Mag of Electric Field at a point between 2 Parallel Plates

In summary, the figure shows two infinite parallel plates, one at +60V and the other at 0V, with a distance of 20cm between them. Point C is located 15cm from the left plate and 5cm from the right plate. The magnitude of the electric field at point C can be calculated using the equation E = -(ΔV) / (d * cosθ), where ΔV is the potential difference (60V), d is the distance between the plates (20cm), and cosθ is the angular dependency (1). Using this equation, the field strength at point C is found to be 300 V/m.
blue_lilly

Homework Statement

The figure below shows two parallel plates. Assume they are infinite in area (this way we can neglect edge effects). The plate on the left is at a potential of +60V and the plate on the right is at a potential of 0V. The plates are a distance 20cm apart and the dashed lines are spaced equally 5cm apart.
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/66183
*If the image doesn't work there is a positive plate on the left and a negative plate on the right. The distance between the 2 plates is 20cm. Point C is located 15 cm from the left plate and 5 cm from the right plate.*

What is the magnitude of the electric field at point C?

Homework Equations

ΔV= - E * d * cosθ
E = - (ΔV) / ( d * cosθ )

The Attempt at a Solution

I know ΔV=60 and cosθ= cos(0)= 1. I am given d=20 cm between the two plates.

At first I was using d= 0.2, [E=-(60)/(.2*1)=300 N/C] but that answer is wrong, i think because the d=.2 value is for the whole system and not "Point C".

So I thought that I should be using a d value that corresponds with the "Point C".

What i am confused about is "Point C" is located at either the 5 cm or the 15 cm mark, depending which direction you are going. So it could either be...
E = - (60) / ( .15 * 1 ) = 400 N/C
or
E = - (60) / ( .05 * 1 ) = 1200 N/C

However the website says both of these are wrong and I am not really sure why.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The electric field has the same strength everywhere, so your first approach is correct (and you don't need the angular dependency there). The field strength does not depend on the position of C, as long as C is between the plates.

If the electric field would be different for different points, none of your approaches would work.

Maybe the website got confused with N/C? V/m is another way to express the field strength.

Ok, the program required V/m not N/C, thank you for you're help!

Related to Mag of Electric Field at a point between 2 Parallel Plates

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of the electric field at a point between two parallel plates?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of the electric field at a point between two parallel plates is E = V/d, where E is the electric field, V is the potential difference between the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

2. How does the distance between the plates affect the magnitude of the electric field?

The magnitude of the electric field is directly proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that as the distance between the plates increases, the electric field decreases.

3. What is the direction of the electric field between two parallel plates?

The electric field between two parallel plates is always perpendicular to the plates. This means that it points either towards or away from the plates, depending on the charge distribution on the plates.

4. How does the potential difference between the plates affect the magnitude of the electric field?

The magnitude of the electric field is directly proportional to the potential difference between the plates. This means that as the potential difference increases, the electric field also increases.

5. Can the magnitude of the electric field be negative between two parallel plates?

Yes, the magnitude of the electric field can be negative between two parallel plates. This occurs when the charges on the plates are opposite in sign, causing the electric field to point in the opposite direction to the usual convention.