.

xodin said:
Hmmm, after looking at this problem, does it not require that his t1=t3, or am I wrong? I get the right answer if I assume t1=t3 I think.
The deceleration during t3 is equal and opposite to the acceleration during t1. The initial and final velocities are the same. Doesn't that imply t1=t3?

haruspex said:
The deceleration during t3 is equal and opposite to the acceleration during t1. The initial and final velocities are the same. Doesn't that imply t1=t3?

Yep, when I first read it though I didn't think it specified that it started and stopped at rest.

Related to Linear acceleration with letters instead of numbers

1. What is linear acceleration with letters instead of numbers?

Linear acceleration with letters instead of numbers refers to the concept of representing acceleration in a linear motion using variables or letters instead of numerical values.

2. How is linear acceleration with letters used in science?

Linear acceleration with letters is used in various scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, to describe the rate of change in velocity over time in a linear motion. It is often used in equations and formulas to calculate the acceleration of an object.

3. What are some common variables used to represent linear acceleration with letters?

Some common variables used to represent linear acceleration include "a" for acceleration, "v" for velocity, "t" for time, and "x" for displacement. These variables can be combined in different equations to solve for different unknowns in a linear motion problem.

4. How is linear acceleration with letters different from numerical values?

Linear acceleration with letters allows for a more general representation of acceleration, as it can be used in different situations without being limited to specific numerical values. It also allows for easier manipulation and calculation in equations compared to using specific numerical values.

5. Can linear acceleration with letters be negative?

Yes, linear acceleration with letters can be negative. A negative acceleration indicates that the velocity of an object is decreasing over time, while a positive acceleration indicates that the velocity is increasing over time. The direction of the acceleration can also be represented with letters, such as "a" for acceleration in the positive direction and "-a" for acceleration in the negative direction.