Lorentz contraction and Spacetime diagram

In summary: It's from the Lorentz Transformation, which I assume is the "identical calculation from before".In summary, the author found an expression relating ##x_{c}## and v from the Lorentz Transformation. This is difficult to understand without seeing the full derivation, but it seems Schutz was able to solve for ##x## and ##t## using this equation.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
1613471450045.png

Hello, i can't understand how does the author found this expression relating ##x_{c}## and v. I already tried by a lot of geometrical ways, knowing that the tangent of the angle between the dotted line and the x-axis should be v, but the results are illogical. Could you help me? I am start to thinking it is a postulate ...

Physics news on Phys.org
It's from the Lorentz Transformation, which I assume is the "identical calculation from before".

PeroK said:
It's from the Lorentz Transformation, which I assume is the "identical calculation from before".
But he derive the Lorentz transformation after this, before it there is just the time dilatation:
1613477091707.png

The figure he cites is another figure, but at least this expression for the time i could found using the interval invariance ds². For the length contraction, i can't see how he deduced it. And i don't want to use the interval invariance again, i am trying to gain some insights using just the graphic.

Herculi said:
But he derive the Lorentz transformation after this, before it there is just the time dilatation:
View attachment 278102
The figure he cites is another figure, but at least this expression for the time i could found using the interval invariance ds². For the length contraction, i can't see how he deduced it. And i don't want to use the interval invariance again, i am trying to gain some insights using just the graphic.
This is difficult without seeing the full derivation of everything in your book.

What book is this? Just out of interest.

PeroK said:
This is difficult without seeing the full derivation of everything in your book.

What book is this? Just out of interest.
Bernard Schutz, a first course.
1613503896690.png
That's the image for the time dilatation, the curves in the graph are hyperbolae.

A first course in GR?

If so, a GR book is usually not the best place to learn SR. You generally get a concise review of SR aimed at refreshing what you already know and to familiarize yourself with the authors notation.

I think what you are supposed to do is note that ##\mathcal{C}## lies on an invariant hyperbola (see the curve ##\mathcal{EF}## in Figure 1.11) that satisfies ##-t^2+x^2=l^2## (section 1.7). You also note that the ##\bar{x}## axis is the line ##t=vx## and solve simultaneously for ##x## and ##t##.

I find Schutz helpful, but he does sometimes seem to skim over things which (IMO) need a bit more detail.

Likes PeroK
Say angle between t axis and ##\bar{t}## axis ##\theta##, law of sines on triangle ABC says
[tex]\frac{AC}{sin(\frac{\pi}{2}+\theta)}=\frac{AB}{sin(\frac{\pi}{2}-2\theta)}[/tex]
[tex]AB=\frac{\cos 2\theta}{\cos\theta}AC=\frac{\cos^2\theta-sin^2\theta}{\cos\theta}AC[/tex]

Magic : sin and cos are replaced by sinh and cosh,
where ##\tanh \theta=v## where c=1

[tex]AB=\sqrt{1-v^2}AC [/tex]

We can do the similar to take ##\theta## pure imaginary angle.
I hope this magic is meaningful.

Last edited:
Do you still need help? This seems like a trivial case of length contraction with ##c## replaced by 1. The formula is saying the proper length ##l## is contracted down to ##\gamma l##.

Herculi said:
Homework Statement:: ...
Relevant Equations:: ...

View attachment 278099
Hello, i can't understand how does the author found this expression relating ##x_{c}## and v. I already tried by a lot of geometrical ways, knowing that the tangent of the angle between the dotted line and the x-axis should be v, but the results are illogical. Could you help me? I am start to thinking it is a postulate ...

1. What is Lorentz contraction?

Lorentz contraction, also known as length contraction, is a phenomenon in which an object appears shorter in the direction of its motion when viewed by an observer in a different frame of reference. This is a consequence of the theory of special relativity, which states that the speed of light is constant and the laws of physics are the same for all inertial observers.

2. How does Lorentz contraction affect the measurement of time?

According to the theory of special relativity, time also appears to be dilated or stretched for an object in motion relative to an observer. This means that time will appear to pass slower for an object in motion compared to an observer at rest. This is known as time dilation and is closely related to Lorentz contraction.

3. What is a Spacetime diagram?

A Spacetime diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between space and time in special relativity. It is a two-dimensional diagram in which the horizontal axis represents space and the vertical axis represents time. Objects in motion are represented by lines on the diagram, and the slope of these lines represents the object's velocity.

4. How is Lorentz contraction illustrated on a Spacetime diagram?

Lorentz contraction is illustrated on a Spacetime diagram by the fact that the lines representing objects in motion are tilted compared to the lines representing objects at rest. This tilt is a visual representation of the length contraction that occurs when an object is in motion.

5. Can Lorentz contraction be observed in everyday life?

Yes, Lorentz contraction can be observed in everyday life, although the effects are usually only noticeable when objects are moving at speeds close to the speed of light. For example, particles in a particle accelerator appear to be contracted when they are moving at high speeds. Additionally, GPS satellites must take into account the effects of Lorentz contraction in order to provide accurate location data on Earth.