How Can I Linearize a Velocity vs Force Graph in Circular Motion Analysis?

In summary, the Homework Statement is trying to find a relationship between force, velocity, and time. The Attempt at a Solution is not sure what equation to use to get acceleration as a constant. The first part of the question is wanting to get the two variables on one side of the equation and the constants on the other, but the Attempt is not sure what equation has both Force and Velocity in it.
Bryan Tran

Homework Statement

In my circular motion lab, I have to find the Varying Force.
I have a constant Bob mass, and constant radius. I also have the data recorded of the Hanging mass, Time for 10 circles, period, force, and speed.
Then I had a velocity vs force graph which I plotted the data and found a power regression.

Now, I'm trying to linearize the data of a Velocity vs Force graph...

Homework Equations

F=ma
a=v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part of the question is wanting to get me to get the two variables on one side of the equation and the constants on the other, but I'm not sure what equation has both Force and Velocity in it and can give me acceleration as a constant.. Unless I'm looking at it wrong, help?

I can't really attempt anything because I'm already stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is your experiment like fig 3a.1 on the page http://www.physics.fsu.edu/users/ng/Courses/phy2053c/Labs/Expt03a/Expt03a-3.htm ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, very similar! except it's for 10 rotations, not 15.

The page in the link ends with the tanatalizing statement:

Next week you will investigate the experimental uncertainty in your exponents with the aid of the computer program Quattro Pro and determine whether your values of n are consistent with simple fractions. You will then be able to discuss your results in comparison with the theoretical relationship between F M, R and V.

Can you find a link to next week's notes? - or any page that describes the format of your data?

If not, I think you'll have to provide such a description for me to be of any help because your question needs to be stated with more detail.

This PDF?: http://www.physics.fsu.edu/courses/Fall04/phy2053c/labs/centripetal.PDF

I think this PDF describes the procedure. It's probably linear least squares regression: http://www.physics.fsu.edu/users/ng/Courses/phy2053c/Labs/Expt02b-03b/Expt02b-03b.pdf

http://www.webassign.net/userimages/Linearization%20Practice%20-%20Circular%20Motion%20Lab.pdf?id=317339&db=v4net
Here's the PDF

But in this one it doesn't have velocity... Maybe that's what I'm suppose to do... not use velocity and just use the variable vs time

1. What is linearization of data?

Linearization of data is a method used to transform nonlinear data into a linear relationship. This is achieved by applying mathematical operations, such as logarithms, to the data.

2. Why is linearization of data important in scientific research?

Linearization of data is important because it allows for easier analysis and interpretation of data. It also helps to identify patterns and trends that may not be visible in the original nonlinear data.

3. What are some common techniques used for linearization of data?

Some common techniques for linearization of data include logarithmic transformation, power transformation, and polynomial regression. Other methods, such as Box-Cox transformation and exponential transformation, can also be used.

4. Can linearization of data be applied to any type of data?

Linearization of data can be applied to most types of data, including numerical, categorical, and time series data. However, the success of the linearization process may vary depending on the characteristics of the data.

5. Are there any limitations to linearization of data?

Linearization of data may not always be appropriate or effective, as it assumes a linear relationship between the variables. Additionally, the transformed data may not accurately reflect the original data and can lead to misinterpretation if not applied correctly.