Linear algebra -- compute the following without finding invA

In summary: The question says to find "an easier way to do this". A quicker way to find the inverse of a matrix may not be what they had in mind.
SchrodingersMu

Homework Statement

upload_2015-3-6_12-4-18.png

Homework Equations

A=LU, U^-1 * L^-1= A^-1 , U^-1 * L^-1 * U^-1 * L^-1 = A^-2,

The Attempt at a Solution

I used MATLAB and the relations:
U^-1 * L^-1= A^-1 , U^-1 * L^-1 * U^-1 * L^-1 = A^-2,
to find a solution

I found U^-1*L^-1 , let =B

Then, found B^2 and took the inverse of B to get A^-2.

B=A^-1

C=inv(B^2)

so we have B*x+C*y= [2;5;10]

My question is: is there an easier way to do this? We are supposed to do this problem by hand. This would have taken a good amount fo effort to find so many inverse matrices. Any input is appreciated!

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
SchrodingersMu said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 80035

Homework Equations

to find a solution

B=A^-1

C=inv(B^2)

My question is: is there an easier way to do this? We are supposed to do this problem by hand. This would have taken a good amount fo effort to find so many inverse matrices.Any input is appreciated!

Thank you!
L and U are triangular matrices, so I don't think it would have been all that hard to compute their inverses by hand, especially since they're only 3 x 3. Also, once you have A-1, just multiply it by itself to get (A-1)2. You don't have to do the product of four matrices you show.

SchrodingersMu said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 80035

Homework Equations

to find a solution

B=A^-1

C=inv(B^2)

My question is: is there an easier way to do this? We are supposed to do this problem by hand. This would have taken a good amount fo effort to find so many inverse matrices.

Any input is appreciated!

Thank you!
When you found matrices, B and C, that violated your instruction which was that you should not form A-1 and A-2 explicitly.

Simply find L-1 and U-1 and use those. They are easy to find by hand.

As you say, since A= LU, [itex]A^{-1}= L^{-1}U^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]A^{-2}= L^{-1}U^{-1}L^{-1}U^{-1}[/itex] so the first thing I would do is find [itex]L^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]U^{-1}[/itex]. Since L and U are triangular, that should be easy to do "by hand".

(Well, that was three answer in quick succession- and we are all saying the same thing.)

SchrodingersMu said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 80035

Homework Equations

to find a solution

B=A^-1

C=inv(B^2)

My question is: is there an easier way to do this? We are supposed to do this problem by hand. This would have taken a good amount fo effort to find so many inverse matrices.Any input is appreciated!

Thank you!

You can do it by solving equations with ##A## on the left, which is doable easily from the LU decomposition. You want to compute ##v+w##, where ##v = A^{-1} x## and ##w = A^{-2} y##. We can get ##v## as the solution of the system ##A v = x## and we can get ##w## as the solution of ##A^2 w = y##, and this, in turn, can be obtained from the systems ##A w_0 = y##, ##A w = w_0##.

I don't know if this is what the questioner really wants.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear transformations between them. It involves the use of algebraic techniques to solve systems of linear equations and to study properties of matrices and vector spaces.

2. What is invA in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, invA refers to the inverse of a matrix A. The inverse of a matrix A is another matrix that, when multiplied by A, gives the identity matrix. It is denoted by A-1.

3. Why is it important to compute without finding invA in linear algebra?

Computing without finding invA can be more efficient and less computationally intensive. It also allows for the use of different methods and techniques, such as Gaussian elimination or LU decomposition, to solve systems of linear equations without explicitly finding the inverse of the matrix.

4. What are some common applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. It is used to solve complex systems of equations, analyze data, and in the development of computer algorithms for machine learning and image processing.

5. How can I improve my understanding of linear algebra?

To improve your understanding of linear algebra, it is important to practice solving problems and working with matrices and vectors. You can also read textbooks, watch online lectures, and work on real-world applications of linear algebra to deepen your understanding of the subject.