Looking for chemical that can clean hard water stain on glass.

In summary, the conversation suggests using acid-based cleaners such as Naval jelly, phosphoric acid, sulfamic acid, or hydrochloric acid to remove hard water stains and soap scum on shower door glass. However, it is advised to be cautious when using acid on clear glass as it may etch the surface. Commercially available cleaners such as Lime-A-Way, Sanivac, C-L-R, or Lysol Power Toilet Bowl Cleaner are also recommended. If using acid, Sunny Brite Classic or Sunny Brite II are suggested as effective options for removing hard water stains on clear or safety glass.
yungman
I have a very hard time cleaning out the hard water stain and soap scum on the shower door glass. I tried the normal cleaning spray. I tried using Vinegar( acetic acid), Lime juice (citric acid) with no luck at all.

Any suggestion on what I can try?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Naval jelly, phosphoric acid, sulfamic acid and hydrochloric acid. If you have an aluminum edge on the door, I'd stick with the commercially available ones like Lime-A-Way, Sanivac, C-L-R or Lysol Power Toilet Bowl Cleaner.

chemisttree said:
Naval jelly, phosphoric acid, sulfamic acid and hydrochloric acid. If you have an aluminum edge on the door, I'd stick with the commercially available ones like Lime-A-Way, Sanivac, C-L-R or Lysol Power Toilet Bowl Cleaner.

Thanks for the reply, I definitely am not going to go with the strong acid, I tried the CLR lime and hard water already. I'll look into the Toilet bowl cleaner.

Any possibility of the hard water and soap eat into the glass. I don't think so, but just double checking.

Thanks

Be careful using acid to clean it if it is clear glass as acid tends to etch safety glass. Sunny Brite Classic is an excellent acid based hard water stain remover (if you, in fact, decide to use acid) and Sunny Brite II is formulated for use on safety glass and does an excellent job. Both are available on Amazon.

I understand your frustration with trying to clean hard water stains on glass. Hard water stains are caused by the buildup of minerals, such as calcium and magnesium, which can be difficult to remove with traditional cleaning methods. However, there are several chemical options that may be effective in removing these stains.

One option is to use a commercial cleaner specifically designed for removing hard water stains. These cleaners often contain ingredients such as hydrochloric acid or sulfamic acid, which are strong acids that can dissolve mineral buildup. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully and use protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, when using these cleaners.

Another option is to use a mixture of baking soda and white vinegar. Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate, is a mild abrasive that can help to scrub away the buildup on the glass. When combined with white vinegar, which contains acetic acid, the mixture can create a foaming reaction that can help to dissolve the minerals. However, this method may require some scrubbing and multiple applications for stubborn stains.

You may also want to consider using a water softener to prevent future buildup of minerals on your shower door glass. Water softeners work by removing the minerals from hard water, making it less likely to leave stains on surfaces.

In addition to these chemical options, there are also mechanical methods that can be effective in removing hard water stains. For example, using a razor blade or a pumice stone can help to scrape away the buildup on the glass. However, these methods should be used with caution to avoid scratching the glass.

In conclusion, there are several chemical options that you can try to remove hard water stains on glass. It may require some trial and error to find the most effective method for your specific situation. I recommend using protective equipment and following safety precautions when using any chemical cleaner. If the stains persist, you may want to consult a professional cleaning service for assistance.

1. What causes hard water stains on glass?

Hard water stains on glass are caused by the presence of minerals, such as calcium and magnesium, in the water. When the water evaporates, these minerals are left behind and form a white or cloudy residue on the glass surface.

2. Can regular glass cleaners remove hard water stains?

No, regular glass cleaners are not effective in removing hard water stains because they are not designed to dissolve mineral deposits. They may temporarily mask the stains, but they will reappear once the cleaner has evaporated.

3. What chemicals are effective in removing hard water stains from glass?

Acids, such as vinegar or lemon juice, are effective in dissolving mineral deposits and removing hard water stains from glass. Commercial cleaners containing citric acid or hydrochloric acid can also be used.

4. How should I apply the chemical to remove hard water stains?

The best way to apply the chemical is to dilute it with water and spray it onto the stained area. Let it sit for a few minutes to allow the acid to dissolve the minerals, then scrub the surface with a non-abrasive sponge or cloth. Rinse thoroughly with water afterwards.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when using chemicals to remove hard water stains?

Yes, it is important to wear gloves and protective eyewear when using acidic cleaners. Also, make sure to ventilate the area well and avoid inhaling the fumes. If the stain is on a delicate or painted surface, test the cleaner on a small, inconspicuous area first to make sure it does not cause any damage.