Linear Combination - clarifying statement.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a vector being a linear combination of other vectors and how to find the coefficients of the linear combination. It also discusses the relationship between two sets of vectors that span the same linear space. The conclusion is that the coefficients can be re-scaled without affecting the span, and therefore S1=S2 in this context.
charlies1902
In my textbook, The vector v is a linear combination of the vectors v1, v2, and v3 if there are scalars c1, c2, and c3, such that v=c1*v1+c2*v2+c3*v3.

So c has to be a "scalar."

To find these c values you can set up the augmented matrix (v1, v2, v3, v) and find the RREF. I'm a little confused. If you have a free variable in in the RREF matrix, that means c1, c2, and c3 aren't "scalars." does that mean v is not a linear combination of v1, v2, v3?
It would seem so from that question.

However in the next section in my textbook, it shows that you can write v as a linear combination of v1, v2, v3 even if you have a free variable in the augmented matrix. Isn't that contradictory?

Physics news on Phys.org
charlies1902 said:
In my textbook, The vector v is a linear combination of the vectors v1, v2, and v3 if there are scalars c1, c2, and c3, such that v=c1*v1+c2*v2+c3*v3.

To find these c values you can set up the augmented matrix (v1, v2, v3, v) and find the RREF. I'm a little confused. If you have a free variable in in the RREF matrix, that means c1, c2, and c3 aren't "scalars." does that mean v is not a linear combination of v1, v2, v3?

However in the next section in my textbook, it shows that you can write v as a linear combination of v1, v2, v3 even if you have a free variable in the augmented matrix. Isn't that contradictory?

Having a free variable in a scalar doesn't mean it not a scalar. It just means it's not a definite scalar. It could be any number of particular scalars.

charlies1902 said:

If v1, v2 and v3 are linearly independent, and if v is a linear combination of them, the coefficients c1, c2 and c3 will be unique, which means that there will not be any "free variables". However, if v1, v2 and v3 are linearly dependent (and v is a linear combination of them) the scalars will not be unique, so there will be "free variables". There is no contradiction here.

RGV

Okay thanks. I got another question.

Let S1 be the set of all linear combinations of the
vectors v1, v2, . . . , vk in R^n, and S2 be the set of
all linear combinations of the vectors v1, v2, . . . ,vk, cvk, where c is a nonzero scalar. Show that
S1 = S2.

The book's solution is attached.

I'm not quite sure what it's saying at the end when it says "v∈S1. Therefore S1=S2"

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 498
charlies1902 said:
Okay thanks. I got another question.

Let S1 be the set of all linear combinations of the
vectors v1, v2, . . . , vk in R^n, and S2 be the set of
all linear combinations of the vectors v1, v2, . . . ,vk, cvk, where c is a nonzero scalar. Show that
S1 = S2.

The book's solution is attached.

I'm not quite sure what it's saying at the end when it says "v∈S1. Therefore S1=S2"

If v1, v2, ... vn is one set of vectors and u1, u2, ..., un is another, but with u1 = v1, u2 = v2, ..., u_{n-1} = v_{n-1} and u_n = c*v_n, then using either set {u} or {v} we get the same "span" (where the span of a set of vectors is the set of all linear combinations of them). That is all it is saying.

Another way of saying it is that you can re-scale vn without affecting the span. Of course, it then follows that you can re-scale every one of the vectors without affecting the span. This matters sometimes, because it implies that instead of using a particular set of vectors to span a linear space, you can "normalize" them, for example, and still get the same spanned space.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
If v1, v2, ... vn is one set of vectors and u1, u2, ..., un is another, but with u1 = v1, u2 = v2, ..., u_{n-1} = v_{n-1} and u_n = c*v_n, then using either set {u} or {v} we get the same "span" (where the span of a set of vectors is the set of all linear combinations of them). That is all it is saying.

Another way of saying it is that you can re-scale vn without affecting the span. Of course, it then follows that you can re-scale every one of the vectors without affecting the span. This matters sometimes, because it implies that instead of using a particular set of vectors to span a linear space, you can "normalize" them, for example, and still get the same spanned space.

RGV

We haven't covered span yet in linear algebra, but I remember it from differential equations.

Can I word it this way?
The constants associated with Vk are ck/c*c for the former, and c*ck for the latter. To get from ck/c*c to c*ck, it requires a constant multiple, thus S1=S2?

1. What is a linear combination?

A linear combination is a mathematical operation in which two or more vectors are multiplied by different constants and then added together. It is often used in linear algebra to represent a set of equations or to solve systems of linear equations.

2. How is a linear combination different from scalar multiplication?

Scalar multiplication involves multiplying a single vector by a constant, while linear combination involves multiplying multiple vectors by different constants and then adding them together. In linear combination, the coefficients of the vectors can also vary, whereas in scalar multiplication the constant is the same for each vector.

3. Can a linear combination involve more than two vectors?

Yes, a linear combination can involve any number of vectors. The only requirement is that each vector must have its own coefficient or constant multiplier.

4. What is the purpose of using linear combination in scientific research?

In scientific research, linear combination can be used to model real-world systems and phenomena, such as chemical reactions, electrical circuits, and physical systems. It can also be used to solve systems of equations and make predictions based on experimental data.

5. Are there any limitations to using linear combination?

While linear combination is a powerful mathematical tool, it does have some limitations. For example, not all systems or phenomena can be accurately represented by linear combinations. Additionally, the coefficients used in a linear combination may not always be physically meaningful in the context of the problem being studied.