Looking for sources of information on Black Holes

In summary, the conversation revolves around a masters degree student seeking good sources for understanding black holes. One suggestion is the textbook "Gravitation" by Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler, while another option is "Wald's General Relativity" which has a good treatment of black holes. A free download of "Exploring Black Holes: Introduction to General Relativity" is also suggested.
Lilian Sa
TL;DR Summary
good sources of black holes
hey
Im new here, I am a masters degree student.
I woud ask about any good source for understanding black hole for a master's degree student.

thanks

Space news on Phys.org
Your subject line is "inflation" but your post has nothing to do with inflation. Are you sure you are using the terms you want?

I fixed it.
thanks

Lilian Sa said:
Summary:: good sources of black holes

hey
Im new here, I am a masters degree student.
I woud ask about any good source for understanding black hole for a master's degree student.

thanks
For a master's student in physics, I'd recommend a good GR textbook. Gravitation is pretty famous for being a great one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitation_(book)

Lilian Sa said:

Wald's General Relativity is a good GR textbook and has a good treatment of black holes.

Thank you all, I saved all of them :)

Likes kimbyd and berkeman

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region of space with a gravitational pull so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is created when a massive star dies and its core collapses under its own weight.

2. How do we detect black holes?

We cannot directly observe black holes as they do not emit light. Instead, we detect them by observing their effects on the surrounding matter and light. For example, we can detect X-rays emitted by matter as it falls into a black hole.

3. What are some reliable sources of information on black holes?

Some reliable sources include scientific journals, reputable websites of space agencies such as NASA and ESA, and books written by experts in the field.

4. What are the current theories about black holes?

The current theories about black holes include Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes how gravity works, and quantum mechanics, which deals with the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. However, there is still much we do not know about black holes and their behavior.

5. Can anything escape from a black hole?

Once something crosses the event horizon (the point of no return) of a black hole, it cannot escape. However, some theoretical models suggest that information may be able to escape through a process called Hawking radiation, but this has not been observed or proven yet.