Maclaurin Expansion: Obtaining First 3 Terms

In summary, the conversation discusses the Maclaurin expansion of (1 + sin2x) and how to obtain the first three non-zero terms. The person attempted the question by setting f(x) = (1 + sin2x) and differentiating it until three non-zero terms were obtained. However, there are other ways to approach the problem, such as using the Maclaurin series for sin(x) or the trig formula for sin^2x. It is unclear if the person executed the attack correctly.
MisterMan
Hi, I recently sat my Maths examination and there was a Maclaurin expansion question that I made an attempt at but I think it was wrong, it would be good if I could get help on this, it's too late to be of any real help but it will help me understand where I went wrong:

Obtain the first three non-zero terms in the Maclaurin expansion of (1 + sin2x)

What I done here was, let f(x) = (1 + sin2x) and differentiated until I got three non-zero terms when plugging in x = 0. But I'm not sure if this is "expandable" or whether I need to change sin2x into something that can be expanded.

Did I do the right thing or did I make a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first term is 1.

What you describe sounds like one of several correct ways to attack the problem. Of course, I cannot tell if you executed the attack correctly.

A quicker way (and one probably alluded to by Hurkyl) is to take a couple of terms of the Maclaurin series for sin(x), square them, and then add 1.

Or use the trig formula

[tex]
\sin^{2} x = \frac{1 - \cos{2 x}}{2}
[/tex]

and use the Maclaurin series for the cosine.

Related to Maclaurin Expansion: Obtaining First 3 Terms

1. What is a Maclaurin Expansion?

A Maclaurin Expansion is a mathematical representation of a function using a series of terms that are based on the values of the function's derivatives at a specific point, usually x=0. It is similar to a Taylor series, but is specifically centered at x=0.

2. How do you obtain the first 3 terms of a Maclaurin Expansion?

To obtain the first 3 terms of a Maclaurin Expansion, you need to take the first 3 derivatives of the function at x=0 and evaluate them at that point. The first term will be the function's value at x=0, the second term will be the first derivative at x=0, and the third term will be the second derivative at x=0 divided by 2 factorial.

3. Why is it important to obtain the first 3 terms of a Maclaurin Expansion?

The first 3 terms of a Maclaurin Expansion provide a good approximation of the function near x=0. This is useful in many applications, such as in physics and engineering, where precise calculations are needed and can be simplified by using these terms.

4. What are some common functions that can be represented by a Maclaurin Expansion?

Some common functions that can be represented by a Maclaurin Expansion include polynomials, exponential functions, trigonometric functions, and logarithmic functions. However, any function that is infinitely differentiable at x=0 can be represented by a Maclaurin Expansion.

5. Can the first 3 terms of a Maclaurin Expansion be used to approximate the entire function?

In most cases, the first 3 terms of a Maclaurin Expansion will only provide a good approximation of the function near x=0. In order to accurately approximate the entire function, a larger number of terms or a different method of approximation may be needed.