Magnetic energy density & inductance of a current carrying wire

In summary, we discussed the calculation of magnetic energy per unit length for a long straight wire with uniform current distribution. The correct expression for this is u=B^2/(2\mi_{o}\ ). We also looked at the contribution of a single long wire to inductance per unit length, which can be calculated using the formula L=\mi_{o}\ =\ 4\pi\ \timesN^2A\ 10^{-7}/l, where N is the number of turns per unit length and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire.
physicsidiot1

Homework Statement

A long straight wire of radius r=a carries a current I uniformly distributed over its cross section. Show that the magnetic energy per unit length (energy density u=B^2/2mu) is given by [tex]\mi_{o}\ =\ 4\pi\ \timesI^2\ 10^{-7}[/tex]/16pi. What is the contribution that a single long wire makes to the inductance per unit length if we consider only the internal magnetic energy?

Homework Equations

U=.5[tex]\mi_{o}\ =\ 4\pi\ \timesl*A*I^2\ 10^{-7}[/tex]
u=B^2/[tex]\mi_{o}\ =\ 4\pi\ \times\ 10^{-7}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the obvious and plugged in B=[tex]\mi_{o}\ =\ 4\pi\ \timesI\ 10^{-7}[/tex]/2piR but I ended up with a result that was off by 2 and the radius term was still there. I cannot figure out where I am going wrong. As for the second part of the question concerning the contribution to inductance, I am completely lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be appreciated.

Regarding the first part of your question, it seems like you have the right approach but there may be a small error in your calculation. The correct expression for magnetic energy per unit length is u=B^2/(2\mi_{o}\ ), so the final answer should be u=\mi_{o}\ =\ 4\pi\ \timesI^2\ 10^{-7}/16pi. As for the second part of the question, the contribution of a single long wire to inductance per unit length can be calculated using the formula L=\mi_{o}\ =\ 4\pi\ \timesN^2A\ 10^{-7}/l, where N is the number of turns per unit length and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire. Since we are only considering the internal magnetic energy, we can assume that N=1 and A=\pi*r^2, where r is the radius of the wire. This gives us an inductance per unit length of L=\mi_{o}\ =\ 4\pi\ \times\pi*r^2\ 10^{-7}/l. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is magnetic energy density?

Magnetic energy density refers to the amount of magnetic energy stored per unit volume in a magnetic field. It is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field.

2. How is magnetic energy density calculated?

Magnetic energy density can be calculated by multiplying the square of the magnetic field strength (in teslas) by the permeability of the medium (in henries per meter).

3. What is inductance?

Inductance is a measure of the ability of a current-carrying conductor to produce an electromagnetic field. It is the ratio of the magnetic flux through a circuit to the current flowing in the circuit.

4. How is inductance affected by a current carrying wire?

The inductance of a current carrying wire depends on the length and shape of the wire, the material it is made of, and the presence of any nearby conductors or magnetic materials. In general, as the current through a wire increases, so does the inductance.

5. What is the significance of magnetic energy density and inductance in practical applications?

Magnetic energy density and inductance are important concepts in many areas of science and technology, including electromagnetics, electrical engineering, and physics. They are used to design and optimize electrical circuits, motors, generators, and other devices that use magnetic fields. Understanding these concepts also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as wireless power transfer and magnetic levitation.