Looking for a Detailed Explanation of How Transistors and Logic Gates Compute

In summary, processors use a set of logic gates in a grid to perform universal computation. Over time, the number of gates has increased, but the task of programming the gates remains the same.
stephenmalina
Hi, I've looked everywhere for an explanation of this, including this forum, and none of them seem to satisfy the level of detail I am looking for. More specifically, I am interested in how processing units used a fixed setup of logic gates and transistors to perform universal computation. Also, while I understand how transistors function in storing/changing bits, I still don't where the logic gates are in the processing unit. Any help or guidance would be appreciated, Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Transistors and diodes are basic elements in the logic gates and logic gates are used for implementing flip flops. Flip flops which gets it's name because they have clock pulses as their inputs are used to store information. Types of logic devices we have is Programmable logic devices, Programmable Logic Arrays, Programmable Array logic: CPLD, FPGA.
Memory devices : ROM, PROM, EPROM, EEPROM, EAPROM.

Last edited:
The most basic computer imaginable performs a single calculation, with a fixed number of inputs, every time it is given a clock edge. It holds the output value until the next calculation is performed.

Then, over time you add more and more types of calculations.

Ok both those explanations make sense; so thank you. But, how is it that the same set of logic gates on a computer chip can compute any calculation that a universal computer can compute for the most part? Are the logic gates set up in a grid and certain ones activated after each clock switch?

Computational tasks are performed by a specific IC called Microprocessor. After years of development we have managed to integrate large number of gates on a single chip that it still mystifies some of us. From here on we will be looking to integrate more smaller sizes of transistors of the order 35nm on a microprocessor's chip. If possible maybe we will reduce the voltage that drives these millions of transistors for some reasons.
If you need more detailed information refer a book on Very Large Scale Integration.
The book will give detailed information on how transistor gates are etched on silicon wafers and how we are able to achieve such vast number of gates on such Silicon wafers.

Ok. I think I understand but I will definitely refer to the book you mentioned for more information.

default.jpg

1. What is a transistor and how does it work?

A transistor is a semiconductor device that acts as a switch or amplifier in electronic circuits. It consists of three layers of material, called the emitter, base, and collector, which control the flow of electricity. When a voltage is applied to the base, it allows current to flow from the emitter to the collector.

2. How do transistors and logic gates work together to perform computations?

Transistors act as the building blocks for logic gates, which are electronic circuits that process and manipulate binary signals (1s and 0s). The arrangement of transistors within a logic gate determines its function, such as AND, OR, or NOT. By combining multiple logic gates, more complex computations can be performed.

3. What is the role of input and output in transistor and logic gate computation?

Input and output play a crucial role in transistor and logic gate computation. Inputs are binary signals that are fed into the circuit, while outputs are the resulting binary signals after the computation has been performed. The arrangement and flow of inputs and outputs determine the logic of the circuit and the final result.

4. How do logic gates use boolean algebra to compute?

Logic gates use boolean algebra, which is a mathematical system for working with binary variables (0s and 1s), to perform computations. Each logic gate has a corresponding boolean expression that describes its function. These expressions are based on logical operations such as AND, OR, and NOT, which can be represented by mathematical symbols.

5. What are the limitations of using transistors and logic gates for computation?

While transistors and logic gates are essential components of modern computing devices, they do have limitations. These include the speed at which they can process information, the amount of power they consume, and the complexity of computations they can perform. Additionally, as technology advances, smaller and more efficient components are being developed, making transistors and logic gates less commonly used for computation.