Local symmetry and forces, what book to read?

In summary, there are many books available on the topic of local symmetry and forces in gauge theories. Zee and Peskin&Schroeder are highly recommended, but there are also other options depending on personal preference. Some other suggestions include Vincent Icke's "Force of Symmetry," K. Huang's "Fundamental Forces of Nature," S. Coleman's "Aspects of Symmetry," and Aitchison and Hey's "Gauge Theories in Particle Physics." Additionally, Bruce A. Schumm's "Deep Down Things" and Aitchison and Hey's two volume set are also highly recommended.
aro
I would like some tips about what book I should read if I want to properly understand the relation between local symmetry and forces in gauge theories. And with properly uinderstand I mean a combination of mathematics and intuition/visualization.
On the topic of QFT I have the books by Zee ( ...nutshell) and Peskin&Schroeder (introduction to...) but still I would like something else. For instance I just noticed a book by Vincent Icke, Force of Symmetry, that might be something but I haven't bought it yet. So, who has some experience with good literature on this subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many books. With Zee and Peskin&Schroeder you really have excellent material already. I think you could just concentrate on both.

There are many other possibilities, and choices mostly depend on taste of course. I have not read Vincent Icke, Force of Symmetry. It seems to me similar to K. Huang, Fundamental Forces of Nature, The Story of Gauge Fields (World Scientific, 2007). An excellent classic is S. Coleman, Aspects of Symmetry (Erice lectures) (CUP 1985) but it is becoming old.

humanino said:
There are many other possibilities, and choices mostly depend on taste of course.

This is very true, so I'll add a two more possibilities. First, the mainly non-mathematical book Deep Down Things: The Breathtaking Beauty of Particle Physics by Bruce A. Schumm,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/080187971X/?tag=pfamazon01-20,

and second, the very pedagogical two volume set, Gauge Theories in Particle Physics by Aitchison and Hey,

http://www.taylorandfrancis.com/sho.../search/search.asp!search=gauge$sortBy=1$pn=1

http://www.taylorandfrancis.com/sho.../search/search.asp?search=gauge&sortBy=1&pn=1.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Local symmetry and forces, what book to read?

1. What is local symmetry and how does it affect forces?

Local symmetry refers to the symmetry present in a small region of space. In physics, this concept is often used to describe the symmetries of subatomic particles. Local symmetry can affect forces by allowing for more efficient interactions between particles, leading to stronger or weaker forces depending on the type of symmetry present.

2. How is local symmetry related to gauge theories?

Local symmetry is a key concept in gauge theories, which are mathematical frameworks used to explain the behavior of fundamental forces in nature. In these theories, the local symmetry of a system is described by a set of mathematical equations known as gauge transformations.

3. What is the difference between local symmetry and global symmetry?

Global symmetry refers to symmetries that are present in the entire system, while local symmetry only applies to a small region of space. Global symmetries are often used to describe the overall behavior of a physical system, while local symmetries are more useful for understanding the interactions between particles within the system.

4. Are there any recommended books for learning about local symmetry and forces?

Yes, there are several books that cover the topic of local symmetry and forces. Some popular options include "Gauge Theories in Particle Physics: A Practical Introduction" by Ian J.R. Aitchison and "Symmetry and the Standard Model: Mathematics and Particle Physics" by Matthew Robinson.

5. How does understanding local symmetry and forces contribute to scientific research?

Understanding local symmetry and forces is crucial for advancing our understanding of the fundamental forces in nature and how they interact with matter. This knowledge is essential in fields such as particle physics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics, and can lead to new discoveries and technological advancements.