Looking for some order to learn algebra

• Thread starter awholenumber
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding terms such as "simplify" and "solve" in the context of learning algebra. Suggestions for resources and topics to focus on, such as factoring, rational expressions, and equations, are also mentioned. The website mentioned, ncert.nic.in, provides free downloads of Indian syllabus-based textbooks for grades 1-12.
awholenumber
i have some confusions with some terms ,especially terms like simplify , solve .
Factors ,GCF ,LCM

Should i start learning it like this ?
Simplify fraction
Simplify Algebraic expression
Simplify Algebraic fractions
Solve Algebraic equations

?

Physics news on Phys.org
The looks ok to me. You might look at Schaum's Outline of Elementary Algebra to see what they do.

Likes awholenumber
Thanks a lot :)

rosekidcute said:
Simplify fraction
Simplify Algebraic expression
Simplify Algebraic fractions
Solve Algebraic equations
@FactChecker's suggestion is a good one, IMO.

The list above is a rough start, but most of the divisions are too broad to be very helpful.
We could include with "simplify fraction" these operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of rational expressions. Simplifying algebraic fractions usually means removing common factors from the numerator and denominator, and these depend on knowledge of factoring and least common multiple.

"Algebraic expression" could include lots of topics, including linear and quadratic expressions, rational expressions, expressions with radicals, expressions with exponents, and lots more.

"Algebraic equations" likewise includes many subtopics.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions Mark44 ,
I was trying to download some texts from this website

http://ncert.nic.in/textbook/textbook.htm

You can freely download the ncert indian syallbus based textbooks from Grade 1 to Grade 12 for free

Related to Looking for some order to learn algebra

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations and understand relationships between quantities.

2. Why is it important to learn algebra?

Algebra is a fundamental tool for problem-solving in many fields, including science, engineering, economics, and computer science. It also helps to develop critical thinking and logical reasoning skills.

3. How can I learn algebra?

There are many resources available for learning algebra, including textbooks, online courses, and tutoring services. It is important to find a method that works best for you and to practice regularly.

4. What are the basic concepts in algebra?

Some of the basic concepts in algebra include variables, equations, functions, and graphs. It is important to understand these concepts and how they relate to each other in order to solve problems in algebra.

5. Is algebra difficult to learn?

Algebra can be challenging for some people, but with dedication and practice, it can be mastered. It is important to start with the basics and build a strong foundation before moving on to more complex concepts.