Magnetic moment of a massless charged Fermion?

In summary, the spin magnetic moment of a charged, spin-1/2 particle is determined by the g-factor, charge, mass, and spin. However, for particles with zero mass, this expression does not make sense and it is not allowed in quantum theories. In classical theories, an electric field has an energy density and therefore a non-zero mass, making all charged particles necessarily massive. In non-Abelian theories, such as QED coupled to spin-1/2 fermions, the concept of massless charged particles becomes more complicated and may not exist in a classical limit.
The spin magnetic moment of a charged, spin-1/2 particle is
$$g \frac e {2m} \frac \hbar 2$$
where g is the g-factor (2 for any particle in tree-level approximation, 2.00231930436182 for electron),
e is charge
m is mass
##\frac \hbar 2## is spin

But with zero mass this expression does not make sense.
What does it mean?
"Massless charged fermions are not allowed in quantum theories"?
Or "massless charged fermions have infinite magnetic moment"??

Physics news on Phys.org
nikkkom said:
"Massless charged fermions are not allowed in quantum theories"?

Or in classical theories.

An electric field has an energy density, and thus an energy, and thus a mass. While actually calculating this mass has its problems, the fact that it is non-zero is manifest.

Vanadium 50 said:
An electric field has an energy density, and thus an energy, and thus a mass. While actually calculating this mass has its problems, the fact that it is non-zero is manifest.

A similar argument would apply to color charge of gluons, making them massive as well?

nikkkom said:
A similar argument would apply to color charge of gluons, making them massive as well?

So the reason you want to drag in non-Abelian theories is you feel that my answer isn't complicated enough? This is an I-level thread.

I'm trying to understand the implications. Are all charged particles necessarily massive?

1. Because of confinement, there are no free gluons
  2. Because gluons carry a flux tube with them, on small scales they appear massive.
  3. Because of asymptotic freedom, at even smaller scales their effective mass approaches zero.
OK, now we've added all the complications of a non-Abelian theory. I don't understand how this helps, though.

A massless particle would move at the speed of light. How do you imagine would its electromagnetic field look like? It doesn’t work.

Vanadium 50 said:
Because of asymptotic freedom, at even smaller scales their effective mass approaches zero.

Oops..missed part. "...but so does their effective charge."

There are certainly valid QFTs with gauge fields coupled to massless matter fields. One example I'm familiar with is (2+1)-dimensional QED coupled to ##N## spin-1/2 Dirac fermions, which is conformally invariant for ##N## large enough (the exact minimum value of ##N## needed is an open question). Condensed matter theorists call this a U(1) spin liquid, and may describe the low-energy physics of certain frustrated magnets. But this is a strongly-interacting theory without a well-defined notion of a "particle," so I'm not sure asking about the magnetic moment still makes sense.

I strongly suspect that a classical theory of massless charged particles doesn't exist. I don't think the above theory has a classical limit. In (3+1) dimensions, QED coupled to spin-1/2 fermions should flow to weak coupling, and without a mass to cut off the RG flow in the IR I suspect it would flow to a trivial theory (the "classical charge" is just zero).

What is a magnetic moment of a massless charged Fermion?

The magnetic moment of a massless charged Fermion is a measure of the magnetic strength of the particle. It is a vector quantity that describes the orientation and magnitude of the particle's magnetic field.

How is the magnetic moment of a massless charged Fermion calculated?

The magnetic moment of a massless charged Fermion is calculated using the particle's charge, mass, and spin. The equation for calculating the magnetic moment is μ = (q/2m)S, where q is the charge, m is the mass, and S is the spin.

What is the significance of the magnetic moment of a massless charged Fermion?

The magnetic moment of a massless charged Fermion is important in understanding the behavior of particles in magnetic fields. It also plays a crucial role in various physical phenomena, such as the Aharonov-Bohm effect and the anomalous magnetic moment.

How does the magnetic moment of a massless charged Fermion differ from a massive charged Fermion?

The main difference between the magnetic moment of a massless charged Fermion and a massive charged Fermion is that the magnetic moment of a massless particle does not depend on its mass. This means that the magnetic moment of a massless charged Fermion is constant, while the magnetic moment of a massive charged Fermion can vary depending on its mass.

Can the magnetic moment of a massless charged Fermion be measured?

Yes, the magnetic moment of a massless charged Fermion can be measured using experimental techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or particle accelerators. These methods allow scientists to determine the magnetic moment of particles with high precision.