Load on Bridge Trusses for Intro to Engineering

In summary, to calculate the load on each member, you can use the equations \sum \tau = 0 and \sum F = 0 to find the torques and sum of forces at each point. You can also solve for unknown support reactions by summing torques = 0 around each support, or by using symmetry. To check your work, ensure that the sum of reaction forces equals the applied load. The Method of Joints can also be used to isolate each joint and find the sum of forces in the x and y directions, with resultant member forces acting along the direction of the member.
tempneff

Homework Statement

Calculate the load on each member
4c684753-9a46-4b18-96ae-f551a2191945.jpe

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum \tau=0[/tex] -because it isn't rotating.
[tex]\sum F =0[/tex] - because it isn't moving.
[tex]\tau = Fd\sin \theta[/tex] - to take the torque at any point

The Attempt at a Solution

I can calculate the torques at each point. I understand that the sums must equal zero. I understand the the concepts of tension and compression and how to get them from the forces at each point.

I have some kind of mental block where I cannot for the love of all that is good and holy relate all that I do understand to the forces at each point.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can solve for the unknown right support reaction by summing torques = 0 about the left support.
You can solve for the unknown left support reaction by summing torques = 0 about the right support.

You can check your work by making sure that the sum of the reaction forces equals the applied load.

Or you can find the support reactions just from symmetry.

Once you get those reactions, isolate each joint separately , starting at the left support. The sum of forces in the x and y directions must equal 0 at each joint. In a truss, the resultant member forces act along the the direction of the member. Gooooogle on "Method of Joints", for the love of all that is good and holy:wink:

1. What is a bridge truss?

A bridge truss is a structure made up of interconnected beams that form a series of triangles. The triangles distribute the load of the bridge evenly, making the structure strong and stable.

2. What factors affect the load on a bridge truss?

The load on a bridge truss is affected by several factors, including the weight of the bridge itself, the weight of the vehicles and pedestrians using the bridge, wind and weather conditions, and the design and materials used in the construction of the bridge.

3. How do engineers determine the maximum load a bridge truss can handle?

Engineers use mathematical calculations and computer simulations to determine the maximum load a bridge truss can handle. They take into account the weight of the bridge, expected traffic loads, and other factors to ensure the bridge can safely support the intended load.

4. What happens if a bridge truss is overloaded?

If a bridge truss is overloaded, it can result in structural failure and collapse. This can lead to serious safety hazards for those using the bridge and can also cause significant damage to the bridge itself. That's why it's important for engineers to carefully calculate and design bridges to handle expected loads.

5. How do engineers repair or strengthen a bridge truss if it is not able to handle the load?

If a bridge truss is unable to handle the intended load, engineers may need to reinforce or repair the structure. This can involve adding additional beams or braces to increase the load-bearing capacity, or replacing damaged or weakened components. In some cases, it may be necessary to completely rebuild the bridge to ensure it can safely support the required load.