Lubrication Theory: Fluid Flow and Integration

In summary, the conversation revolves around modelling a fluid flow for a coating process between a moving plane and a stationary cylinder. The equations and substitutions used for solving the problem are discussed, with one person seeking clarification on a specific parameter. Eventually, the conversation shifts towards finding the coating thickness and the relationship between the throughput rate and velocity.
E.T.A.
Basically, I'm modelling the flow of a "coating" process -- a fluid flow between a flat moving plane and a stationary cylinder, 2D, cartesian coordinates. Subscript 0 is the at the minimum height b/w the plane and the cylinder, and subscript c is at the point at which the flow leaves the moving plane-cylinder system and into the infinite-length "coating" mechanism. Diagram below:
BpqfMbr.png

and the governing equations:

0OgwSXM.png

so, here's where I'm at:

• I don't really get the need for the substitution (or is it some dimensionless parameter?). It feels pretty arbitrary right now and it's frustrating.
  • I have subbed in the value for h into the eq. for dp/dx, and then attempted to solve that ODE via direct integration (?), which yields something pretty nasty. And, unfortunately, I'm not quite getting at which stage the given substitution's meant to happen (or -again- why), and quite where the sins are coming from.
I'm sorry this is so long and my attempt is so weak but I'm kinda lost and I'd be madly grateful for any direction and/or help.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just a straightforward trig substitution to evaluate the integrals of the terms on the right hand side of the equation with respect to x. If they wrote ##x=\sqrt{2Rh_0}tan\theta##, would it make more sense to you?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
This is just a straightforward trig substitution to evaluate the integrals of the terms on the right hand side of the equation with respect to x. If they wrote ##x=\sqrt{2Rh_0}tan\theta##, would it make more sense to you?

Chet
Yeah. Thanks, man. The answer fell out pretty easy when I stopped looking for a difficulty that wasn't there.

Hey, I'm stuck again!

I'm really not sure where to start with this and I'm not ~quite~ sure where I'm meant to be working to :(

Would really appreciate any help.

Don't think the image uploaded:
UsSbr28.jpg

wait: b/c γ=tan^-1 (x/sqrt (2Rh_o)), and the limit of this as x --> negative infinity will = -pi/2, thefore p (-pi/2) = 0, which would allow for the solution for the unknown c in tbe eq. for pressure (?). then, using p(γ_c)=0 the final answer can then be constructed?

this seems wrong and overly simplistic, and I have neglected the given info about the pressure grad.

help!

I have actually solved this now :)

hey, quick question: for this system to work, would the the height at x=0 (h_0) have to be smaller than that at h_inifinty? i.e. the pressure generation is biggest at the start of the system?

E.T.A. said:
hey, quick question: for this system to work, would the the height at x=0 (h_0) have to be smaller than that at h_inifinty? i.e. the pressure generation is biggest at the start of the system?
I don't fully understand this question. You are approximating the shape of the cylinder by a parabola. h_0 is the minimum clearance, so all other h values are larger. Your original equation tells you that the pressure gradient is not largest when h is large.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I don't fully understand this question. You are approximating the shape of the cylinder by a parabola. h_0 is the minimum clearance, so all other h values are larger. Your original equation tells you that the pressure gradient is not largest when h is large.

Chet

Apologies for replying to an old thread, but I'm doing the same task this week as OP. Do you know how y_c allows for h_c to be found?

Attachments

• Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 114
Can you please define y_c?

Chestermiller said:
Can you please define y_c?

I don't quite know, it's one of the things I'm trying to understand. In the earlier task it states that Y_c is where the liquid separates from the surface of the cylinder. From what I also understood is that Y is an angle with lots of values but Y_c is some critical or specific value of Y.

nonotje12 said:
I don't quite know, it's one of the things I'm trying to understand. In the earlier task it states that Y_c is where the liquid separates from the surface of the cylinder. From what I also understood is that Y is an angle with lots of values but Y_c is some critical or specific value of Y.

Wow I can see my answer now. I believe that if you have the specific angle then you should obviously know at what width the separation begins. But I can't see how I would begin to establish a continuity of flow argument to find the coating thickness.

nonotje12 said:
Apologies for replying to an old thread, but I'm doing the same task this week as OP. Do you know how y_c allows for h_c to be found?
Are the parameter symbols in this analysis the same as those in the OPs original post?

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
Are the parameter symbols in this analysis the same as those in the OPs original post?
Yes they are

I think you should consider setting the pressure gradient from post #5 equal to the pressure gradient from post #1 (evaluated at the separation location). At least that is what I would try.

Likes nonotje12
Chestermiller said:
I think you should consider setting the pressure gradient from post #5 equal to the pressure gradient from post #1 (evaluated at the separation location). At least that is what I would try.

Here is my attempt, but I can't seem to get rid of U, (the speed of the plane surface)

Attachments

• photo5990348908624196653.jpg
    photo5990348908624196653.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 100
You are aware that ##h_{\infty}=Q/U## right?

Likes etotheipi and nonotje12
Chestermiller said:
You are aware that ##h_{infty}=Q/U## right?

no wasn't aware of that, can I find that somewhere?

The throughput rate per unit width Q has to be equal to the velocity U times the final thickness ##h_{\infty}##. That is simply conservation of mass.

Likes nonotje12 and etotheipi

Related to Lubrication Theory: Fluid Flow and Integration

1. What is lubrication theory and why is it important in fluid dynamics?

Lubrication theory is a branch of fluid dynamics that studies the behavior of fluids in thin layers or films. It is important because it helps to understand the flow of fluids in confined spaces, such as between two moving surfaces, and is crucial in the design and operation of machinery and equipment.

2. How does lubrication theory explain fluid flow in different types of systems?

Lubrication theory explains fluid flow in different systems by considering the interactions between the fluid and the surfaces it flows over. It takes into account factors such as viscosity, surface roughness, and pressure gradients to determine how the fluid will behave in different types of systems.

3. What are the key assumptions made in lubrication theory?

The key assumptions made in lubrication theory include the fluid being incompressible, Newtonian, and laminar, the surfaces being smooth and parallel, and the flow being steady and unidirectional. These assumptions simplify the equations and make them easier to solve, but they may not accurately represent all real-world situations.

4. How is lubrication theory applied in practical engineering and industrial settings?

Lubrication theory is applied in practical engineering and industrial settings to optimize the performance and efficiency of machinery and equipment. It is used to determine the most effective lubricant to use, the appropriate thickness of the lubricating film, and the best operating conditions for the system.

5. What are some limitations of lubrication theory?

Some limitations of lubrication theory include its inability to accurately model turbulent flow, its assumptions that may not hold true in all situations, and its simplified equations that may not capture all the complexities of real-world systems. Additionally, lubrication theory does not take into account the effects of temperature and chemical reactions on the fluid and surfaces.