Linear application and différential

In summary, the author tries to construct a continuous differential equation using a ##C^{1}## application, but does not seem to understand why m is important.
Calabi

Homework Statement

Let be E a normded vectoriel space, ##dim(E) = m \in \mathbb{N}^{*}##, I have to show that ##\exists \rho_{1}, \rho_{2} > 0 | \forall u \in L(E), ||u^{m} - Id| \leq \rho_{1} \Rightarrow |u - Id| \leq \rho_{2}##.

Homework Equations

Nothing.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I try to constrcut a ##C^{1}## application which will have by definition a continuous différential. But I don't see what the dimension m as to do in here and I'm really locked.

Could you give me a clue please?

Thank you in advance and have a nice afternoon:oldbiggrin:.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the eigenvalues of [itex]u[/itex]. There are at most [itex]m[/itex] of them, and a finite set of real numbers always has a maximum and a minimum.

If I look in ##\mathbb{R}## it's possible ther's no eigenvalues and the matrice I ut is not necessarely diagonaloisabled.
Are you sure it's really exploitable?

I find this problem on differential calcul set of problem.

I have an idea.

Let put us around the identity ##Id##, the application ##\phi : u \in L(E) \rightarrow u^{m} \in L(E)## is ##C^{\infty}##, as the differential in ##Id## is an isomorphism, then the inverse function theorem show that ##\exists \rho_{1}, \rho_{2} > 0 | \phi : B(Id, \rho_{1}) \rightarrow B(Id, \rho_{2})## is a bijection. But as ##\phi## is not injective it doesn't work.

I corrrecte the ennoncee : ##
\exists \rho_{1}, \rho_{2} > 0 | \forall v \in L(E) \exists u \in L(E) | u^{m} = v \text{ and } ||v - Id|| \leq \rho_{1} \Rightarrow ||u - Id|| \leq \rho_{2}##

I think we use m is the dimension for the unicity but I don't see why, the rest is an application of the inverse function theorem.
Thanks for your help.

Yeah what I wroght non works I think but I don't use ##m = dim(E)##.
What do you think please?

1. What is a linear application?

A linear application, also known as a linear transformation or linear map, is a mathematical function that maps vectors from one vector space to another while preserving the properties of addition and scalar multiplication. In simpler terms, it is a function that takes in vectors and outputs other vectors in a linear fashion.

2. How is a linear application different from a regular function?

A linear application is a specific type of function that has the property of linearity, meaning that the output is directly proportional to the input. Unlike regular functions, linear applications are subject to certain rules and properties, such as the preservation of addition and scalar multiplication, that regular functions do not necessarily have to follow.

3. What is a differential?

A differential is an infinitesimal change in a mathematical function or variable. It can also refer to the derivative of a function, which represents the rate of change of that function at a given point. Differentials are important in calculus and other areas of mathematics as they allow for the precise measurement of changes in functions.

4. How are linear applications and differentials related?

Linear applications and differentials are related in that differentials can be used to represent the linear approximation of a function at a given point. This allows for the estimation of the function's value at nearby points and is a key concept in differential calculus.

5. What are some real-life applications of linear applications and differentials?

Linear applications and differentials are used in many real-life situations, such as in physics to model the movement of objects, in economics to analyze supply and demand curves, and in engineering to design and optimize systems. They are also used in computer graphics to manipulate images and in machine learning algorithms to make predictions and classifications.