LRC Series Circuit Critical Damping

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of critical damping in a circuit and the confusion around the answers in the textbook. It is clarified that overdamping occurs when R^2 is greater than 4L/C and underdamping occurs when R^2 is less than 4L/C. It is also explained that R^2 is fixed at 4 and is compared to 4L/C to determine the type of damping.
rugerts

Homework Statement

IMG_1189.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempted solution is above and here https://imgur.com/8RmDMf8/
I'm confused as to the answers in the book being i and iii (I just don't see how i is included). If critical damping occurs at the value above, and if you go above you've got over damping and below underdamping, I don't see how my math isn't working out. I must be missing something. Any advice? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1189.jpg
    IMG_1189.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 764
Physics news on Phys.org
You're misapplying the conditional test.

Overdamping occurs when ##R^2 > \frac{4L}{C}##, which it certainly is in the first case.

Underdamping occurs when ##R^2 < \frac{4L}{C}##, which it certainly is in the second case.

gneill said:
You're misapplying the conditional test.

Overdamping occurs when ##R^2 > \frac{4L}{C}##, which it certainly is in the first case.

Underdamping occurs when ##R^2 < \frac{4L}{C}##, which it certainly is in the second case.

What am I missing?
My R^2 value for case i was 2 which is less than 4. Underdamping
My R^2 value for case ii was 8 which is greater than 4. Overdamping

rugerts said:
What am I missing?
My R^2 value for case i was 2 which is less than 4. Underdamping
My R^2 value for case ii was 8 which is greater than 4. Overdamping
R^2 is fixed at 4. You compare the value of R2 to 4L/C.

i) Since R2 > 4L/C, the circuit is overdamped.
ii) Since R2 < 4L/C, the circuit is underdamped.

gneill said:
R^2 is fixed at 4. You compare the value of R2 to 4L/C.

i) Since R2 > 4L/C, the circuit is overdamped.
ii) Since R2 < 4L/C, the circuit is underdamped.
Oh, I see. Thank you.

You're very welcome. Happy to help.

1. What is a LRC series circuit?

A LRC series circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in a series. This type of circuit is commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.

2. What is critical damping in a LRC series circuit?

Critical damping in a LRC series circuit refers to the point at which the damping factor is equal to the critical damping factor. This means that the circuit is able to dissipate all the energy stored in the inductor and capacitor without any oscillations.

3. How is critical damping achieved in a LRC series circuit?

Critical damping in a LRC series circuit can be achieved by adjusting the resistance (R) in the circuit. The resistance value must be equal to the square root of the product of the inductance (L) and capacitance (C) in the circuit.

4. What are the benefits of critical damping in a LRC series circuit?

Critical damping in a LRC series circuit prevents the circuit from oscillating and dissipates energy efficiently. This can help to improve the performance and stability of electronic devices.

5. What happens if a LRC series circuit is underdamped or overdamped?

If a LRC series circuit is underdamped, it means that the damping factor is less than the critical damping factor. This will result in the circuit oscillating before settling to its steady state. On the other hand, if the circuit is overdamped, the damping factor is greater than the critical damping factor, which will cause the circuit to take longer to reach its steady state.