Log-Plots: Solving Homework Equations

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about graphing ln(y) on a log-log plot and finding the asymptotes for both small and large values of x. There is a debate about the accuracy of using ln(y) = 0 as the asymptote for small x-values, with one person suggesting ln(y) = 2e^(lnx) as a better approximation. The conversation also touches on the approach to solving the problem and the process of graphing the function.
WWCY

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 10.35.02 PM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been trying to rearrange the equation to look something like ln(y) = Aln(x) but to no avail. Something tells me that that's not necessarily the right way to approach the problem, could anyone point out what I should be trying to do? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The graph won't be a straight line on the log-log-plot.

You can find individual points, and then connect them with a line.

What does ##\ln{(x^2 +2x+1)}## approach for small values of x (linear approximation in x)? What does ##\ln{(x^2 +2x+1)}## approach at large values of x (linear in ##\ln{x}##)? Plot these on your graph with dashed lines to indicate asymptotes.

Thanks for the replies.

Does this mean i should be plotting lny = ln(x2+2x+1) instead of trying to resolve ln(x2+2x+1) into something like lnx?

WWCY said:
Thanks for the replies.

Does this mean i should be plotting lny = ln(x2+2x+1) instead of trying to resolve ln(x2+2x+1) into something like lnx?
Read my post again.

Chestermiller said:
Read my post again.

So I've done a bit of a sketch and ln(y) dips to negative infinity (asymptote) at x = -1, it then rises slowly to infinity from x = ±1 to infinity axis (symmetrical about x = -1). I don't know how to go on from here, any further pointers are greatly appreciated.

At x = 1, ln(y) = ln(4).

At very large x, ln(y) approaches ##\ln(x^2)=2\ln{x}##

What does y approach at small x (i.e., linear approximation)?

WWCY said:
So I've done a bit of a sketch and ln(y) dips to negative infinity (asymptote) at x = -1, it then rises slowly to infinity from x = ±1 to infinity axis (symmetrical about x = -1). I don't know how to go on from here, any further pointers are greatly appreciated.
There are no negative x-values in your logarithmic plot. What is y at x=0? What about very small x-values (e. g. 10-100)?

mfb said:
There are no negative x-values in your logarithmic plot. What is y at x=0? What about very small x-values (e. g. 10-100)?

When x goes to 0, y tends to x0 and ln(y) ≈ 0ln(x)?

Apologies if this is really obvious, I'm having a hard time grasping this. Thanks for your patience

For small values of x, y approaches 1+2x, so ln(y) approaches ##2x=2e^{\ln{x}}##

WWCY said:
When x goes to 0, y tends to x0
Why x0? The answer is a real number, it shouldn't have any x in it.

@Chestermiller: That is not the point of my question. A much easier estimate is needed here.

That would be the asymptote for small x.

WWCY said:
I have been trying to rearrange the equation to look something like ln(y) = Aln(x) but to no avail. Something tells me that that's not necessarily the right way to approach the problem, could anyone point out what I should be trying to do? Thanks!
You might find it helpful to rewrite the function slightly as ##y = (x+1)^2## so that ##\ln y = 2 \ln (x+1)##.

On the horizontal axis, you have ##-\infty < \ln x < \infty## which means ##0 < x < \infty##. ##\ln x = 0## corresponds to ##x=1##, so the left half of the axis corresponds to the range ##0 < x < 1## and the right half of the axis, to ##x > 1##.

What is ##\ln y## approximately equal to when ##x\ll 1## (left end of the plot) and when ##x \gg 1## (right end of the plot)?

Likes Chestermiller
Chestermiller said:
That would be the asymptote for small x.
You don't need the linear term for this asymptote.

mfb said:
You don't need the linear term for this asymptote.
Sure you do. The asymptote I'm referring to is $$\ln{y}=2e^{\ln{x}}$$It's not linear or as simple as ##\ln{y}=0##, but it's much more accurate for x < 1 (and not too difficult to plot).

What you want to study is not a straight line. Let OP start with a simpler problem before we go to more advanced steps.

Would I be right in saying:

set x into a table, ie x = 0, x = 1 and so on
set corresponding y into a table ie y = 1, y = 4 and so on

take values of lnx and lny, and plot them onto the lnx and lny axes (ignoring x = 0 and y = 1).

Asymptote as x tends to ∞ is the line ln(y) = 2ln(x) due to x2 being the dominant term as x is nearing ∞.

Asymptote as x tends to 0 is the line ln(y) = ln(1).

However, I still don't quite understand what @Chestermiller is saying regarding the asymptote as x -> 0.

Thank you both for your patience.

WWCY said:
Asymptote as x tends to ∞ is the line ln(y) = 2ln(x) due to x2 being the dominant term as x is nearing ∞.

Right.

WWCY said:
Would I be right in saying:

set x into a table, ie x = 0, x = 1 and so on
set corresponding y into a table ie y = 1, y = 4 and so on

take values of lnx and lny, and plot them onto the lnx and lny axes (ignoring x = 0 and y = 1).

However, I still don't quite understand what @Chestermiller is saying regarding the asymptote as x -> 0.

Thank you both for your patience.
There is a second asymptote as x tends to 0 that provides a much closer approximation to the desired function than simply ln(y)=0. That asymptote is $$\ln{y}=2e^{\ln{x}}$$. Plot it up and see what you get in comparison to the desired function.

Both functions in the relevant range. I don't see the point.

ln(y)=0 is an asymptote, a nice straight line that provides an excellent approximation for small x. What you suggest is an arbitrary function that is not a straight line and not the full function either.

mfb said:
Both functions in the relevant range. I don't see the point.

ln(y)=0 is an asymptote, a nice straight line that provides an excellent approximation for small x. What you suggest is an arbitrary function that is not a straight line and not the full function either.
Asymptote.png

That is not the x-range where you would use an asymptote. It is between small x and large x.

mfb said:
That is not the x-range where you would use an asymptote. It is between small x and large x.
Whatever

Likes Chestermiller

Related to Log-Plots: Solving Homework Equations

1. What is a log plot?

A log plot is a type of graph in which the logarithm of one or more of the axes is used instead of the actual numerical values. This type of plot is often used when there is a large range of values and the data needs to be visualized in a more manageable way.

2. How do you create a log plot?

To create a log plot, you will first need to determine which axis or axes will be plotted on a logarithmic scale. Then, you will need to calculate the logarithm of each corresponding data point and plot those values on the log scale. Most graphing software and calculators have a built-in log plot option that will do this automatically.

3. What are the advantages of using a log plot?

Log plots can help to better visualize data that has a large range of values, making it easier to see patterns and trends. They can also help to compress data that has a high degree of variability, making it easier to compare different data points.

4. How do you solve equations using log plots?

To solve equations using log plots, you will first need to convert the equation into its logarithmic form. Then, you can plot the equation on a log plot and find the intersection of the line with the appropriate axis to determine the solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using log plots?

While log plots can be useful for visualizing data, they can also present some limitations. For example, they may not accurately represent the true relationship between variables and can make it difficult to compare data points that are close together on the axis. Additionally, log plots are not suitable for all types of data and may not be appropriate for every situation.