Lithium-ion rechargeable batteries

In summary, the conversation is about finding a resource that explains the chemistry and physics of a lithium ion cell in a comprehensive yet simple manner. The person asking the question is a graduate physics student and is looking for a source that starts from basic knowledge and progresses to advanced level. They have already looked at Battery University but found it too basic. They are looking for a resource similar to "Battery Management Systems, Volume 1: Battery Modeling" by Gregory L. Plett, but without the focus on modeling.
Rzbs
TL;DR Summary
What is the best resources for understanding Li-ion battery?
I want to know how a lithium ion rechargeable cell works with very basics details. I don't need a simple describtion like most of the websites and videos. I need a resource that explain the chemistry and physics of a Li ion cell from very basics of knowledge.
Could you please introduce such a source for Li ion cell?
Or any other suggestion for learning the physics and chemistry of cells?

Engineering news on Phys.org
fateme said:
Summary:: What is the best resources for understanding Li-ion battery?

I want to know how a lithium ion rechargeable cell works with very basics details. I don't need a simple describtion like most of the websites and videos. I need a resource that explain the chemistry and physics of a Li ion cell from very basics of knowledge.
Could you please introduce such a source for Li ion cell?
Or any other suggestion for learning the physics and chemistry of cells?
It's a little hard to understand at what level you want information. What chemistry classes have you taken so far? Were they in high school or undergraduate university? What other chemistry learning or reading have you done about batteries so far?

Is the information at Battery University too basic still?

https://batteryuniversity.com/

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/types_of_lithium_ion

They aren't good. They are very simple. I need a book like "battery management systems, volume1:battery modeling By Gregory L. Plett". he try to explain difficult equations in simplest way. But I do not need "modeling".
I need a source that explain "physics and chemistry" of "Li-ion cell" from basics to advanced level.
I know chemistry in basics level but physics in advanced level. Actually I'm a graduate physics student in university.

Last edited:

1. What is a lithium-ion rechargeable battery?

A lithium-ion rechargeable battery is a type of rechargeable battery that uses lithium ions as the main component of its electrochemical reaction. It is commonly used in portable electronic devices such as cell phones, laptops, and digital cameras.

2. How does a lithium-ion rechargeable battery work?

A lithium-ion rechargeable battery works by storing energy in its chemical form during charging and releasing it as electrical energy during discharge. The lithium ions move between the positive and negative electrodes, allowing for a reversible electrochemical reaction.

3. What are the advantages of using lithium-ion rechargeable batteries?

Lithium-ion rechargeable batteries have several advantages over other types of rechargeable batteries. They have a high energy density, meaning they can store a lot of energy in a small size. They also have a low self-discharge rate, meaning they can hold their charge for a long time. They are also lightweight and have no memory effect, allowing them to be charged and discharged without affecting their overall capacity.

4. Are there any safety concerns with lithium-ion rechargeable batteries?

While lithium-ion rechargeable batteries are generally safe to use, there have been cases of them catching fire or exploding. This is usually due to overcharging, short-circuiting, or physical damage to the battery. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper charging and storage to minimize the risk of accidents.

5. How can I extend the lifespan of my lithium-ion rechargeable battery?

To extend the lifespan of your lithium-ion rechargeable battery, it is important to avoid overcharging and deep discharging. It is also recommended to use the battery regularly and not let it sit unused for long periods of time. Keeping the battery at a moderate temperature (around 15-25 degrees Celsius) can also help prolong its lifespan.